Aberdeen/new dog

SweetWill27

I've been reading posts for a few weeks trying to see how the hunting was going in South Dakota and thought I would join.
Let me introduce myself. I grew up and still live in Utah. Believe it or not Utah 25 years ago had some good pheasant hunting. Not anymore. I grew up looking forward to opening day and hunting with my dad , grandpa , brother and family. Weekends I would hunt with them, weekdays I would sluff school and hunt with my friends. Always had a hunting dog. Because of loss of hunting ground and poor management my dad stopped hunting and I thought pheasant hunting was just something I could tell my kids about. Then my brother in law invited me to go drive 17 hours and hunt in South Dakota. I was not sure but went. First field I was placed as a blocker and literally saw 100 rosters fly over my head. I was in shock. Only hit one but was hooked. For last 12 years been taking my dad, brother and my sons and friends out there. Love it. My boys can even handle the drive. We have hunted different places. Around reliance, Watertown, chamberlain. We hunt two days public and three days on private land provided through uguidephesants . We use our own dogs.
First question. We are going to be hunting in roscoe which is 45 minutes west of Aberdeen. Never been there. Any one know how hunting has been this year. Crops, public private etc.
Second question. Have a new dog. How young is to young? How much is to much?
Sorry for long intro, look forward to any info. Thanks

Wecome to UPH! Sorry, I have no answers to your questions. Look forward to your posts about your upcoming trip to SD.

How old is the pup? I had my 6 month old lab hunting in aberdeen last year. The key to hunting a young dog is your own expecations. Essentially do not have them.. The only real criteria I would use to determine whether or not to hunt a young dog in SD is this.

Obedience - as in will come and listen and heel and stay whenever you want it to..not just when its in your house

Are there other dogs? If so, its a great learning experience for a young dog to hunt behind some seasoned pros.. Just make sure your young pup doesnt interfere (IE trying to steal birds, wants to play in the field etc)

Birds - has it hunted before? (game farm or anything, tied up pigeons etc)

Guns - has the dog been broke to gun fire?

If all are a yes I would take the little guy/gal and let the pup loose for a great time.

In regards to Aberdeen, I did not fair well last year.. It was hit and miss for alot of people in that area. We got our birds but it was a lot tougher than I imagine.. You will find birds in SD..I think the day of 100-200 roosters turning the sky dark are unfortunately behind us.

I agree with LoneRooster. I took my pup to SD for her first hunt. She was almost 10 months old and I just wanted her to get some experience. My brother had two good dogs and she followed them around a bit. She stayed close to me the entire trip and managed to get a few birds. I had low expectations her first year and she greatly exceeded them. It took a few hunts before she really grasped the concept. (She is my first bird dog and I am in no way a trainer.) If the pup listens and has been exposed to gunfire, I think I would hunt it.

Thanks

Thanks for the good info. We are going to SD in three weeks so I will continue to take him out here with my older dog and see how he does. Good Luck to everyone

Back