870 Wingmaster

870-Lefty

How many on here use a 12ga. 870 Wingmaster for there wild pheasant hunting, and what barrel length and choke? I am thinking of taking mine this year to S.D. as a back up gun but might use it a couple of times anyhow.

I used 870s in 12, 20, 28, and .410 beginning in the early 60's. Shot registered skeet and hunted everything I could with them. I no longer have one but wouldn't hesitate to use one on pheasant. My favorite was the 20 but have killed pheasant with all gauges. The 12 is a little heavy so for many years I carried an 870 LW20ga Upland Special and it never failed me, even on late season birds. I do hunt over a dog exclusively. But any adult male shouldn't be really bothered by the weight. If you have a tubed bbl I would recommend light modified early season and modified later in the year. If not tubed I would go with modified. I prefer a 26" bbl.

I used have 2 20 gauges and 2 12 gauges both wingmaster and express. All have killed pheasant, ducks, geese, quail, grouse, woodcock and deer. They area great gun and well suited for the pheasant fields. I would not hesitate in recommending this fine gun. I shot an 870 trap and skeet model for Purdue when I was in school as well. These guns are extremely reliable.

I have various barrel lengths but for pheasants I like a 26" or 28" with choke tubes.

Thanks guys. I have 2 barrels, a 28" standard contour choke tubed barrel and a 26" light contour choke tubed barrel. I will be using the 26" light contour barrel to save weight.

:thumbsup: good choice lefty. I've been using an 870 express for everything from deer to dove since 1986. 26" barrel with IC choke over pointers on pen raised birds. Going to modified for SD trip. :)

I use a 12 gauge ,special purpose a lot.I use imp. Cyl. 26 inch barrel , with a sling.I actually wore out a part in the gun I shot it so much. It's heavy, but always works. The sling is nice for carrying , and long walks, water foul hunting, ect.

The timing of this thread is ironic. I shot 870's for 20 years. Last year I went to a semi auto to see what I was missing. Well, the semi auto is not reliable and has sent me back to the 20 gauge 870 I have had since I was 12 years old. I will never buy anything but an 870 again.

I've used my 870 WM in 20ga since I got it in 1986. It was built in '75. Has two barrels, mod and Imp Cyl. Just bought a 12ga SA, a 930 Syn. It works rather well, but, still take that 870 an awful lot.

I love mine for pheasant. 28" barrel. Imp Cyl is the only choke I use.

Good call- I could not hit anything with the modified, went to imp. Cyl. And got good with it. All shotguns are different, and you have to mess around with different chokes, and loads. I find that Remington loads, work best, in Remington guns. I know thart may be bs, but it's my opinion.

Good call- I could not hit anything with the modified, went to imp. Cyl. And got good with it. All shotguns are different, and you have to mess around with different chokes, and loads. I find that Remington loads, work best, in Remington guns. I know thart may be bs, but it's my opinion.

And #4 shot is what works in that gun. It goes against everything I've read but that's the load/choke combo that is the most consistent for me.

The iconic 870WM:thumbsup:

Used a 20ga as my only gun from the time I was 11 until I was 33. Killed, everything I ever hunted with it from a dozen+ deer (with slugs thru the bird shot barrell), 20+ geese (only one per season where I am) hundreds of ducks, pheasants, quail and even a few grouse and too many rabbits to count.

Never had a failure, miss fire, jam or anything else. I could rattle off more shots on target than anyone with a semi-auto could in the same amount of time.

I got so good with it I bought another gun because I was smart and had some money. Love the O/U but when I pick that Wingmaster up it still feels special.

Built in 1967, used an truly abused but keeps right on shooting.

And I have tried a buddy's 12ga and hated it. 20ga for me all the way.

Back