20 gauge steel shot

KansasGsp

I've been shooting a 12 gauge O/U for the last 15 years, made the decision to switch to a 20 this year. Love the gun and have been knocking them dead with Federal Premium Copper plated 5 shot. However, I have yet to find a steel shell worth a darn for the 20 gauge. So, you 20 gauge guys have any recommendations for pheasant loads in steel shot? Thanks in advance.

Kansas -- If you keep your shots inside 40 yards, a 20 gauge will kill pheasants just fine if you do your part and put the pattern on their front end!

Use the right load, pellet size and choke for your hunting/shooting situation and you shouldn't have any trouble. I usually shoot 3" 1-ounce loads with No. 3s or 2s steel but I have shot many with the 1-ounce load of No. 4 steel. Roster's research showed #2 steel worked best over #6 and #4 and suggested that the #3 steel pellet would be good, too.

Of course, you need to pattern your loads and chokes at the distance you plan on using them to make sure they can maintain good pheasant killing pattern densities. The chokes that seem to work best with the above mentioned steel loads in my gun were SK for 30 yard shots and IM for 40 yard shots.

Here are some pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes to give you an idea of what you might find (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" WINCHESTER DRYLOK STEEL LOAD
1 oz #3 steel (145 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 114 (78%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 106 (73%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL LOAD
1 oz #2 steel (118 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 101 (86%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 99 (84%)

Good luck.

Kent faststeel are the best out of my gun, 4s or 3s are my preference. I also shoot Kent Bismuth 5s and like them more than steel. No I don't work for Kent, it just so happens that these are my two favorite loads for my 20ga right now.

Kent faststeel are the best out of my gun, 4s or 3s are my preference. I also shoot Kent Bismuth 5s and like them more than steel. No I don't work for Kent, it just so happens that these are my two favorite loads for my 20ga right now.

You shooting the Kent Faststeels in 3 inch? I've read good things about them also, might give them a try. Thanks for the advice fellas.

You shooting the Kent Faststeels in 3 inch? I've read good things about them also, might give them a try. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Yes sir, 3". They're high quality shells.

Here are some of my pattern numbers to show you what I found when I patterned the 3" Fasteel load in #4 steel through my gun/chokes.

Pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" KENT FASTEEL LOAD
7/8 oz #4 steel (168 pellets) @ 1,550 fps
30 YARDS -- SK / pattern 109 (65%)
40 YARDS -- IM / pattern 107 (64%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL MAGNUM LOAD
1 oz #4 steel (191 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS -- SK / pattern 134 (70%)
40 YARDS -- IM / pattern 147 (77%)

Good luck.

Here are some of my pattern numbers to show you what I found when I patterned the 3" Fasteel load in #4 steel through my gun/chokes.

Pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" KENT FASTEEL LOAD
7/8 oz #4 steel (168 pellets) @ 1,550 fps
30 YARDS -- SK / pattern 109 (65%)
40 YARDS -- IM / pattern 107 (64%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL MAGNUM LOAD
1 oz #4 steel (191 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS -- SK / pattern 134 (70%)
40 YARDS -- IM / pattern 147 (77%)

Good luck.

Hey Joe,
Appreciate the info. Got a trip to Cabela's planned and will see if I can't pick up a box of Kent and Nitro-steel. I will try out both and see which one performs better out of my Beretta. Thanks again and good luck hunting.

I really like the prairie storm number 3's.

Not really a prairie storm fan but this one load kills way better than a 20 gauge with steel should. I even use it for geese when jump shooting them off ponds. Kents are my second choice and I've killed ducks,pheasants,and geese with them as well. I typically use a modified or improved modified.

I've shot lots of factory steel & tons of my own loads at pheasants and ducks over the years, and regardless of what all the pattern and chronograph data have told me, I can say this as almost a fact.....there's something magical about steel 3's. (or, as magical as steel can get)

I will second that , 3 ' are the sweet spot for 20 ga

Back