A first...

Hobie1026

I got out last weekend to explore Nebraska some more. Chose a new area. I got the maps, loaded the dog and the gun in the Pathfinder and headed out.

Saturday was grim. The first WIA I stopped at was nothing but a pasture and draw that had been grazed down to nothing. No food, no water, very little in the way of cover. I headed further east, stopping at several more WIAs.

Not a single bird to be found. It was drier than anywhere else I'd seen. Each step Loki took his paws raised little dust clouds. I talked to a couple other hunters that night that were staying at the same motel. They hadn't had much luck either.

Sunday I got up and left for the fields, trying to navigate back roads in the dark. The first field I had planned on hunting had little in the way of cover so I moved on. Found another WIA that looked promising. There was a strip of tall grass near a corn field.

I got out and turned Loki loose. 15 minutes into the hunt Loki started acting a little birdy. Then his tail went into propeller mode. I mentally braced myself for the flush, imagining the single rooster cackling as he rose, the impossibly long tail flowing out behind him.

One more step and suddenly I was surrounded by whirring feathers and small birds flying in all directions. My brain was so prepared for a pheasant it didn't even occur to me that I should shoot. Too late I remembered bobwhite quail were occasionally found in this part. I swung and shot and as always I shot at the covey, not a feather was disturbed.

I was able to mark them down and we managed to hunt up 2 singles. I missed the first one but was a little more collected when Loki flushed the second one and was able to connect. My first ever bobwhite quail.

NEBobwhite2012ingrass.jpg

After some more walking and no flushes I left, heading to look for other spots. I was heading to a public area to the south. As I was driving I saw a tiny public parcel. Hardly more than a weed patch. I wanted to get to the big WIA but figured I could hunt this in 20 minutes and be on my way and since I was right here...

We got out and in just a few feet Loki got birdy. Seconds later a hen flushed out of the grass, followed a second later by a rooster. 1 shot and a perfect retrieve. We kept walking, and about 200 yards further Loki flushed another rooster. I missed clean with the first barrel but saw the bird flinch when I fired the second barrel. I hustled over to where I saw the bird go down and told Loki to hunt dead. No bird.

I wasn't leaving til I either flushed that bird again or worked the whole patch. So I positioned Loki into the wind and we pushed the entire field back and forth. An hour later, at the very back of the field, I saw the rooster stick his head up. Loki saw it at the same time. The rooster had a broken wing but took off running. Loki ran him down and was able to bring him to hand. I was so happy to have gotten that bird in the bag and not lost it I decided to call it a day and head for home on a high note.

NEBobwhite2012003_zpsf6ee58b0.jpg

As someone else on here said, with the scarcity of birds this season every one feels like a trophy. I drove home with 3 and felt like the luckiest man alive.

Last edited:
Thats a great story! Those are the kind of trips I love to take, headed nowhere inparticular just take off driving in a general direction. Gosh that sounds like fun about right now.

By the way, what is the little side by side your shooting?

Nice story, and great determination and sportsman's work on the cripple.

Loki done good. :)

er...?Cody? ?Loki?...."loaded the dog and the gun"? You change dog names during the hunt?

I missed something.

:D

Too many dogs...

Nice story, and great determination and sportsman's work on the cripple.

Loki done good. :)

er...?Cody? ?Loki?...."loaded the dog and the gun"? You change dog names during the hunt?

I missed something.

:D

LOL...no, you didn't miss anything. I didn't even notice I did that. Habit I guess. Cody is the old veteran who is retired and stayed home. Loki was the nose that did the hard work.

Loki:

NEBobwhite2012006_zpsf1ddd4ee.jpg

Loki on my left, Cody on my right:

Dogs-camping2012_zps694db764.jpg

The shotgun is a 12 gauge sxs made for Webley and Scott by Fausti. It fits me like a glove, is a joy to carry but for the price point the workmanship leaves something to be desired.

Back