28ga in the sierra's

What a great gauge for quail :thumbsup:

I love the balance of the Browning over/under, nimble and fast on target.

You can carry more shells in vest (there about the size of tootsie rolls..lol)
than 12ga and a lot lighter.

Theres other good 28ga as well, just sharing my gun

First mountain in the morning

My view...lots of manzinita, buck brush and springs/ creeks = quail

Big Sugar Pine and 28er

noon time take

Last edited:
Great pics of some very birdy cover and your manzanita bushes even have berries on them.:thumbsup:I remember a day a few seasons back when our 28's had quite the day in quail hills.:cheers:

Robert our 28ers were dropping birds just pulling em out of the cases lol :D

smoking hot barrels and low on shells is a good upland day!

Your 28 sxs was even lighter than my browning, sweet gun man

Those would be the very elusive mountain quail George. I believe Ca is the only state where you can bag more than 2 birds per day.

Made my first mt quail trip

I didn't get any bird but had a great hike at 7000ft in beautiful country. I imagine there is a learning curve coming from hunting valley quail. It's something that I look forward to putting more time into. On a lighter note I did manage 4 native rainbows and earlier in the year my father in law bagged a grouse.

P.s Great pics

Raining today, was out deer hunting and like always not seeing any...but did get into some mountain quail.....and mountain lion tracks

Im thinking these are a young mountain lion tracks

A friend has a 28 ga. that he let me shoot at club quail while he trained his dogs. I say, "shoot at" because I never cut a feather with it. Even club quail are tough in the 30 mph winds we had that day. I had a .410 SXS when I was in my 20s with the same experience. I killed one quail and a truck full of Coots at a DFG depredation Coot shoot they used to have at Gray Lodge. Swapped it for a 12' aluminum boat. That's a beautiful gun and excellent shooting.
Sizing your gauge to the size of the bird makes the whole experience more enjoyable. The best example was in an episode of "The Lower Forty" out of "Field and Stream" magazine back in the 1950s or so. The Lower Forty club got together and had a competitive shoot with smooth bore .22s shooting grasshoppers with bird shot. That story has always struck me as a fun day. They still make the smooth bore .22s too.

Last edited:
Got 3 (only 2 in pic) today but was wanting to get a fall turkey as well.

ran into at lest 4 coveys but cover is so thick it was hard getting shoots off, you could hear em flush but no see em... and talk about steep canyons...but pursuit payed off

28er harvested a few more mountain quail today

Lots of birds, I mean a lot! one big covey flushing but they stayed low so couldnt get a lot of shots off, birds were calling back and fourth most of day so that helped....

Last edited:
I didn't get any bird but had a great hike at 7000ft in beautiful country. I imagine there is a learning curve coming from hunting valley quail. It's something that I look forward to putting more time into. On a lighter note I did manage 4 native rainbows and earlier in the year my father in law bagged a grouse.

P.s Great pics

Kworth, your best bet is to look for mountain quail at the 3500-5000ft areas or just below the snow line :thumbsup:

Back