10 Month Old French Brittany

rubberduck

I was wondering if you french owners out there could answer a few questions about the breed? I purchased this dog from a good breeder from hunting stock and at 10 months has shown no real signs of picking up hunting. I have a 6 year old wirehair so he has another dog to show him the ropes but he really has no drive to hunt thus far. When I bought him the breeder told me to be patient and one day a light will go on in his little head and he will become a hunting fool. So far this season he's been Ruffed Grouse hunting a bunch and pheasant hunting once. I know grouse aren't the best bird to get a dog excited about hunting and especially not this year. He's done the whole pigeon thing and wing on a pole.

What can I do to get this dog birdie and interested in hunting?

I'm going to South Dakota this weekend and hope he shows me something.

kind of getting worried I bought a dud not a stud.

Did you get to see the dame/sire hunt before you bought the pup? Do they have anything in their pedigree as far as field trials or hunt tests? It could very easily be a trate in that line of dogs. A call to the breeder wouldn't be out of the question to see if the sire/dame did the same thing when they were pups.

Thanks for reply

I saw both parents hunt on video before purchasing. no field trial or hunt test's by the parents but there is those in the line. I've looked at other breeder's pedigrees and many use this outfit as a way to get new blood into there breed. his Grandpa's from france.

I think his father was like that and that's why the breeder told me to be patient but how patient can I be.

we'll see how this weekend goes, I should be able to get him into some real numbers. Hoping this is the weekend.

its not just a french thing its a male thing period some are that way and you want to bang your head and do everything but shoot him but eventually he will get it and when he does hold on he will be excellent and their wont be many that can touch him

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I needed that. I'll let you guys know how things went this weekend. Maybe even post some pics.

Thanks

Actually in the Frenchies I have noticed the complete opposite, the males are hunting very well by 6 months and it takes the females some time to get going. I have seen a couple of dogs that showed absolutally no interest in birds until after a year. They were both from the same kennel one was a male and one was a female. I ended up taking one of them into my home because the owner did not want him anymore because it looked like he would never hunt. I think the problem was that he was kept outside with little interaction, when I brought him into the house he was a totally different dog. One of my buddies now has him and he pointed four Roosters opening weekend. Maybe he needs a scenery change or maybe he needs to be put on tons of birds. Maybe he is just going to be a slow maturer all dogs are different, either way I would talk to the breeder because I have worked with alot of French Britts and that by far is not the norm.

I thinks he get's plenty of interaction. He lives in the house. The thing I'm wondering is if it's because he was neutered at 4 months. I don't know. I guess I'll call the breeder at the end of the season and gripe if he doesn't turn it around. Thanks

Well dont lose hope the switch may flip with him just keep getting him into the field with no expectations just let him have fun. Good luck and let us know if anything changes.

I have several french britts, they are a little different in a lot of ways. Mine eat and desire a wide variety of fruits and vege's, they did not respond very well to organized training, No e-collars, and as soon as I quit trying to mold them and just took them hunting, they taught themselves. Two have completely finished themselves point, back, retrieve. I have a couple who did the stand around and watch routine for a few trips. Several who believed, ( or do believe), in the "any game in town" approach to hunting, deer, rabbits, butterflies in the summer, (They are really staunch on grasshoppers along the gravel drive). If I ever shot a grasshopper or a rabbit it would be Katy bar the door! I have found them to be above average in intelligence, much more likely to develop as at least a decent useful hunting companion then a lot of breeds, totally lacking in softness to gunfire, but capable of being moody and pouty over percieved slights, no matter how minor. They work good as house companions as well. Time fixes this problem, first shot bird, even if busted by the dog, I would shoot. My prediction is the dog will jump on that dead bird, the light will come on, and there will be no turning back. Mine learned real quick that the pointed ones get shot, the ones who are flushed, decrease the likelyhood. Be patient all in good time. Lots of good advice already given, I'm just re-enforcing whats been said already.

Only things i would add......as many bird contacts as you can get him on, and hunt him alone.....The other dog will be more of a distraction then a help!!! Let him go out and hunt on his own and figure it out.

Give Him Time

Your dog is too young to be a hunting maniac. get on as many birds as you can this year and next year you will have a totaly diff dog.

you need to do a few sesions of planted birds in lighter cover to really get him to eqate going out in the feild with hunting, other wise he will think your just going for a walk and could care less about hunting for you.

this is they type of training that has really helped my FBS get through some of the same things you are talking about.. that and I took all her chew toys away now birds are her play time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EjmWH2sMh0

Thanks for all the response. I was out this weekend in potter county and we actually ran into a few birds. He finally showed me something. He pointed 2 birds for the weekend both roosters and I got them both. He also backed my wirehair once on a hen and it was great to see. He may have it in him after all. I guess I am a little impatient. Thank you guys for all the tips. He did better walking tree lines/ ditches by himself than walking a huge crp field with 4 other dogs. Kind of got lost out there in all the mess. Thanks again, I'll let you know his progress as the season progresses.

also thanks for the vid.. I really need to do that.

FB

Rubberduck,
Sure would like to see photo's of the young guy from your hunting trip.
Here are my two, two different dogs two different breeders. One on the right found and pointed first wild bird at 5 mouths old. The other one was a slow starter and is now a great dog, light had to come on for him.

Eliesfirstpointonawildbird001.jpg

Rubberduck,
Sure would like to see photo's of the young guy from your hunting trip.
Here are my two, two different dogs two different breeders. One on the right found and pointed first wild bird at 5 mouths old. The other one was a slow starter and is now a great dog, light had to come on for him.

Eliesfirstpointonawildbird001.jpg

Ditto on the photos of the pup Rubberduck!

abraun ~ Is the pup on the right from L'Etoile du Nord? By the way both are good lookin' dogs!

this one a rescue at 2 yrs. of age.

Chase did not even know what a bird was.

PB010002.jpg

he came a long way since then.
This was a very soft dog. Had to train him "softly". He had attention but no outdoor exposure to game or cover.

rare water retrieve on a grouse:
Chasegrswetwork.jpg

he is not much of a retriever but does love pointing S.D. Phez.
PB012528.jpg

I bet your pup will turn into a real machine. I was ready to give up on this one & almost rehomed him. He is now my best grouse dog.

YEP HE IS:thumbsup:

Right on, good looking pup! What's his breeding?

We got this little girl (Georgia) for my dad as a surprise gift. She's from L'Etoile du Nord kennel and a little beast in the field! Mark's a heck of a guy, great dogs as well, can't say enough good things about him.

GeorgiaOct242011.jpg

DadandGorgie.jpg

dadandgeorgiadeck-1.jpg

ChloeGA3.jpg

Last edited:
here is a rare pic of my FBS.... this was after her first hunt for grouse this year she was toast. this dog sitting still like this is a very rare ocasion.

Just get the dog on birds it will figure it out.

frankee.jpg

well I know you want to see pictures but unfortunately my camera with all my hunting photo's of 2011 went down the hole ice fishing in early December. Been trying to get some pics from some friends that were with but they haven't sent anything yet.

On Rocky's last walk of the season in a drainage ditch near Pierpont he point 2 hens then with about 20 yards left of the ditch he locked up, it was a rooster. It was a nice way to end the season. I can't wait for next year!

Note: transfer pics from camera to computer after each trip.

picture.php

Breton as in the other breeds are individual differences!
As for age and gender.
Today I lost my first Breton, celebrates its 15th anniversary.
He unfortunately fell under a train today, his last trip.
The dog arose game year old, then fired to over one thousand wild game birds!
So do not worry your dog wakes up and the game will surprise you in a positive sense!
Rest in peace, my good friend.:(

Back