0fer2

I know it will be a little bit yet before the roadside counts are in. So I am wondering what folks are seeing, or have heard from others, from throughout S and W MN. Obviously I am not trying to hit your hotspots, just finding out what folks are seeing or hearing in your areas.

I know this has not been a typical August, lots of humid weather and rain.

Dan

Road side survey will be out sept.6 so bout a WK of waiting to go... Reading reports online from facebook guys etc 1 did a roadside count in rock county said wear there is habitat there's birds not much habitat in rock county...

I think we will see plenty of birds this season... Turkeys had a hell of a hatch it looks like...

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see, now that SD count is out - I am guessing, being that Watertown area barely moved that the Minnesota count will be very close to last year, maybe 5% one way or the other.

Drew MN prairie chicken tag this year 2 groups 6 guys in my family drew tags MN chicken hunt was my dogs 1st hunt now she 4.5 & pretty hard on the birds I can not wait they are in trouble this year... Heading up early to blast some sharptails hopefully maybe ruffies also if lucky...

I like the trends reported in there... only red flag is the 390,000+ acres of CRP contracts up in 2018. adding 54,000+ acres of good habitat is a step in the right direction.

Thing to remember is, we are at 0.52 bird/mile yet, and SD is at 3.05 so take it with a grain of salt yet. However, the state as a whole is getting a better population. :thumbsup:

Good to see might, actually be worth hunting MN this year.

No way go to SD no pheasants left in MN ...

If u r not hunting MN pheasants your really missing out plenty of birds to be had just gotta work a little some days...

Any good news for MN pheasants I'll take... grain of salt or not... I hunted SD like 15 days last year still had my best hunts in MN as far as fast limits & memorys maid go...

Todd and Kanabec Counties are always my favorites. Glad to see they have high numbers. :thumbsup:

Drew MN prairie chicken tag this year 2 groups 6 guys in my family drew tags MN chicken hunt was my dogs 1st hunt now she 4.5 & pretty hard on the birds I can not wait they are in trouble this year... Heading up early to blast some sharptails hopefully maybe ruffies also if lucky...

Knowing we could not go, took the chance and applied anyways with the hope of picking up priority/preference points. Denied !!! :thumbsup:

Shot these two big males ... 9 or 10 years ago now. :eek::eek::eek:

Oldest son and I have shot more, but never as nice.

Last edited:
Knowing we could not go, took the chance and applied anyways with the hope of picking up priority/preference points. Denied !!! :thumbsup:

Shot these two big males ... 9 or 10 years ago now. :eek::eek::eek:

Oldest son and I have shot more, but never as nice.

Very cool pics... Now that MN has moved the prairie chicken season into sept we won't get many of them nice looking males colder it get better the feathers etc.

My 1st 3-4 in that mid-late Oct season were nice males like them Mounters... Last 4+ have been young birds... I liked hunting when we could chicken hunt & pheasant hunt same time...

Going to try to get sharptail ruffed grouse & prairie chickens on this hunt... Maybe a woodcock but not worried bout them goofy birds... Last hun I seen shot was on a MN prairie chicken hunt I'm gunning hard for them if seen again...

So you drew a tag also brittman??? Or ??? If u did not draw u get the points... We all had 1 point my bro had 2 we all drew ...

Can always hunt north of 2 for sharptails...

Denied a license and earned preference points. Rules state you go by the lowest point member in your group.

Yes, sharptails are relatively abundant north of HWY 2.

Huns - look at the very sad Hun count in the NW district of the state (Pheasant roadside report on DNR website).

No partridge were observed in the Northwest, West Central, or East Central regions.

SW part of the state saw birds and an increase.

Denied a license and earned preference points. Rules state you go by the lowest point member in your group.

Yes, sharptails are relatively abundant north of HWY 2.

Huns - look at the very sad Hun count in the NW district of the state (Pheasant roadside report on DNR website).

SW part of the state saw birds and an increase.

Yes sir my brother took the point reduction to join our group my brother father & my self 1 group uncle & cousin group the other...

Chickens also north of 2 seen plenty... Hate the bush swamp terrain them sharptails north of 2 call home much rather hunt prairie grouse vs scrub land swamp sharptails give me SD or NE grassland birds even MT sage brush birds are alot easier to track down for me at least...

I figure the last place I seen a pair of Hun's shot would be good place to start if u read any of my SD road count posts I don't put to much trust in these counts... I agree Hun's are disappearing...

Last edited:
I always liked hunting sharpies and huns, its been a while since I did. Both good eating birds and huns especially.

Now that the MN pheasant counts are out, well I look forward to hunting MN. Is it magic like 2008-2009? Who knows, I've hunted when its been one rooster flush a day to when 3 of us were done before noon and everything in between.

So to quote Forrest Gump (sorta) Pheasant hunting in MN is a lot like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get! Makes it kinda fun, eh?

I always liked hunting sharpies and huns, its been a while since I did. Both good eating birds and huns especially.

Now that the MN pheasant counts are out, well I look forward to hunting MN. Is it magic like 2008-2009? Who knows, I've hunted when its been one rooster flush a day to when 3 of us were done before noon and everything in between.

So to quote Forrest Gump (sorta) Pheasant hunting in MN is a lot like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get! Makes it kinda fun, eh?

Yes sir you are correct u never know till you go hunt...

Great to see the report from a couple of weeks ago! Last year was a good year overall in Minnesota. This year should be even better.

Great to see a healthy trend in the right direction. Lets hope the October rain holds off this year. I think everyone can remember last year, especially SW MN some areas very wet and flooded, made for some tough hunting, and never really did freeze solid enough to walk on until maybe late December...if at all.

Great to see a healthy trend in the right direction. Lets hope the October rain holds off this year. I think everyone can remember last year, especially SW MN some areas very wet and flooded, made for some tough hunting, and never really did freeze solid enough to walk on until maybe late December...if at all.

From my buddy who has farm on MN IA border SW MN he has lots of water more then last year by far vegetation is crazy tall thick compared to most years

We hunted SW MN last year I only got feet wet once I did not feel it was v
Very wet but I mite have been lucky area wise I think if u got wet last year this year will be worse??? All I hunt really is cattails & sloughs etc...

Back