2017 south dakota pheasant hunting roadside survey

Gents, there is more re: this topic under the thread at the top of the page titled "pheasant hunting forum"....good stuff! but then, I am a bit biased.

There's certainly no contest. The media is biased. If there is advertising tied to it...it is biased. it's time for a little bias from the other side.

So true...hard not to be biased regardless of the business one is in....when $ is on the line, people will act accordingly...perhaps even unwittingly...not saying that there is anything wrong with that....

There's certainly no contest. The media is biased. If there is advertising tied to it...it is biased. it's time for a little bias from the other side.

You do basically write your own blog. Which is a form of media. So I guess I can agee that the media is biased. I would have to agree when money is on the line people will be biased. Out of most of us on here the person with the most on the line would be they guy that would lose the most if numbers were down.
I.E. the guy that runs a hunting operation.

You do basically write your own blog. Which is a form of media. So I guess I can agee that the media is biased. I would have to agree when money is on the line people will be biased. Out of most of us on here the person with the most on the line would be they guy that would lose the most if numbers were down.
I.E. the guy that runs a hunting operation.

Yep lets start the bashing--starting to sound like the swamp in DC. :confused:

Some points 1. It is easy to sit back and comment and another to try and do the habitat thing.
2. Pay to hunt is not my thing, never was and never will be.
3. It is OK to be in the pay to hunt business!

So I go about the habitat work at my own expense (yes I take the money that CRP pays but it NEVER matches that which cash rent is). I also let people hunt, mostly they are good honest people that I enjoy watching have a good time. A few do what they can to help and that is nice and some complain that if I would only do this or that their hunting would be better.

Things I use to do included multi access points ( mowed parking) to give easy entry into fields and rights to drive across harvested fields ( to place blockers). These things are no more--want to hunt--WALK!!

I planted several food plots this year but getting only .31 inches of rain in June and .49 in July caused them to fail--hope those that helped finance them understand that I have no sway with Mother Nature. Same goes with the Pheasant numbers.

Sorry if you feel that my comments are trying to bash someone. I assure you they are not. I commend you, as well as UGuide and others on here, for doing what you are able to do with improving habitat and helping grow wildlife populations in the only state I've ever called home. I do however feel I have the option to express my opinion when it varies from others. As well as them having the option to express their opposing opinion. I feel a varying of opinions is a great thing that we are allowed to express in this country. As long as it doesn't go into name calling and other disrespectful things I feel it is an ok thing.

Sorry if you feel that my comments are trying to bash someone. I assure you they are not. I commend you, as well as UGuide and others on here, for doing what you are able to do with improving habitat and helping grow wildlife populations in the only state I've ever called home. I do however feel I have the option to express my opinion when it varies from others. As well as them having the option to express their opposing opinion. I feel a varying of opinions is a great thing that we are allowed to express in this country. As long as it doesn't go into name calling and other disrespectful things I feel it is an ok thing.

Yes it is a great thing that we can " agree to disagree ". I stand corrected on that point.

Jim- i would guess that a lot of guys are very thankful for what you do........not being required to pay would motivate me to contribute a little something for the next time out........it's called a good conscious!

I certainly didn't take any comments of any bashing going on. Just differences of opinions formed by individuals with varying scenarios.

Even though I make my home in PA, I check in on the site to keep informed of what is happening with the pheasant habitat and population in SD. My wife and I have been hunting public lands and walk-in areas out there for 12+ years now and are looking forward to doing the same this year. Some years have been more productive than others, but were never disappointed with the hunt. Reminds me of what PA wild pheasant hunting USED TO BE back in the 50s and 60s.

I would never consider paying to hunt stocked birds on hunting preserves but am not above paying privet landowners for the privilege to hunt wild pheasants on their property. "Pay to hunt preserves" are way to expensive and we don't like hunting with large groups. We just enjoy peaceful days afield with our Golden, going at our own pace, as we aren't "Spring Chickens" anymore.

Back