4000 ravens to be poisoned

In the great unwashed past. There were several towns that had shoots to solve the crow problems. Had reasonable lodging, feasts, and gave away shells! It was a blast. Seems better than poisoning something, poison isn't selective. When I was a kid they used cyanide traps for coyotes, you would be amazed at the array of dead animals around, jays, crows, jackrabbits, prairie dogs, black footed ferrets, badgers, raccoons, buzzards, even hawks and eagles! A lot were happenstance looking in a burrow, others who ingested a poisoned animals. They get bird dogs too!

:10sign: Unfortunately, the guvmit is into spending money, not making money and common-sense/logic is a rare commodity.

In the great unwashed past. There were several towns that had shoots to solve the crow problems. Had reasonable lodging, feasts, and gave away shells! It was a blast. Seems better than poisoning something, poison isn't selective. When I was a kid they used cyanide traps for coyotes, you would be amazed at the array of dead animals around, jays, crows, jackrabbits, prairie dogs, black footed ferrets, badgers, raccoons, buzzards, even hawks and eagles! A lot were happenstance looking in a burrow, others who ingested a poisoned animals. They get bird dogs too!

"Moser said the poison in the eggs only kills birds of the corvid family, which includes crows, ravens and magpies.

If a dog came and picked up an egg, it would not affect the dog. If a dog picked up a raven that died from the poison, that would not affect it either,? she said."
You need to manage all wildlife!!! http://www.idahopress.com/news/loca...cle_b8b66d2a-bc89-11e3-9483-0019bb2963f4.html

Last edited:
So, open a raven season. The only reason they're protected in the west is because of the old migratory bird treaty & the fact that they are rare in the east. Shotgun patterns are pretty damn discriminating & ravens are the undisputed kings when it comes to depredating nests, eggs & young.

So, open a raven season. The only reason they're protected in the west is because of the old migratory bird treaty & the fact that they are rare in the east. Shotgun patterns are pretty damn discriminating & ravens are the undisputed kings when it comes to depredating nests, eggs & young.

The Mexicans in the International migratory bird seasons, seems to have thing for ravens and crows, I don't think that the U.S. and Canada gave two hoots about there protection, they were uncontrolled before the treaty, now we have a season, a long won. as usual, the solution by the government is to poison something, allow spraying the sage, or grazing it down even on our own ground, expanse the oil drilling, roads to service them, marching the sage grouse into tighter margins of habitat. Now the Ravens and the sage grouse who have a relationship going back 1000 years, now the Raven has and advantage, because what we already did! The issue in room for sage grouse and what we will give up, ( possibly nothing), to achieve that.

The other comment is 4000 ravens? How do we know? Is a beady-eyed biologist going to wander the desert and record all fatalities? What will that cost? Isn't this the same biologist who claimed that native prairie grouse can't use their feathers to shield their nostrils from freezing? That pretty much disqualifies her! As far as this is selective poison, I am not sure I believe it! First of all, any poison that kills internally, I assume will kill all red blooded birds, maybe it's the presentation which might make for selection, but I doubt it, if an aerial predator sees it, and will respond to it? Why for lest cost don't we hire high school boys to go the local town dump, ( believe me there is one), and with a dose of #6's or a .22 relief the issue. Put a bounty on them. Earnest Hemingway shot magpies as live trap targets of the deck in Sun Valley, Idaho. We'd have to have a government comprehensive study to rehabilitate the Ravens, magpies, and crows. This is just knee jerk, ( or half assed) effort, gain a little press, distract us from the real issue. Here's my study, why don't the government make a research center, and train the sage grouse to eat corn and beans, nest in cheat grass, re-educated the grouse to believe people, and traffic are friends, ( we have a leg up on that, look at the national park bears), problem solved! Lets save that nest and that particular bird over there, while we destroy it's habitat across the road. This pretty well describes U.S. conservational issues and solutions we cobble together. History tells us the last heath hen died naturally in a zoo! passenger pigeons in, yes you guessed it....a zoo in Cleveland. Which zoo will have the honor for the sage hen, or the lesser prairie chicken, the Columbian sharp-tail.

Last edited:
Good luck on getting the biologists to give up control. For decades biologists have preached its a sin to kill a predator . It will be hard to get the new generations of hunter's to shoot them and again the biologist will not turn them loose.

You can be very sure that, If the Gov type biologists are using the "P" word:eek:
The problem is dire.
Ravens are very plentiful, with few or no natural enemies.
Lets be glad they are trying, (Gov Folks) that is.

Killing off a bunch of Ravens could help save a diminishing population of Sage Grouse.

The Mexicans in the International migratory bird seasons, seems to have thing for ravens and crows

Shortly after this treaty went into effect "back in the day," a friend & I were waiting for the geese to start flying. We had a couple hours to kill, so I fished & my partner popped the occasional crow. Montana hadn't established a season yet, but we were confronted by a warden who wrote my friend a ticket. Took 2 trips to court to resolve. The first time, the judge rescheduled the case so he could research what the rookie warden had cited. The second time, he looked at my friend & told him to " . . . shoot some more of those nest-robbing bastards." Then he suggested that the warden focus on real problems, such as poachers & tossed the ticket.

Crows have all but disappeared here. I saw about a dozen in the spring migration but that was over a month ago. It will probably be fall before I see another one. I wonder what has changed so much?

Crows have all but disappeared here. I saw about a dozen in the spring migration but that was over a month ago. It will probably be fall before I see another one. I wonder what has changed so much?

West Nile Virus! For one. They and bluejays were pretty much gone for 3 years, but are recovering here, but seem to live in town? The drought makes an increase in the mosquito's who have west nile, they like stagnant water.

Yeah, the Feds are a real blessing. When Clinton turned the Wahluke Slope over to Fed control, after their "promise" that "nothing would change" gates went up, hours were established, seasons changed, areas closed, and certain hunting ended. They also mandated parking "in established lots only," and then established some of those lots away from areas folks were prone to fish. You can't run dogs or shoot during the off-season; hell, kids can't even shoot BB guns or air guns there now. "We're from the guvmint & we're here to help." They posted the most productive pheasant area "no trespassing," ostensibly because it's a curlew nesting area; curlews don't nest and breed in the fall. They also closed coyote hunting and closed areas of Columbia River shoreline, all points, and islands to hunting. It's all about "control." A Fed warden cited me for not having a WA state duck stamp, even though I told her it was not required. The day I appeared in court to have the ticket revoked is a day of my life that I'll never get back (she also cited me for using lead shot in a non-tox area because her magnet wouldn't stick to the shotshell hull, even tho it was clearly marked "Non-Toxic Shot;" I showed her the box & told her I had verified with the regs that the shot was legal. That ticket was revoked also, also. I finally quite hunting there; wasn't worth contending with the bullshit.

Last edited:
From what I understand, they are not sure the Ravens are the problem, but think this is worth a try. Give it a go for three or four years, then reassess. Idaho, and Wyoming are doing their darnedest to try and address their own Sage Grouse situations so the Feds don't intervene. Credit to them for that, because we all hate the Feds out here. And for idahos part, I commend them. Wyoming has it's own interests at heart for their programs, mainly keeping millions of acres of land open for oil and gas development. Idaho, not so much.
Its been proven for years that magpies or a problem for Pheasants but as there a "none native" they have done nothing but except there pay checks.

Back