2011 hatch

RedNose

My drive is a long one, Alaska to the 48, but I'll be coming if there are good numbers. My Montana areas don't look all that inviting. I see Kansas, SD guys saying season will be good. How about Oregon or ND, any word on those areas. I posted in Oregon but figures a post in the main vein might be a good start and then go to that state and ask questions etc. Thanks, S

Hello Red nose!

Montana winter was severe , in many areas beyond historical high snow depths. Montana F, W, and P gave landowners bird feed to put out, in the N. E. part of the state, so there will be some carry over of birds. ( Deer and Antelope wont be so lucky!).
We have had days of ongoing rain , which most likely will break up the first nesting of birds, so the re-nest will make the young of the year later hatching. It has been for the last 3 winters, and spring season harsh conditions. Join Pheasants forever, and attend those fundraisers for habitat enhancement!

Most of North and South Dakota had a lot of snow and it was a tough winter on the pheasants. I know they took a pretty good hit in the Aberdeen area. but with a good hatch we could still see some decent numbers. The South Dakota GFP does a road survey in August and that will be a good indication of pheasant numbers across the state. Results are usually published towards the end of August.

2011 SD Hatch

In the SE corner of South Dakota we had another tough winter.

The spring was cool and wet, but without the 4-6 inch downpours we saw in the spring of 2010. The grass and cover are doing great.

I'm optimisitc that the hatch this spring could be a good one!

Red Nose
Zeb is right about it being a tough winter. I live west of Aberdeen about 35 miles. We wintered about 1000 pheasants last winter and they seem to be nesting well. I have seen from 11 to 14 eggs in nests, no little ones yet. If the hatch goes well there will be alot of birds around next fall. There might still be crops in the field, so I would come mid season or later.

thanks guys. ya I got a long drive from Alaska for a upland bird hunt but if the numbers are good I'll do it. Me and the dog are good company for each other. I went to Montana last year and it was not a pretty sight...then I discovered this web site for information and that is what I'll be doing.
Thanks again,
S
BTW I'll be in the 48 for a spell this summer as I need to be there to visit with my mother and take care of some repair on her home.

AS of tomorrow I'll be off line for about 2 months or not counting WiFi at McDonalds and Starbucks for coffee of the day.

Just got back from North Dakota, 10 days of fishing. A LOT of water! the river is rising everyday.
Here's what I saw and was told also by farmers. .. They see a lot of pheasants and so did I. I also heard a lot.. a few hens getting gravel off the road and a few dead ones on the road. The farmers have some more planting to go and that's the bad news. I talked to one and he ran over a few nests of pheasants and ducks because they are late for planting. Now will the pheasants and ducks re-nest I don't know but some farmers seen good sized nests also. So like everyone else we will have to wait for the hatch. and also I am betting on a late harvest of crops! (not good)

Lazlo

Platte SD

I've spent the last 4 days here in the Platte area and the fields are very wet and we had a HEAVY thunderstorm with lots of rain last night. I have seen a few birds and the roosters and hens are paired up so that is a good sign. I hear a lot of roosters but the grass is knee high so the are hard to see.

My food plots are going to be late getting planted this year as most of the areas I plant still have standing water on them. The weather is forcast to get much better with less rain and more sunshine starting today so I'm hopeful that the pheasants will pull off a good hatch this year.:)

Got word from NE Montana just yesterday, that they fear the downpours/flooding and cool weather is hard on ducks and pheasants.
If the pheasant nests are destroyed before the hatch the hen within a short time will renest. Still plenty of time for the young roosters to get some color by opener.
Ducks don't renest, their programed to produce only so many eggs per year.
That said, pheasant numbers are down from a down year last year. The only Winter survivors had to have human help in a food source.
The rancher I know fed about 200, mostly hens. And with a lot of grassland should help seed the comeback. :cheers:

It appears at this point the hens are on their nests and by some reports have nice numbers of eggs in the nests. So whats next? What would make it a "great" hatch vs a "poor" hatch. Weather, predators, cutting of hay? Let me here your thoughts on what we need to have a great hatch from here on out. I also hunt SW of Aberdeen.
Thanks,
Bob

Just got back from North Dakota, 10 days of fishing. A LOT of water! the river is rising everyday.
Here's what I saw and was told also by farmers. .. They see a lot of pheasants and so did I. I also heard a lot.. a few hens getting gravel off the road and a few dead ones on the road. The farmers have some more planting to go and that's the bad news. I talked to one and he ran over a few nests of pheasants and ducks because they are late for planting. Now will the pheasants and ducks re-nest I don't know but some farmers seen good sized nests also. So like everyone else we will have to wait for the hatch. and also I am betting on a late harvest of crops! (not good)

Lazlo

late harvest is not good.....may have to back things up a couple weeks.

It appears at this point the hens are on their nests and by some reports have nice numbers of eggs in the nests. So whats next? What would make it a "great" hatch vs a "poor" hatch. Weather, predators, cutting of hay? Let me here your thoughts on what we need to have a great hatch from here on out. I also hunt SW of Aberdeen.
Thanks,
Bob

Bob it is all about the weather. A heavy downpour or a hail storm at the wrong time could hurt things. There will always be predators and the hay is going to get cut if the weather will let it. If there is cover there should be chicks.

Not sure where that came from...

Got word from NE Montana just yesterday, that they fear the downpours/flooding and cool weather is hard on ducks and pheasants.
If the pheasant nests are destroyed before the hatch the hen within a short time will renest. Still plenty of time for the young roosters to get some color by opener.
Ducks don't renest, their programed to produce only so many eggs per year.
That said, pheasant numbers are down from a down year last year. The only Winter survivors had to have human help in a food source.
The rancher I know fed about 200, mostly hens. And with a lot of grassland should help seed the comeback. :cheers:

Not sure where you heard that ducks don't renest but that isn't true. Some of the radio telemetry birds in a Canadian study nested 5-6 times. With all the predators on the landscape it is a lucky duck that hatches the first clutch.

it sounds like it is really going to be spotty this season, going to be some areas that will be pretty bleak.

Not sure where you heard that ducks don't renest but that isn't true. Some of the radio telemetry birds in a Canadian study nested 5-6 times. With all the predators on the landscape it is a lucky duck that hatches the first clutch.

Ducks will renest only if their nest is destroyed during the egg laying period.
For example a hen Mallard will produce about a dozen eggs. It's common to have a 1 or a few eggs in a nest and the nest lost. The hen in this case will renest. She will lay only one egg a day until her egg laying period is done.

Yes with all the predation this is common, and common for a hen to lose her second and third nest too.

Once the last egg is deposited a hormone change occurs the hen duck goes into the incubation period. No more eggs will develop after this.

Duck vs. Pheasant difference

Ducks will renest only if their nest is destroyed during the egg laying period.
For example a hen Mallard will produce about a dozen eggs. It's common to have a 1 or a few eggs in a nest and the nest lost. The hen in this case will renest. She will lay only one egg a day until her egg laying period is done.

Yes with all the predation this is common, and common for a hen to lose her second and third nest too.

Once the last egg is deposited a hormone change occurs the hen duck goes into the incubation period. No more eggs will develop after this.

I don't want to get into a long drawn out debate on biology, but I guess I don't understand your first post. What did you mean when you said ducks don't renest and are programmed to only produce so many eggs per year?

I will say we are going to have incredible grass cover this year in Montana. Time will tell how many pheasants are hiding in the cover this fall. I have been in central Montana twice in the last month and will say I was pleasantly surprised by the number of birds I saw.

Back