30'' tail feather

1pheas4

I meant to post these photos a few months back. Anyway it's hard to tell where the end of his tail lands, but this bird came in with a tail at 30 inches.

Wow! What an awesome bird, bet he made a great mount! Where was he taken?

You know at this point I'm not sure:confused:. I'd have to search through my files to find out. The photos were taken some time ago. I stumbled upon them while deleting "junk" photos on my business's Sd card today.

Nick

Last edited:
That's a real beauty. Did that bird have nice spurs as well?

If I remember he had some decent Spurs. This was a clients bird so I don't have him at my home or shop so unfortunately I can't look at him any further than the photos.:)

Nick

That one is impressive but the mounted bird on the shelf looks to have a longer tail, or maybe it just that angle of pic. Either way both are incredible.

That one is impressive but the mounted bird on the shelf looks to have a longer tail, or maybe it just that angle of pic. Either way both are incredible.

l0l...you had me scratching my head for a second there. Yeah, that bird is has 43 inch tail!! He's a Reeves pheasant not a ringneck pheasant. I think I have one of those on my website. I'll take a look in a minute and post a pic. They're impressive birds and live wild in China. Though mine are obviously pen raised here in the states.

https://nebula.wsimg.com/852392ba76...AD401B63F07AD846C&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Nick

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how should one care for a bird they want mounted?

I've had fish mounted, but never a bird.

If you plan on taking him to your taxidermist right away, tuck his head in his wing then place him in the freezer.

If you think it will be some time before you drop him off, it's best to take a wet towel, then wrap your bird in the wet towel (obviously put the bird in a freezer). This will /prevent/slow freezer burn.

If your on the road, if you can, put the bird in pantyhose (head first). You don't have to do this, but it does hold the feathers in place. Then place your bird in a plastic bag. If you don't have access to pantyhose, no big deal. Just place the bird in a plastic bag.

Put the bird in a cooler with ice or dry ice. If you can, freeze it. Sometimes motels/hotels will let you use their freezer until you leave. If you don't have access to a freezer while on your trip, just keep him on ice or dry ice--remember, in a plastic bag.

Keep in mind too; if his feather get wet from being in the cooler, no big deal. Your taxidermist will wash your bird's skin/feathers anyway--so they're going to get wet either-way. --blood on feathers will be removed by your taxidermist too.---

Another thing, if your bird has a broken skull, or cracked beak, broken wing, or broken leg, they are repairable. So for example, if you shoot a nice bird with a busted wing, it's not a problem to repair.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Last edited:
Here's a few pic's of two very nice (tailed) pheasants that came in.

The first one is a wild bird from North Dakota. He doesn't have the longest tail but he had a very large tail fan!

For those who would ask, here he is mounted up.

The second bird is a pen bird but still impressive. His tailed measured out to 30.5 inches! The tips are broken off so it was 31 inches!!

Back