A Funny

pheasantaddict

A funny thing happened on the way to the pheasant fields of Iowa. Some where along the way the deer hunters outnumbered the pheasant hunters. Maybe I was just in my small little world and paid no attention to these other people over the years. Now that I started deer hunting, it's hard to believe the change that has taken place. I went to the Iowa Deer Classic today in Des Moines and there was a ton of people young, old, male,female. I have been to 4 Pheasant Fests and never have I seen that many people at a PF. Is this good or bad? I don't know. The pheasant fields aren't crowded with hunters, but they aren't crowded with pheasants either and there's alot fewer fields. For me nothing will take the place of dogs and birds. I did hear some good news today as one of the fields I hunt is getting a good amount of CRP this year. The pendulum is always swinging, maybe the bird hunters will out number the deer hunters again someday in Iowa.

sounds like a good thing if i'm reading into your post right. I'm seeing a slight trend too with women and younger people wanting to get into the outdoors.

Our major problem here in Illinois is the lack of public land. Private land is a big NOPE:(. With little to no public land, those younger people that would like to get involved with hunting have no outlet. It's a real shame:mad:

Hopefully things are better off in Iowa:) --1pheas4

I use to think deer hunting was the shiznik. I got wiser in my old age.

I also started deer hunting before birds. Then I decided to get a dog. Haven't bought a deer tag in a couple of years. I just find it to boring for my taste.

I also started deer hunting before birds. Then I decided to get a dog. Haven't bought a deer tag in a couple of years. I just find it to boring for my taste.

I'll second that:D The only reason I deer hunt is for deer meat. I'm not sure I'll even do it at all next season. :) ---1pheas4

I'll bow hunt, but I think the shotgun huntings a joke around here anyway. group hunts get them in the open and gun em down. I'm more of the one on one type.

Back