10 months of waiting

Byrdoglvr

Well after 10 months of waiting since our last SD trip it looks like this lovely storm will severely hamper it. My buddy's flight is scheduled to land at 10:40 tomorrow which seems to be near the brunt of the storm. Eureka SD also has warnings issued. Monday is supposed to be our travel day, hunting Tues-Sat. After months of planning I'm so bummed.

Well after 10 months of waiting since our last SD trip it looks like this lovely storm will severely hamper it. My buddy's flight is scheduled to land at 10:40 tomorrow which seems to be near the brunt of the storm. Eureka SD also has warnings issued. Monday is supposed to be our travel day, hunting Tues-Sat. After months of planning I'm so bummed.

Byrddoglvr. Not sure if you will see this since you are hunting but curious if you have the same thoughts and are seeing the same things.

I think the hyperbole on the storm in NE SD was a little overblown. I hunted somewhere within 50 miles of Aberdeen yesterday and the snow was very manageable. The biggest issue was ice balls & the dogs feet and we will fix that today with Dog Booties. I am much more worried about the cold temps they are predicting later in the week than I am the snow as my 32 LB Cocker struggles with the cold. Especially when it gets down under 15-degrees.

As far as the hunting goes. I'm hunting public and my first impression is that bird numbers are a little better over last year. Still not great and a guy probably needs to do a good job choosing the right piece of cover in the right parcel at the right time of day. We put that equation together yesterday and did manage our limit.

How did your first day go?

Well I made it back and had a day to recover. The trip started a little rocky. Sunday night they cancelled my buddies flight due to arrive Monday at 10:30am. So the trooper went and rented a car, leaving at 10pm Sunday from Memphis and arrived at 10 am Monday. He didn't sleep. Ride out to SD took about 2 1/2 hours longer then usual. We had our limit by 2 on Tuesday and finished a 5 day hunt with 41. It was cold but I was never cold. I'm a construction worker so I'm plenty used to Winter. Snow was no where near what I was expecting. Maybe 4 inches. I would guess we flushed (not seen) near a thousand birds. Some flushes were so big I just stood there and giggled. Best trip yet. Numbers in the Eureka area were incredible.

Back