A little fun

quail hound

I had a chance to extend the season a bit today and run JP in a NAGDA competition and raise some money for cancer awareness at the same time. These are fun events with lots of good people to share stories with but for some reason JP seems to under perform in them which is a bit frustrating for me since I know what kind of hunting dog JP is. Well, JP put together a winning run today.

He started hot out of the gate quartering and using what little wind there was to gulp the air, 5 mins into the run he gets birdy and produces the first pheasant which I drop with a 3/4oz load of 7.5s and JP delivered it to hand as any self respecting Springer would. He continues on with the judge and I in tow and flushes two more birds that I connect on and he delivers. Around 12 mins in JP jumps bird number 4 which should be our last but I miss clean with both barrels, I thought about letting him chase it knowing he will catch it when it lands but it headed over another field of competitors so I called him off and back to heel where I take a moment to water him and gather myself a bit before casting him off again. Only four birds are planted per run but I know the dogs before JP left some extras in the field for him so with a command of "get out" the search continues. The judge informs me that "you have five minutes" as JP works towards a field corner where he puts up bird five for me. I takes me two shots but I hold up my end and so does J with his final retrieve. 17 mins out of an allotted 20, 5 finds, 4 full retrieves, and 7 of 8 shells used for a score of 184 and the win.

Its not quite as satisfying as a wild rooster or a brace of quail is but it felt good for JP to finally put down a winning run.

Last edited:
Way to go-that sure is a great dog and we know the SD wild roosters found out the challenge was theirs ,not his. Way to go JP----YOU MISSED--TWICE--hard to believe. :eek:

Looks like fun off season games! Id be curious of the kennel he's from . What does he weigh?

Thanks guys, he's a real pleasure to hunt over.

UplandHntr. He's from a "backyard" breeder from the Valley here who in his words was trying to "keep around the "old school" dog". Which he described as big, gritty, heavily built dogs with dogs with big liver saddles. I'd have to look at his pedigree again but he has some AFC/FC dogs out of Saradyn Park on both sides. JP was out of the last litter he bred and lives up to what he wanted to a T if maybe just a bit to "gritty" for most I would think. He is on the big side but within standards, he probably goes 50lbs right now but gets down around 45 towards the end of hunting season.

Hey Robert: great bit of writing and congrats to you and your fine dog. And you missed one? Not like you, based on our SD hunt!

Only -10 here this morning...but we have sun! Jonny here in Minneapolis, my best to you.

Nice team effort!

JP did his work, you did yours...the way it's supposed to work.

JP looks serious, like he knows there's pressure on. :D

JP is always all business, the pressure was on me. After I missed the 4th bird I knew if JP couldn't find another bird (and me actually hit it) we would lose and it would be my fault.

Back