28 Gauge for Pheasants

wolfcreeknc

OK, I got the bug and traded for a used Weatherby sa-08 in 28 gauge. Super light gun, will be great chasing grouse here in the mountains of NC and popping dove in the next few weeks. So is anyone else using a 28 gauge on pheasant? Any recommendations on loads etc?
Best to all,
Wolf

The B&P Extra Rosa shells have good reputations in 28. I haven't used them myself but others have commented positively on them.

I use a 28 ga CZ Ringneck, early season over pointers. Works great!

Been looking for the 28 ga Weatherby with no luck!

I happened into the Weatherby at a local gun shop. Had no intentions of buying a gun but saw it there on the rack. I had a Benelli 20 guage that I haven't used in years went back with it and traded for the Weatherby and a case of shells. Now I have to see how it shoots. Looking forward to it.

Kinda happened to me a couple weeks ago. Stopped into a local shop just to kill
time. They had Franchi SL in 20ga used for a good price, looked new, had box papers everything. Told me they had a customer, that buys a gun, keeps it a couple weeks, brings it back, buys something else.
Been looking for it and the Weatherby for a while.

Where non-tox is required, can steel be used effectively in a 28 to take pheasants?

Iffy, steel loads are 5/8oz in 28ga. I used some Rio Bismuth in my 28ga last season and did well on wild CA and SD roosters, all birds were retrieved "head down" by my dogs.

I love my 28ga for pheasant hunting, of all my guns I shoot it the best so it's the one I use most often regardless of what species I'm after.

Last edited:
If its so borderline, why would you unless its the only scattergun you have?

It's not borderline, a 3/4oz load of lead or similar shot will take birds clean within reasonable distance. Steel loads are iffy imo but I've never used them for pheasant hunting so I can't confirm my suspicion.

I can't imagine large steel shot patterning worth a crap after being shoved down that little tube.

Good point! Smaller gauge, smaller shot is a general rule. I shoot 7.5s and 6s mostly, the bismuth was 5 shot, about as big as I would like to shoot out of my 28.

Fiochi Golden Pheasant in 5 shot seems to be my favorite in the 28 tube! Runs about 14-16 bucks depending on where I find it.:thumbsup:

Im looking for a 28 gauge side by side. Anyone have recommendations?

I shoot a 28ga Ringneck that I absolutely love and I'm on the fence on buying a Dickinson 20/28ga two barrel set. What is your budget?

Last edited:
I paid around $750 otd for mine 4 years ago from my local tractor store but they sold guns at cost to locals. I'm not sure what they go for now but I'd pay in $1,000 range for one no problem.

Back