Adding a Pudelpointer

dag

As the title says, I am debating adding a Pudelpointer to our house. We currently have a 5 year old Braque Francais who has been an incredible house and hunting dog. I love how low maintenance he is and how calm he is in the house. That being said, I do occasionally pass shoot ducks here in Vail Colorado and he does not love the water and it is far too cold to bring him anyway. I hunt tons of Blue Grouse here in Colorado as well as Sage Grouse, Quail and Pheasant. I also go to SD twice a year to hunt the Grasslands.
So my question is, Would a Pudelpointer fit the bill? I love our current dog but would love to have the water work and maybe just a little more intensity.
Thanks, David

I added one here a couple of months ago. The guy I got her from does a lot of duck hunting and couldn’t say enough good things about them. I have hunted pheasant with them a couple times and felt one would be a good fit. Hunted quick but not crazy, good stamina. Mine seems smart and is a very strong dog even at 20lbs. I think one would do what you wanted. Strong retriever instincts. Btw very little shedding is a nice plus.

Reactions: dag
I added one here a couple of months ago. The guy I got her from does a lot of duck hunting and couldn’t say enough good things about them. I have hunted pheasant with them a couple times and felt one would be a good fit. Hunted quick but not crazy, good stamina. Mine seems smart and is a very strong dog even at 20lbs. I think one would do what you wanted. Strong retriever instincts. Btw very little shedding is a nice plus.
Thanks for the feed back. My concern with them is,
Stamina, grouse hunting in September is usually pretty warm
Range, want a dog that will work around 100 yards
Uplands, most of the videos i see of them is waterfowling. While I do shoot some ducks, there is nothing better then walking up to a dog on point

I really don’t think stamina would be any more of an issue for them than for any other dog. Regardless of breed an 80 degree day is going to limit the amount of time in the field. As to range, that seems to be about right. I didn’t get the impression they were ranging too far, but worked at a fairly good pace. Seemed to have good noses. There are plenty of hunting videos of them online in the field. Most look to be in that range

Mine is 10. She was a handful for several years. Her hunting instincts are 110% non stop. I've still never seen her lay down outside and just relax. She points pheasants well but when we Grouse hunt she's usually out of sight and learned to flush them when I'm not within site. It has worked out ok. Half the time they fly my way. Mine is not the brightest bulb and because of that I won't get another. And oh my does she love fur.

Mine is 10. She was a handful for several years. Her hunting instincts are 110% non stop. I've still never seen her lay down outside and just relax. She points pheasants well but when we Grouse hunt she's usually out of sight and learned to flush them when I'm not within site. It has worked out ok. Half the time they fly my way. Mine is not the brightest bulb and because of that I won't get another. And oh my does she love fur.
I’m surprised, your the first to tell me they weren’t happy with theirs.

I’m surprised, your the first to tell me they weren’t happy with theirs.
Funny I find mine to be very smart and trainable. My wife has three cats and it was an issue in the beginning as her prey drive is very strong. Took about a month but she has learned no and off quickly and it is not much of an issue any longer. Same with the god awful amount of rabbits in the yard.

Funny I find mine to be very smart and trainable. My wife has three cats and it was an issue in the beginning as her prey drive is very strong. Took about a month but she has learned no and off quickly and it is not much of an issue any longer. Same with the god awful amount of rabbits in the yard.
Everyone I’ve talked to has said the same, super smart, trainable, great in the house

All individual dogs are different regardless of breed. Mine is what she is. Ours is part of the family and I don't dislike her. She's a good girl but not what others have experienced with the breed. My other dogs have all varied in intelligence, just like people.

Anyone know what size ruff tough for a Pudelpointer? Getting a male, dad is close to 70# and mom is 47#.
thanks

One of these is coming home next month

Attachments

• BD8C79B0-A50F-4503-A933-DEF55ACC493C.jpeg
    BD8C79B0-A50F-4503-A933-DEF55ACC493C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • A3985B45-30F7-4D20-884E-73BC000C9B0E.jpeg
    A3985B45-30F7-4D20-884E-73BC000C9B0E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
That’s exciting Dag! Let us know how he works out throughout the training process. I hear nothing but good about them too and I think it’s a great choice considering versatility required for upland and waterfowling in extreme conditions. Grats once again on the new addition!

That’s exciting Dag! Let us know how he works out throughout the training process. I hear nothing but good about them too and I think it’s a great choice considering versatility required for upland and waterfowling in extreme conditions. Grats once again on the new addition!
Thanks! Pretty excited. I too have never anything but great things. We’ll see how it goes. I love my Braque but life it too short not to try a different breed.

Anyone know what size ruff tough for a Pudelpointer? Getting a male, dad is close to 70# and mom is 47#.
thanks
My PP female's father is a tall 70# dig, mom more petite. Was hoping for a an smaller pup, but she also grew to 70#. Bought the Ruff Tuff intermediate which works, but dog would likely prefer the large. She's only kenneled for travel and not in the house so it works out alright. Love the kennel design, weight, durability and easy cleaning.

Thanks, I found an intermediate at bass pro for $200. Couldn’t pass up the deal. Will use it for travel.

Meet Indee, brought her home mid April and she is a hoot.. very energetic but settles in the house. Super happy so far!

Attachments

• 1E595FFB-4CA9-4BEE-AE96-D3AD6B262556.jpeg
    1E595FFB-4CA9-4BEE-AE96-D3AD6B262556.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 16
  • 4F914C15-47AF-427E-B7DB-9532D168DAA4.jpeg
    4F914C15-47AF-427E-B7DB-9532D168DAA4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
Back