20 gauge Loads.

Tuck, I used to shoot a fair amount of trap, skeet and sporting clays with my sons, burning thru cases of shells led me to reloading. First started with a MEC junior and progressed to a Hornady 366 Auto. It was slick with an occasional operator error. Don't get distracted while reloading.
I bought a 20ga conversion kit and loaded AA hulls for skeet and hunting. The yellow AA 20ga wads worked perfectly for 1oz loads, but became impossible to find. I believe I used Win 540 powder pushing 1oz of nickel or copper plated 6's. This load was in the left (SxS) or top barrel (O/U).
Never felt I needed a third shot while upland hunting or a 12ga. Shoot what you have confidence in. I know if I miss, it is not the load or gun.
Enjoy the journey, not just the destination. I don't reload too much now, but still have a case of the above deadly load.

Tuck, I used to shoot a fair amount of trap, skeet and sporting clays with my sons, burning thru cases of shells led me to reloading. First started with a MEC junior and progressed to a Hornady 366 Auto. It was slick with an occasional operator error. Don't get distracted while reloading.
I bought a 20ga conversion kit and loaded AA hulls for skeet and hunting. The yellow AA 20ga wads worked perfectly for 1oz loads, but became impossible to find. I believe I used Win 540 powder pushing 1oz of nickel or copper plated 6's. This load was in the left (SxS) or top barrel (O/U).
Never felt I needed a third shot while upland hunting or a 12ga. Shoot what you have confidence in. I know if I miss, it is not the load or gun.
Enjoy the journey, not just the destination. I don't reload too much now, but still have a case of the above deadly load.
Lol. Great reply. Yes, I can remember using my mec junior and hate to think how many times I dumped a load of shot or powder before I was ready. working with my neighbor to get some reloading equipment for the 20 ga. I gave him a Ponsness warren 375 duOmatic and were trying to decide whether to get the 20 ga die swap or continue our search for a progressive mec.
even if I don’t shoot hunting rounds it’s worth it to load trap as we shoot a couple times a month and the occasional sporting clays. I actually went from pumps over the years, to o/u’s (thought I needed to be fancy), then when I had a shoulder injury I tried semiautos. The price point of the Winchester SX4, the light all day carry, and the recoil really helped me decide to go that way. Now with a 12 ga, and 20 ga sx4, along with an older 20 in 1100 semiauto I’m finding a comfortable shooting gun.
thanks for your perspective!

Back