niceshot

The 2009 Iowa pheasant harvest was 271,126 the lowest ever recorded and 100,000 below 2008. This number is reported by the DNR based on post season hunter surveys. Unfortunately the harsh winter of 2009-2010 means the harvest this fall will be even lower.

I think the harvest will be higher this year as long as there is a decent hatch. The low harvest was because of the extremely late harvest followed by a ton of snow. The birds were there, just not accessible.

Good point pheasantaddict, you are right about the very late corn harvest limiting last years pheasant harvest. I do think we lost more hens than average this winter, but with a "normal" fall hopefully we'll be up this year. That's the exiting part about seeing what's really out there, and why its hunting and not shooting.

I agree with Addict. I do not think that number was due to lower bird numbers but a crappy hunting season.

Maybe is we hunted on this side of the boarder more Niceshot we could help raise that number. I shot more birds in MN last year than IA.

????????

I have seen some pretty large cluches of birds this year if they can aviod the predators we may have some birds in our area this season:D

The birds are there, some of us just might have to wait until the "fairweather" hunters are staying at home in front of the fireplace. I dont care how cold it is, I went out when it was -30 last year and shot birds. Its all about determination...and love of the game.

The birds are there, some of us just might have to wait until the "fairweather" hunters are staying at home in front of the fireplace. I dont care how cold it is, I went out when it was -30 last year and shot birds. Its all about determination...and love of the game.

how old are you? i use to go out in -30 below also. now if i have warm coffee and a few dougnuts in truck i aint getting out unless its a coyote in rifle range.:D

So your getting weak in your old age. :D

not weak just smarter. some of the stupid things i did when i was younger are starting to come back to haunt me. starting to get aches and pains and the cold just makes it worse. trucks have greatly improved over the years. love heated seats and adjustable cup holders:D

I am a cold weather guy too. This is when I have had some of the best hunting. Iowa at xmas, can't wait. Thats when I get back home so its always cold, plus it seems you guys have still left me plenty of birds. It is the heat that gets me. I can Ice fish in my under shorts.

sent a shiver up my spine just thinking about it. brings back bad memories of being on call for gas company. coldest night i ever worked was -37. wind chill that night was -85 to -90. had to replace 4 frozen meters that night and i'm proud to say i didn't do it in my shorts.

I am a cold weather guy too. This is when I have had some of the best hunting. Iowa at xmas, can't wait. Thats when I get back home so its always cold, plus it seems you guys have still left me plenty of birds. It is the heat that gets me. I can Ice fish in my under shorts.

I'm with you there. I would much rather be playing outside in 10 degree weather than 100 degrees.

Back