2008 SD Pheasant Opener

webguy

UPH Owner/Founder
Staff member
Are any of you going to make it to SD this year for the pheasant opener? If so, where are you going to be?

I'll be in Hoven, SD this year for a friend/family hunt. I'm bringing a good friend from Rochester, MN this year.

:cheers:

It's a fun event... the real hunting is in December... opener always seems like a party to me. Take care guys, have a good pheasant opener in whatever state you are hunting in. This time of year gives me that tingle in my spine... or maybe it's just the lead in my back from several newbie out of state hunters shooting pellets in my back. Hell, either way, I don't care.

Ryan

Aberdeen and Timberlake

Ryan, I will be in Aberdeen and Timberlake trying to get some new video fottage for the website. If I do good then I might actually get to shoot a bird or 2.

Yep, just another day in the pheasant mines.....

Here's to the classic opener. Have one for me and I'll have 2 for you.

Sounds good. I'll be having a few here shortly. Were on the road right now on I94.

Ryan

Short bet...

Hoven...alright...that's good stuff. Have a great time and make new friends. It should be a good season, definitely one for the books.

Definitely one for the books. We had a pretty good army of us in Hoven, SD and we limited out the first day. We didn't work that hard and didn't start till about 12:30 and got the birds without much trouble.

The first push in the trees, I had to pick out one rooster of the 7 that were flying directly at me. I blocked a set of trees and had piles of birds flying at me. As I was picking up a bird I shot, there would be a set of roosters flying at me. As I would pick up the bird, pop the next bird, then go pick that one up, another set would be flying over my head. I had 5 birds in my vest on that first push between 2 of us because the other guy was shooting up on the hill. I was defintely out of breath since all the dogs were pushing the trees and the cover.

We decided to do some road hunting because I was pretty tired out because of the in town party the night before. So, the group mixed it up a bit and decided to go in a few groups and do some road hunting. You couldn't go 200 yards without seeing a bird. We did a little bit of the road hunting with great success.

I heard reports all over the state with some hunters limiting out in 5-15 minutes after Noon. Defintely lots of factors go into it... good shooting also of course.

Ryan

Aberdeen, SD Opener

UGUIDE South Dakota Pheasant Hunting just posted this at his Youtube.com/uguide page:

I like the birds scooting out of the corn coming at the camera.

:thumbsup:

Back