1st Annual "Where Should I Hunt" Thread

V-John

I thought that with the season coming up, I would start a thread where everyone could post up some really great spots to hunt. That way many of the out of state guys or the lazy in state guys could just easily come on here, to this thread and not have to start a new thread when they are looking for places to hunt. So, if you could maybe post GPS coordinates of the Public Land places that hold birds, and have great cover and are really easy to get to from the road, that would be great. Also, maybe we should also find some places that aren't always crowded either.
As far as private land, those spots would be awesome too. Post up those locations, and you might as well scan in and attach permission slips. That way we can print those off and give several copies to all the guys that are mass marching through areas pushing and driving birds. Because we all know it isn't kosher to hunt with less then 8-10 guys, regardless of location.

I kid, I kid. :D
Have a good season.

Maybe in a few years there will actually be some birds up there to feel protective about.

Ha ha!!! Perfect!

I-70 between Paxico and Alma. I saw a pheasant there one time. It was on a WIHA.

I've said it before V-John should be an administrator of admissions, he can judge the "poor" me sob stories, to spare the rest of us. Like the guys who have a "new" dog, with no background training, who need a real good spot, so he and his posse, can make the dog gunshy on the season opener. The guy who has an eldery father, or a son, who is as well trained as the "new" dog, bonus if you have all three! And of course. the guys who drive 1300 miles, one way, without any thought process, to figure out where they will hunt. These are my favorites. I used to have a dialogue, now if it's not a contributing member of the forum. Zero.

Heading back from KCI to Manhattan today, I will post a scouting report on that location....

That would be great Steve. It's been a couple of years since I last seen that pheasant. Would hate to send anyone on a wild goose chase.

Next time your through Topeka let me know. Would love to meet up with you for lunch and talk dogs and hunting.

I've said it before V-John should be an administrator of admissions, he can judge the "poor" me sob stories, to spare the rest of us. Like the guys who have a "new" dog, with no background training, who need a real good spot, so he and his posse, can make the dog gunshy on the season opener. The guy who has an eldery father, or a son, who is as well trained as the "new" dog, bonus if you have all three! And of course. the guys who drive 1300 miles, one way, without any thought process, to figure out where they will hunt. These are my favorites. I used to have a dialogue, now if it's not a contributing member of the forum. Zero.

What constitutes contributing:rolleyes:. You guy's are cracking me up today. It's about the time of the year that the one-hit-wonder guy's start posting their sad stories of despair here looking for help. I too vote for V-john to be the administrator. Once they get past him, the rest of us can take a look. I do envy his patience with this sort of stuff;). I am still checking my pm's looking for the hook up's.

Great idea V-John! I don't recall another pre-season with so many posts from new UPH members or seldom-heard-from members who want intel and more "on a silver platter" as the saying goes.

Last edited:
I personally am looking forward to heading back out this year, I already got the report...Not good. But that is what I was expecting, for me it isn't about the numbers of birds we see (that helps) but getting out there to visit with friends and watch the dogs cover endless miles hoping to stumble across a lost rooster.

I have a new lab pup in tow this year. (Abbey) early signs are that she will be an adventure, that is if I can keep her from trying to tackle my pointer the whole time. She doesn't seem to bother my older lab too much. But Ruby really doesn't take much slack off of anyone.

Last edited:
You guys . I need all the help you can provideas I have a crippled trigger finger. And new boots I will wear for the first time opening day. And my 11 year old boy and 78 year old dad.
And I want a bird cleaner.

Last edited:
Great idea KB! I don't recall another pre-season with so many posts from new UPH members or seldom-heard-from members who want intel and more "on a silver platter" as the saying goes.

BC,

This is V-john's work.

This could save a lot of sore feelings in the coming years. We need someone to remember this next August. It should then be made a "sticky" at the top of the forum page.

C'mon !!! You guy's know that this is the country of give me something for nothing!!!! WORK!!!!!!! That word is long gone along with the meaning!!! VJohn for Pres!!!!!

Let Me Pull Out My Old Fort Riley Map And I Will Eagerly Contribute The Grid To The Center Of The Impact Area. I Know There Are Birds In there:D

Guys, I think you are being a little hard on the newbies. You are scaring them all away. How will we get those replies that have no meaning other than to boost their status! And the guys who post "new" threads that have already been covered numerous time. We would have this stale, small, inclusive membership. I have to laugh though because it got me to read the thread and actually "wonder" where it would go. I was actually thinking to post that I plan to start in the CRP and then move to the cattails then possible a few weeds draws, but I didn't want to give away all my secrets, shhhhhh!

i see it is that time of yr again get n more & more guys asking for HELP on wear to kill a pheasant...

im sure i was the butt of a few jokes last yr with the above mentioned story line attached to some of my early posts like i do have a father with medical issues & a young dog & never hunted pheasants out of state ETC... lol

but it still cracks me up when these guys come on with 1 or a hand full of post at best & ask for specific towns spots guides or private lands wear they can PAY TO PLAY it sure dose take a big pair or being real dumb to think you will get any help going that route...

even worse is the guys that feel sorry for them guys & PM them there hunting spots to try & not pile onto to the guy with do your own homework comments thats what they deserve when asking about specific spots or wear they can PAY to PLAY & on whos spot...???

all pheasants r gone in KS all moved to NE & more went to SD id just hunt SD boys or a controlled hunting area i hear they have alot of pheasants on them or in the ditches around there??? worth a try for new KS hunters???

Back