16 ga. Ammo for Trials

Dakotazeb

I've been using my 16 ga. Citori White Lightning for the past 3 years while participating in NSTRA field trials. For the most part Quail are used in our trials but on occasion they will use Chukars. So far I've used Federal and Remington 1 oz. loads in #8 shot, a few Federal 1 1/8 oz. loads in 7.5 shot and some B&P 1 1/16 oz. loads in 7 and 8 shot.

I was recently on Fiocchi's web site and see they make both a 1 oz. target load at 1,165 fps and a VIP 1 oz. target load at 1,300 fps. The VIP load has 5% antimony magnum shot and the 1,165 fps load has 3% antimony chilled shot. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried either of these loads? I'm kind of intriqued by the VIP load although I don't really need the 1,300 fps but I do like the harder shot.

I have my new pattering targets so I'd like to add a box of these when I pattern some of the loads I might be using. The choke combo I've been using in my Citori at the trials has been Skeet/IC and I'm thinking of going to Cyl/Skeet.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Remington Game Loads...1 ounce of 7 1/2s

IC - IC

I've used the Remington Game Loads and they seem okay. But always looking for something better. I wonder how hard the lead is in the Rem loads? Normally the sacrifice in less expensive shells is cheaper, softer lead. But I guess if they pattern well who cares. I've got to get out and do some pattern work.

How hard?...not very hard.
But quail and preserve chukar are not very hard either.
I would simply choke up a tad.

While I used to buy brown pattern paper by the 8" roll....I'd not fret much over the particular shell choice in your case.
A lost or crippled gamebird is almost never the result of the shell chosen.

While I like C for many uses....for a trial gunner's choice, I see little reason to make that choice, especially when 1 ounce is used. The sweet spot for effectivenss is narrowed....not erased, narrowed....by C.
We all make choices...good luck.

How hard?...not very hard.
But quail and preserve chukar are not very hard either.
I would simply choke up a tad.

While I used to buy brown pattern paper by the 8" roll....I'd not fret much over the particular shell choice in your case.
A lost or crippled gamebird is almost never the result of the shell chosen.

While I like C for many uses....for a trial gunner's choice, I see little reason to make that choice, especially when 1 ounce is used. The sweet spot for effectivenss is narrowed....not erased, narrowed....by C.
We all make choices...good luck.

I hear ya! Put the bird in the pattern and it will make no difference what shell, shot size, gauge or choke is used. I've had good luck with using Skeet/IC in the NSTRA trials so I think I'll stick with that depending on what I see on paper. I still have 2 boxes of B&P #8 shot and 4 boxes of Federal #7.5 shot so I'm good for awhile.

#8 will go right through quail, especially the pen raised birds you are shooting. 7.5 just make fewer holes. If you're shooting them close, #9 will make hamburger and pink feather clouds out of them.

Under 20 yards, skeet or true cyl will kill them stone dead. IC with #8 will kill them stone dead to at least 30 yards. If you load your own, #8.5 will put more shot in them.

If you have to shoot them beyond 30 yards, you're doing something wrong. Down this way, @ 30 yards, they'll already be behind pine trees and 00 buck won't kill them.

If you have to shoot them beyond 30 yards, you're doing something wrong. Down this way, @ 30 yards, they'll already be behind pine trees and 00 buck won't kill them.

We're out here on the Great Plains running trails. Not much to get between you and the quail other than maybe the judge! :eek:

A few weeks ago a friend of mine at one of the trials shot a quail and pulverized it. There was absolutely nothing left. Just a poof and it was gone. Nothing for the dog to retrieve, not even a leg, so he took a "0" for the retrieve. Not sure what choke or shot we was uding. I'll have to ask.

That sounds a distance decision more than a tight choke.

Most of us have found our plastic wad in cleaning woodcock from time to time....happens.

I've been shooting the B&P's at all the trials this spring and they have performed very well. The other thing I noticed about the B&P's is that they are very clean. I've shot a bunch and when I look down the barrels of my Citori it looks like I just cleaned it. Not sure I've seen any other shell burn that clean.

16ga for NSTRA trials? You should really be using a 20ga or smaller IMO.

A lot of the boys at my club, the home of NSTRA, would look down their noses at you! I'm partial to a little 28ga because one pellet whooshing past those pen raised birds will kill them from fear.

I'd use the lightest loads I could find for a 16ga and practice with them so you get the timing down. I'd also use the widest chokes.

16ga for NSTRA trials? You should really be using a 20ga or smaller IMO.

A lot of the boys at my club, the home of NSTRA, would look down their noses at you! I'm partial to a little 28ga because one pellet whooshing past those pen raised birds will kill them from fear.

I'd use the lightest loads I could find for a 16ga and practice with them so you get the timing down. I'd also use the widest chokes.

Guess it depends on the region you're running in. I probably see as many 12's out here as I do 20's. I'm about the only one shooting a 16. But my 16 ga. Citori White Lightning is my favorite gun so that's what I use.

I agree that it doesn't take much to put down a pen raised quail. But we do have some chukar trials and it does take a little more for them.

Guess it depends on the region you're running in. I probably see as many 12's out here as I do 20's. I'm about the only one shooting a 16. But my 16 ga. Citori White Lightning is my favorite gun so that's what I use.

I agree that it doesn't take much to put down a pen raised quail. But we do have some chukar trials and it does take a little more for them.

We see all sorts of sizes. The old boys at the club snicker at the younger guys who show up with 12s or 16s. I think some of them would like everyone to use a BB gun.:p

I use a 28ga with very good results for any planted birds. Haven't used it for wild pheasants but going to early next season and see how she goes.

Back