a good case for a backup gun

EEK

i just noticed the recoil buffer in my Benelli SBE2 is broken, i could hear it rattling in the butstock so i took it apart and it was in a few pieces. Last time i took it out the gun suddenly quit on me and this must be the reason. Now i have to call Benelli CS and get told it was my fault because i took it apart. Luckily i have a Maxus to use for the phez opener as i am sure it will be a while before i get my other gun up and running again.

I bring a well-loved Remington 1100 whenever I go since the magazine tube spring got stuck in the compressed position on my Benelli Montefeltro and would not feed shells. It's just too far and too costly to have to drive home.

That and the dog would really kick my @$$ if we got into the field and had to leave.

Still, I always worry someone is going to bust in and grab that 1100...

When my buddy and I go to SD, we bring 2 back-up guns each to be more that safe. I didn't need to use a back-up, but last year I used my main Beretta 391 Urika auto most of the time, 1 day my Benelli Sport II which I recently traded on a Beretta 3901, and my trusty 870 1 morning and shot at least 1 rooster with each.

Talked to Benelli CS today and they are sending me a new part, last time it broke the same lady said because i took it apart they wouldnt fix it, must have had a few problems with this part would be my guess, anyway still glad i have a backup but will probably go to a Vinci to get rid of the recoil system in the stock.

I always take a backup. I don't like to use the Red Label in the rain, but don't mind getting the 1100 wet. One year, a young man had a Mossberg and the safety fell off due to a loose screw. He finished the hunt with one of my guns.

Reminds me why I take an arsenal when I go on an extended trip! I have hunted with a guy who bought $50,000 dollar H&H in the off season, opening weekend everytime he shot, the firing pin put a dent in the primer on barrel one, barrel two would fire normally, to add insult to injury, when he opened the gun it would only ejected the unfired round in barrel 1, he had to pry the other one out of barrel 2 with his fingers. A trip to the manufacturer solved the problem but didn't save his trip, or a lifetime of teasing, with the most expensive single shot non-ejector ever. Another friend in his hurry, left his model 23 Winchester on the roof, half a dozen miles down the road at the next stop, we realized it was gone,an immediate voyage back down the road yielded a slightly battered 23 with a broken stock.

I too always bring a backup gun. My back up used to be a browing BPS (this backed up my AL391 Siver Mallard). A few years back I had to use the back up because I put the beretta in the wrong truck and it moved off to different location without me. I got the BPS out and promptly missed the first bird that got up because I was not used to the safety and the action. When I got home I traded the BPS in on a new new Winchester SX2 (which operates much like the Silver Mallard).

Moral of the story: Bring a back up, and make sure it is something you are used to using!

I always take a spare or two on extended trips . . . shotguns, flyrods . . . good luck with the repair. Glad it worked out for you.

Two years ago I took a couple trusted older 16 gauges out to SD and they both went down with problems. Luckily I threw my 12 gauge SxS in the truck at the last minute, almost embarrassed to be taking three, but in the end that gun bailed me out! ;)

I always take a backup. Next week is duck & goose in ND. I am taking the Benelli Supernova, Beretta A400 and the 870. (One can never have too much firepower.)

Back up gun? I always say I'm only bringing one duck gun and one pheasant gun this time. Sure! I end up bringing 5-6 guns, just because I like to get time in the field with as many of my guns as possible. I been lucky, I haven't had a gun go down well on a trip.The last gun I had trouble with was a well used Benelli SBE. I just about wrapped it around a tree, then threw it in the swamp. Bought a replacement two shooter and sold the POS and have never looked back. Glad I wasn't on a trip at the time.

I bring a well-loved Remington 1100 whenever I go since the magazine tube spring got stuck in the compressed position on my Benelli Montefeltro and would not feed shells. It's just too far and too costly to have to drive home.

That and the dog would really kick my @$$ if we got into the field and had to leave.

Still, I always worry someone is going to bust in and grab that 1100...

Don't worry. He couldn't get far with that 1100..... it's too HEAVY! :)

I never go hunting, even if it's five miles from home without a backup gun. I've never needed one, but I take one anyway. If there are several of us, we might take only one or two spares. I usually take a spare pair of socks and glasses too, and I take more ammo than I think I'll need.

Although I've never needed a spare gun, socks or glasses, a friend and I once found ourselves on a field which held several thousand doves, and we each had four or five shells in our pockets. Two minutes later we were out of ammo, and twenty minutes from the car.

I've almost never needed a spare tire either, but I always take one of those too.

I see no reason to leave an extra gun home.

I always take a backup. Next week is duck & goose in ND. I am taking the Benelli Supernova, Beretta A400 and the 870. (One can never have too much firepower.)

How do you like the A400? I have been lookig hard at the A400 Exstreme pretty hard

cracks me up- you beginners-
40 years now where I took one gun to Minn, one gun to Michigan, I gun to Iowa, one gun to Texas, one gun to Nebraska, one gun to Alaska-
backup gun- you shouldn't take a gun on a trip- you shouldn't go on a trip- because the gun might not work to your perfection- and low and behold- your so called great trip might fall short- because the gun you have in your hands might not perform to your expert exspecatations- why even go- stay home and watch TV- if a gun doesn't perform to your precise expected performance- oh wait- it might rain- and you might not have the best performing gear in the world- so you need to bring along two or more of everything

laughing out loud- go on a big game hunt with a guide- he might tell you to go back home-or milder- he might be holding in his laughter as he gets rid of your useless everything backup-

but heck- for beginners and nuts- take three of everything- scary time away from home- and god forbid your gun should fail to perform as expected so you are so dissalusioned as to it was the cause of a total ruin of your what- few hours in the field- kill kill is the hunt right

I wouldn't say that I am there to kill, kill, kill, but duck hunting without a gun is just bird watching.

I always bring a spare gun every time I go out hunting. It has bailed me out several times, and twice this year already. My 11-87 broke 2 weekends in a row on duck trips this year. I did not have the spare in the boat, but both times it saved the rest of the weekend. The hunting partners I was with were nice enough to alternate shots on flock of birds coming in with me using their guns.

40 years now where I took one gun to Minn, one gun to Michigan, I gun to Iowa, one gun to Texas, one gun to Nebraska, one gun to Alaska-
backup gun- you shouldn't take a gun on a trip- you shouldn't go on a trip- because the gun might not work to your perfection- and low and behold- your so called great trip might fall short- because the gun you have in your hands might not perform to your expert exspecatations- why even go- stay home and watch TV- if a gun doesn't perform to your precise expected performance- oh wait- it might rain- and you might not have the best performing gear in the world- so you need to bring along two or more of everything

laughing out loud- go on a big game hunt with a guide- he might tell you to go back home-or milder- he might be holding in his laughter as he gets rid of your useless everything backup-

but heck- for beginners and nuts- take three of everything- scary time away from home- and god forbid your gun should fail to perform as expected so you are so dissalusioned as to it was the cause of a total ruin of your what- few hours in the field- kill kill is the hunt right

Wow, smells like vinegar...

WTH? I would watch who your calling beginners.

Back