A MI rarity.

GSP

I got into bird hunting because of pheasants. As a kid, some of my most enjoyable memories were of following our farm dogs around and jump shooting pheasants.

Once I got out of school, and had some disposable income, I learned that I could head a couple hours North and hunt grouse, a lot of grouse...

Pheasant hunting here is for chite. Grouse hunting is reasonable so that is what I tend to migrate toward. That said, I will always have a soft spot for Johnny Ringneck.

Now that my brother is pretty much running the farm, he's much more sympathetic to my desires for maintaining habitat.

As a result, we're moving some birds. Very few, but at least when I tell people that we shot a pheaseent, they don't look at me like I'm from Mars.

Had a fun morning today.

P1220443.JPG

Nice!!!!! I know it's tough in that state! Glad you're havinf fun! Thanks for the pic!

Rod

Good photo, Congrats on you habitat projects. :10sign:

I got into bird hunting because of pheasants. As a kid, some of my most enjoyable memories were of following our farm dogs around and jump shooting pheasants.

Once I got out of school, and had some disposable income, I learned that I could head a couple hours North and hunt grouse, a lot of grouse...

Pheasant hunting here is for chite. Grouse hunting is reasonable so that is what I tend to migrate toward. That said, I will always have a soft spot for Johnny Ringneck.

Now that my brother is pretty much running the farm, he's much more sympathetic to my desires for maintaining habitat.

As a result, we're moving some birds. Very few, but at least when I tell people that we shot a pheaseent, they don't look at me like I'm from Mars.

Had a fun morning today.

P1220443.JPG

Great pic! Thanks for sharing.

I agree with jmac, very nice thread. I appreciate seeing and hearing stories like yours. Drop by often and join in the fun..........Bob

keep after it, you will soon have one of the few pheasant honey-holes left in MI...beautiful GSP......great photo, thanks for sharing.

:thumbsup: A SxS man :thumbsup:

For such a pretty bird a picture just never looks as good as the real thing. good looking pics nice looking dog.

This is my bird from last night.

IMAG0150.jpg

Being a MI transplant to KS now I know what it means to shoot a pheasant in MI. Some people will never know the hard work and amount of luck that goes into being able to harvest these fine birds in the great state of MI. I commend you for your dedication to the sport of rooster chasing in MI. I would also say that with you and your brother trying to manage for pheasants that you may want to read the article on the home page of this forum. I think there are some good possibilities for the MI bird enthusiast if the program goes like they want it to. Again like others have said good pics and great job.

I grew up in SE WI hunting pheasants. A good Saturday morning was coming home with a rooster, 2-3 was outstanding. We put a lot of work into the birds we shot and loved it all. A few years back I went to SD and took my youngest brother along. The folks moved north into grouse country before he was old enough to hunt and he never had the experiences I had. In SD we limited every day that first trip. It was awesome. The second trip was vastly different, more like hunting in WI when I was a kid. The brother said he'd never go back. Spoiled kid! For me, that trip was very memorable. It's not limits of birds that define the hunt.

That's a wonderful photo. Congrats on you and your brothers efforts to keep habitat around that will support them.

I've put in a number of hours in MI this year - took 2 and my best friend took his first. I've still got a couple roosters and a few hens out back, but am letting them rest and hopefully make it through to next spring.

Grouse and woodcock are certainly the better choice for MI upland hunting though.

Grouse and woodcock are certainly the better choice for MI upland hunting though.

Without a doubt. Scratched down a couple thunder chickens today. Still, there's something about pheasant hunting...

P1260458.JPG

GSP, Nice! I have a cabin in the UP and was thinking of going up Wednesday. I have never hunted grouse this late in the year. What type of cover should I be focusing on? I think there is about 10" of snow on the ground. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Congrats on the birds, GSP. Good looking dog too.

Back