Adding a Pup with an Older dog

jmnhunter

Wife and I decided we will probably add a pup to the family next year.

I need to re-read one of my books to touch up on the basics

My main inquiries are that my current dog isnt the best waterfowler as he isnt steady in the blind--as soon as we start shooting, hes out running trying to find the ducks--I'm assuming I'll need to keep the old dog home and bring the pup with to try to fix this for the future

Check cord for the pup during the pheasant hunts needed? The current dog stays close most of the time unless he gets on a running bird which he will run until the bird flushes which can be frustrating if I cant keep up...

Please feel free to provide more advice

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the time gets closer...

Labs?
Ducks Older dog, you train to”hup ” ( meaning sit until released) and don’t move until released In the yard, then enforce it in the field meaning you don’t bring a gun you handle the dog while your friends do any shooting

Teach the dog simple handling while you are at it

For pheasants both dogs train to hup on voice command first then on whistle, one toot hup ( sit stay until released) two toots release. Use a touch on their head to release them and a verbal “ok” Before you move to the whistle training

Now you arenÂ’t chasing the dog while itÂ’s chasing pheasants.

Both simple things to teach, once they understand the commands use an ecollar to enforce without birds present, that way enforcing the command will not be associated with the birds

Once they really understand they are getting corrected for moving when they arenÂ’t released, you can start using them hunting

“Hup” is an older book by James Spencer buy it and read it follow his method

Have fun make it fun for the dog also

Last edited:
Wife and I decided we will probably add a pup to the family next year.

I need to re-read one of my books to touch up on the basics

My main inquiries are that my current dog isnt the best waterfowler as he isnt steady in the blind--as soon as we start shooting, hes out running trying to find the ducks--I'm assuming I'll need to keep the old dog home and bring the pup with to try to fix this for the future

Check cord for the pup during the pheasant hunts needed? The current dog stays close most of the time unless he gets on a running bird which he will run until the bird flushes which can be frustrating if I cant keep up...

Please feel free to provide more advice

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the time gets closer...

this is easy to fix....and he should be steady if you are ever going to teach your new pup to be steady too.

thanks guys-- yes Labs; at this point though, do I even bring the older 'pup' with me duck hunting, I wont be able to teach him at this point to sit still-I tried and tried when he was younger and I failed

As for pheasant hunting, yes, I would like for the new pup to sit to whistle no matter what; my current dog will do that but not if hes on a bird (i can do this in the yard with frozen birds and he will but not in real life situations)--but will the new puppy pick up on the older dogs not sitting even though I'm there to reinforce the new rules?

Last edited:
The older dog doesn't teach as much as you do. If you have failed to control the old dog, the new dog will most likely end up the same way. Training takes time and patience. I am limited on both so when they reach an age of frustration for me and my limited ability, I send them to a trainer. If you pick the right trainer you will be amazed at what their time, patience, and expertise can do to help your dog succeed. Most dogs problems start with the handler. We all have good intentions but I for one am limited on my ability. Left to me my dogs would not be as good as they are. I send them all to a trainer. Good luck picking the new pup! Start your process of looking at breeders now.

I will inquire how much a training would be as I wont have nearly as much time as I did before we had kids; I may also be downplaying my current dog's abilities as I am very proud on how well he does 99% of the time pheasant hunting; duck hunting I guess doesnt bother me as much as I dont get out as much for ducks anyhow, would much rather have a better phes dog.

:thumbsup:

I will inquire how much a training would be as I wont have nearly as much time as I did before we had kids; I may also be downplaying my current dog's abilities as I am very proud on how well he does 99% of the time pheasant hunting; duck hunting I guess doesnt bother me as much as I dont get out as much for ducks anyhow, would much rather have a better phes dog.

:thumbsup:

I used to chase my dog after pheasants as well. The problem was I am not as fast as the dog. Now because of obedience training I have dogs that have way more energy than my first dog, but understand the role of an e-collar! Most of the time a simple vibration or nick is all they need when they are hot on a bird. They come back to me and I heel them until I get close to where they were chasing. They do not forget about that bird and they are back on immediately. Now I have a chance at that bird without running through a field. It is a more enjoyable experience for me and the dog. As far as training, tell your trainer what you want. Explain the hunting you do and what you expect of the dog. Ask questions more than give them answers. They should be able to do what you need in 1-2 months. The dog is better then at home, in the field, and every place you take them. Good luck! By the way where are you from? Lots of good trainers around the country you shouldn't have to go far.

Get the dvd Fowl Dawgs. It will help you. You need to join a training group or really brush up on teaching basic obedience. It is not that your old dog is not steady, but that you have not taught that skill or re-inforced it. Training starts in the yard, not in the hunting field. Your putting the cart before the horse, teach first, hunt later. Your new pup will need a proper upbringing then at 6 months of age begin a training program which will take 3 to 4 months. As far as the new pup picking up the habits of the older dog, he is more likely to pick up your habits unless you change your training approach.

Get the dvd Fowl Dawgs. It will help you. You need to join a training group or really brush up on teaching basic obedience. It is not that your old dog is not steady, but that you have not taught that skill or re-inforced it. Training starts in the yard, not in the hunting field. Your putting the cart before the horse, teach first, hunt later. Your new pup will need a proper upbringing then at 6 months of age begin a training program which will take 3 to 4 months. As far as the new pup picking up the habits of the older dog, he is more likely to pick up your habits unless you change your training approach.

Both Golden Boy and West K.
Have given you good solid advice—which ever you plan or will follow-
I would recommend you do both—
Use and work with a pro—as Much for you as the dog
And get fowl dogs as well to follow up on—
JMO I6

Back