11-16-2014 Hunt - Birds Everywhere!

nstric

Is there anything better than a bird hunt following the season's first snow?

We had an absolute blast during a two field, Sunday afternoon hunt. The first was a 20 acre big block piece of switchgrass that resulted in four bagged roosters. Gunner pointed 3 for me, all holding tight, and my buddy jumped the other for our 4th. Better than a dozen hens held tight for good dog work as well. 25 minute walk . . . four of our six roosters already had.

One more walk . . . this time a linear piece nearly two miles in length. A creek lined with horse weeds and switchgrass, surrounded by picked corn. We start on the south end, hunting the east side of the creek, with the wind essentially at our back. The dogs therefore ran big, and worked back towards us hitting point, after point, after point, after . . . well, you get the idea. This piece was absolutely flush with birds.

Less than five minutes into the walk Gunner locks up and four roosters and 2-3 hens burst from the horse weeds. I duck so my buddy can shoot overhead and he drops one of the first year birds. Five now in the bag.

We continue walking, not going a minute without one or both of the dogs going down on point. Gunner finally found the right color bird, our sixth, and my buddy secures his limit. Immediately following both dogs lock up again, a bit further down the draw, so we proceed, guns unloaded, to find a half dozen or so more hens.

We're now nearly at the turnaround, the dogs remain birdie so we follow. A nice thick piece of horse weeds, and Gunner is all but demanding I let him show me the way. Both dogs quickly get to the end, turn their noses into the wind, and hammer down on point. I cross to the other side of the patch as my buddy walks in on the dogs. Up flush one, two, three, four, five roosters . . . and three to four hens. I was within 5 yards of what should have been an easy triple, something I've never even had the opportunity to attempt. What fun!

We decide to walk back on the same side already taken, so as not to disturb the other birds using this piece, and along the way Gunner's beeper collar goes off again. I approach, he's picture perfect solid -- oh had I a camera! -- and I kick up another two roosters that flushed together. We'd walked by them once, but not the second time!

After a quick warmup in the truck we happened across an old abandoned barn and stopped to snap this photo.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9%3B6%3C%3Dot%3E2333%3D%3C54%3D%3A%3A7%3DXROQDF%3E282368534%3B247ot1lsi

Same here!

Hello Nate,

We also had similar experiences this weekend. I am finding it difficult to write about the adventures much as it is point, flush, shoot and repeat. I can tell by your face Nate that you were out in it today. Cold into the wind!:)

Did you see other hunters or hear shots? I was dumbfounded by the lack of hunters this weekend and we were in a pressured, high pheasant concentration area.

All but one this year's bird in our take. How about you? I am going to have to focused on recipes for this week and not so much hunting trips! A good dilemma to have!:)

Funny you should ask about other hunters. We didn't see a single one. Not another hunter seen, and we even drove by three pieces of very good public ground. One piece appeared hunted this AM, as we could see truck tire marks, but that was it. We probably put 100 miles in the truck, 50 each way, and no orange in any field. More for me and Gunner, I figure.

Like you, nearly all birds shot this year have been young. Maybe 3-4 of our 33 shot were second year birds. The 25+ inch tail feather bird I shot last week may have been a three year old. A good handful of those bagged had similar coloring as you recently pictured. Very late hatches. They taste good too!

Another great hunt and another great picture. I need to MAKE some time to get out. This morning, with that fresh snow, looked like a perfect morning to be out there. Plus, I could see the orange vests from my window this morning of a group of guys that were out chasing roosters, with some success I might add.

I am heading out of town for four days on Friday this week but I have committed myself to getting out for at least a couple of hours some day this week. Hope to post some pics!

Back