2016-17 Pheasant Season

Great but every time we shot and were reloading a cockbird would go up.:D Drake had a great day putting up quit a few birds just seemed like they were flocked up but when you hit them you hit them.

Looks like it was a good day for your group.

I had a quick day. It started out with some unproductive points (I think the birds were running a lot) and finally one that I was able to bag. Shortly after that the dogs worked a bird that went in some standing corn that is not part of the hunting grounds. I called the dogs off and moved on. A rooster ended up flushing out of the corn soon after that. We kept working and the dogs had a point. There was a group close by and I told them my dogs were on point and that I was going to go and flush the bird. The bird flushed and I shot once which made the bird wobble. The other guys decided to shoot at the bird ( I didn't like them shooting over my dogs point) and missed it. I shot a second time and dropped the bird. Champ made the retrieve and I told the other group I was heading out. Just then the dogs went on point and I told them I would flush the bird for them. It was a hen which are not legal here and my day was done. I really don't like opening day much because of all the people who shoot at anything that flies. I saw more people today than I did last year despite the weather not being as nice.

IMG_2767_zpscjb8oyvb.jpg

Just finished eating my limit of pheasant and they were delicious. We headed up to pheasant camp today. It was windy, cold and very wet. I had no idea what to expect from Chipper but he did amazing..he made Dugan and us proud. The light came on today for him and he is just a pup..good job Chipper!

All I can say is WOW! What a morning, it started out by seeing a magnificent buck and just kept getting better despite heavy winds, rain and dropping temperatures. In those conditions I wasn't expecting much from our 5 month old pup...boy was I wrong, he knocked it out of the park. He made his grandad Dugan very proud. Now I've been around gun dogs long enough to know that could change next time out, but today was his! We had our limit before 8:30 !

Looks like you boys did well also! :cheers:

We started at 730 to let the early birds get out of the parking lot. We hunted till 1200 or so and we had our limet of 8 dogs were happy to be out. Had a couple good pionts but most of the birds were running. Had a great day with friends and family thats what its all about

We started at 730 to let the early birds get out of the parking lot. We hunted till 1200 or so and we had our limet of 8 dogs were happy to be out. Had a couple good pionts but most of the birds were running. Had a great day with friends and family thats what its all about

That's what it's all about for sure! When are you heading back out?

Missed two woodcock and two roosters today. I did manage to get two other roosters. The dogs did great and Blitz made the retrieve of the day by chasing down a hardly hit rooster and bringing him out of some standing corn.

I'll try to get the pictures up later since photobucket seems to be having issues.

Great job guys Drake and I went out for a quick solo hunt last night I'd have to say no signs of his lymes ( he did test negative the last time) this year he's running and recovering great.

Nice work guys! :cheers:

Last season being what it was with the loss of Dugan we weren't able to hit some of our special spots. This year we're hitting them hard and I'm happy to report there are still some birds in those areas. Chipper has gotten schooled by these birds and that's what we expected but he's learning fast and he doesn't quit! Heading back out tomorrow in the same area. Boy you gotta love this time of year!

Moved 6 birds today :)
All hens in rooster only area :(
Also saw a hawk chase a hen that we flushed. I won't be out on Saturday; too many other things going on.

Good luck on Saturday!

Back