2020 Pheasant Fest

jackrabbit

Who all is attending the 2020 Pheaseant Fest in Minneapolis next week?
https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Pheasant-Fest.aspx

I have not attended it before, but certainly hope to this year. It is just over an hour from home and right now the family has a clear schedule that weekend.
Is it more of a vendor show selling products, tourism promoting their areas, lodges,etc., education and seminars? I am curious if there are any good deals by vendors on products, similar to how the St. Paul Ice Fishing Show is? Specifically looking maybe for an upgraded dog kennel (Ruff Land or Gunner, and see they are both exhibitors) or vest/pants/apparel.

Last edited:
Jack rabbit...I don't think you will be disappointed in the show. You've generally outlined the show content in your question - it's all of the above and more. Would assume there's a web site that describes the show and lists the exhibitors.

You can even purchase a dog at the show!

Enjoy.

Who all is attending the 2020 Pheaseant Fest in Minneapolis next week?
https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Pheasant-Fest.aspx

I have not attended it before, but certainly hope to this year. It is just over an hour from home and right now the family has a clear schedule that weekend.
Is it more of a vendor show selling products, tourism promoting their areas, lodges,etc., education and seminars? I am curious if there are any good deals by vendors on products, similar to how the St. Paul Ice Fishing Show is? Specifically looking maybe for an upgraded dog kennel (Ruff Land or Gunner, and see they are both exhibitors) or vest/pants/apparel.

Jackrabbit...by all means, go. It's fun to do....once. But make sure you get "free" admission. I think usually they do a "bring your 2019-2020 license & get in free" sort of a deal. It's NOT worth the normal price of admission. And don't get your hopes up for good deals. In general, it's a marketing expo, & I'd say not aimed at the average pheasant hunter. Take in the dog clinics & such. See all the people. And cross it off your bucket list. I don't want to be a huge downer, but I've been twice. It's not what I wanted it to be.

Jackrabbit...by all means, go. It's fun to do....once. But make sure you get "free" admission. I think usually they do a "bring your 2019-2020 license & get in free" sort of a deal. It's NOT worth the normal price of admission. And don't get your hopes up for good deals. In general, it's a marketing expo, & I'd say not aimed at the average pheasant hunter. Take in the dog clinics & such. See all the people. And cross it off your bucket list. I don't want to be a huge downer, but I've been twice. It's not what I wanted it to be.

Thanks for the replies. I do have a few free admission tickets already, which is a big reason why I may attend. Otherwise I figured it really isn't worth the admission of a few tickets for the family, plus parking, plus driving into the city. With it being close and free tickets, I think I'll try to attend just to see what it's like once.

Jack rabbit...I don't think you will be disappointed in the show. You've generally outlined the show content in your question - it's all of the above and more. Would assume there's a web site that describes the show and lists the exhibitors.

You can even purchase a dog at the show!

Enjoy.

Yeah there is a website I linked with the original question. Was a little bit curious on vendor deals. At the St. Paul Ice Fishing Show you can get some crazy good deals on a few things, work the vendors against each other, and generally bundle a few things to get even better discounts. Was curious if this was the same or not. For instance I'm not really interested in spending $700 for a Gunner Kennel or $300 for a Ruff Land Kennel, but would consider it if it is on a very good sale at the show.

Well worth the full price of admission. If you are into bird hunting and habitat, you will have a great time. Heck, I even got leads on places to shoot prairie dogs when it was in Sioux Falls a couple years ago...and almost bought a dog. I will be at it anytime it comes to Sioux Falls or Omaha and maybe Des Moines. Great place to get leads for dog breeders for whatever breed your are interested in or putting your hands on a expensive/hard to find shotgun before purchasing. A place with several thousand like minded people to mingle with. The coolest thing we got at the Sioux Falls show, was a 2'x3' satellite view of a quarter section farm that we had recently put into CRP....that booth was also one of the busiest of the show. Go and have fun, I am not sure if you can take it all in over just a single day.

It is largely because the show is held during the month of February that makes it worth attending. I have attended three and may just end up wandering around a 4th show.

If you are a freelance hunter, the amount of G&O operations there will disenfranchise you a bit.

Some of the MN DNR guys are friendly enough and I stopped by and thanked them for the Walk in program and told them to go all in.

Some of the dog breeders and especially the dog trainers are worth a look and listen. I train my own dogs, but I try to be open to new ideas.

If you like high end hunting gear, I have not seen much discounts - but you can take a closer look at the products. Inspect them with your hands.

PF has been running a 2:1 ticket sale on their website. Not sure when it ends.

Been to a couple of them. Luckily my brother lives in Minneapolis so I can visit with him and stay at his place to keep the cost down. Last time I went it got a little expensive due to the CZ booth. Handled a 20 gauge Sharptail and had to have one. Oh well that happens sometimes. Besides it’s February in midwest. Dave

Joel I will be in the GMHTA booth Friday. If I’m not there I will be in the Kinetic booth. Please stop and say hi. I might bring the 2020 MN Pheasant Open Winner with me.

Stopped by the CZ booth and Beretta booth and was more than a little disappointed. Hopefully the guys working each booth were just working for comp tickets and not being paid. I realize that many outdoorsman tend to fall on the introvert side of the personality scale, but really ???

My eighteen year old son is looking to buy an entry level auto for hunting, trap league and clays. BPS pump has been good, but an easier second shot and less recoil on a longer day would be nice.

We stopped at the CZ both - twice. First guy really had no idea on the differences between the different grades or what after market options (chokes, etc) may be available. We circled over to the Beretta booth and the two guys could not even get out of their chairs. Tried to ask a question and got a quick yep.

Circled back to the CA both to look at the 912 ... I looked at one CZ rep and started to ask him to come over and talk with my son ... he ignored and turn 180 to talk with to other CZ reps.

Both the A300 and CZ912 seemed like nice guns. He had fun holding them and pointing to the sky. Would have been great if someone would have told him gas vs. inertia, choke tubes available, etc... Also note that neither place was that busy ...

Good time talking with the dog guys especially a few of the other point breed guys. Fun, although I do not believe I am yet persuaded to move away from another Brittany.

Took a break, sat down and listened to a few guys talk about MO, KS, NE public land hunting. Need to actually get out there one fall.

Last edited:
I attended Friday afternoon and am glad I went. First time there. I probably wouldn't drive several hours to attend, but will make an effort to attend each time it is in MN. With a record attendance, I'm guessing it will be back every 3-5 years.

Probably more vendor deals than I was expecting. Most vendors were 10-50%, so I picked up a few things that I have always wanted but would never pay full price for (more of wants than needs). Of course, any deal you get could also be wiped out by gas, parking, and admission tickets. But luckily I carpooled to split gas and parking and had a free tickets. I only had a couple hours I could spend there, so only walked the vendor floor. But would have enjoyed engaging a bit more with different vendors, speakers, events, etc.

There were 2:1 specials on PF website, Groupon had a special and KFAN (radio) had FREE tickets via a promo offer coupon code.

Did anybody stop by the Blue Nest Beef Booth and try some grass fed burger? Those guys are really trying to do something about habitat in a way that does not involve the government. Private business teaming with The Audubon Society. Already have 2 million acres signed up and hoping for 2 million more. Great burger, it was the best smelling booth there.

Did anybody stop by the Blue Nest Beef Booth and try some grass fed burger? Those guys are really trying to do something about habitat in a way that does not involve the government. Private business teaming with The Audubon Society. Already have 2 million acres signed up and hoping for 2 million more. Great burger, it was the best smelling booth there.

bluenestbeef.com
link to their website, check it out!

Back