2015-16 Hunting Reports & Pictures

Great idea Tbear.:thumbsup: We're over due for some fresh pheasant/hunting pics!

Should be pretty warm, anybody worried about their dog and the heat? I plan on keeping him very hydrated!

weekend report

Hunted both Saturday and Sunday. Took break in mid-afternoon on Saturday. Shot 2 guy limit on opener. Hunted sole this morning, got lucky shot double in one of those unexpected spots. Hunted mix of public and private. Surprised at low # of bird contacts. Total of 30 birds contacted in two days. But still a great opener overall!!

At least you saw some birds, had dinner tonite with a buddy who hunted the pipestone area, all private family land, and him and his brother saw 4 birds , shot two. He believes there in the corn. Usually, it's been a very good area for them out there. I'll wait a few weeks until the corn is mostly out. Thanks for the report.

Busy weekend of other stuff going on for me. I was able to get out Saturday morning from 9-10am on Public Land in South Central MN and the dog flushed 2 hens. I'll call that a successful morning for such a quick a hunt.

got out on Saturday, didnt flush a single bird in the few areas we walked. Hunted a few public land spots in the afternoon, was assuming they probly got hunted at least once in the AM though, so not surprising. Corn was still about 90% up.

No Hunting for me this weekend but was in the worthington, Windom and Slayton areas. The corn is coming out quickly and with the recent dry weather it won't be long and it will be out.

Hunted Saturday with my Brother SW MN. Saw a number of birds off the roads while picking our first WMA we wanted to claim. Shot these three between 9-10:30am. I know we had been talking heat all week but who dialed up the wind? Wind was so brutal it didn't give us a chance through the late afternoon, and a couple misses before sundown didn't help :mad: go figure, that last limit bird is always the hardest :) Much more corn down than other openers I've experienced but excited for the rest to come out. Cover was still thick and green, could use a freeze to thin that out. Snapped this pic back home since it got dark fast!

Hunted Saturday with my Brother SW MN. Saw a number of birds off the roads while picking our first WMA we wanted to claim. Shot these three between 9-10:30am. I know we had been talking heat all week but who dialed up the wind? Wind was so brutal it didn't give us a chance through the late afternoon, and a couple misses before sundown didn't help :mad: go figure, that last limit bird is always the hardest :) Much more corn down than other openers I've experienced but excited for the rest to come out. Cover was still thick and green, could use a freeze to thin that out. Snapped this pic back home since it got dark fast!

I was hauling a piece of equipment through that area Saturday and the wind was exhausting. It doesnt help your shot either. A hard freeze would be welcome. I was on at my property Sunday and the asian bettles were unbelievable.

Approaching 40%. With this wind and no rain in the forecast for the next week Its going to come off very fast this year.

I posted this in the thread MN Opener but probably should have been here. We hunted the opening day for about 3 hours. Quit when it got warm. 3 hunters and we got 3 birds. Didn't see very many. Cover is still very lush and thick. We need a good hard freeze to knock some of that down. Lots of corn in the fields although it is starting to come out. And the wind didn't help matters. Although the wind was nothing compared to today. Sure glad I'm not in the field today with 30-40 mph wind. This will really help dry the corn down.

Hunted SW MN both sat. and sun. on public land. Saturday got skunked, got up 3 roosters and 5 hens. Sunday we got 2, got up 6 roosters and 10 hens. Only hunted until noon both days because of the heat.

just got home hunted 1 field today in sw mn 1 rooster seen should be dead if my buddy was ready when flushed... to windy 30-40 mph winds.. . 0 dead today... stoped hunting at 11:00

i was limited out by 9:40 opener... should of had 6 ez by 9:40 got into a flock of 20+ 15 min into walk if that...c oulda shot at more but stopped because i my buddys were shooting so much i thought we have our limit i was wrong... i lost 1 bird... i hunted with a few guys sat evening & shot 2 more last hour of day... my buddy got 1 lost 1... 7 roosters 8 guys... we could have limited out if some shot better...

hunted about 4 hours total sunday my brother limited i should have also & my buddy got 1 should have 1 we hunted last hour & half of day & got into a bachler group of roosters some young barely colored some full color... 3 dead sunday half our group left by noon... coulda had 5 if i didnt choke on 2 back
to back 2 min apart...

seen lots of birds for mn standards... hunted all new to us wmas in new area of state... used to hunt in dakota zebs area been very poor last 2 year more hunters then pheasants no pheasant forever presence numbers down in our haunts... once corn off its gonna get great wear we hunted...

Last edited:
only got pic of 2 of my birds 1st limit... forgot to take pic of other birds b4 we dressed em. .

was a great opener... we did better then most guys we talked to maybe they were fib n on there sucess??? they didnt look happy... warden said u got more then anybody i talked with...

1 skunk encounter im happy to say it was not a full on spray & seen 2 dead skunks ran over with in 400-500 yards if the encounter 1 dead in almost exact area i walked in off road... 1 dead coon all over nitr they cut n corn nearby they all ran to that slough i guess???

Last edited:
Back