Model 700 Remington's

Thus the 243! Good luck, sneak a pic in here if you get one down.

Edit: Got my 3 this morning, hope to see your pic!
Glad to hear it. Nice to get a limit. Trigger will not be here until at least Wednesday. Hope to hunt next weekend.

Last edited:
Both of my 700's now have Timney triggers. Remy I am hunting one particular deer, letting a lot walk by. He is a very smart one.

Last edited:
Hi Birdman2,

I've hunted with a nearly 50-year-old Model 700. It's my first big game rifle. It might be the most accurate rifle I own.

I've heard the same story about the Walker trigger a million times. I never had a single problem with mine. With my rifle's muzzle pointed in a safe direction, I open the bolt thus extracting the cartridge from the chamber and with the bolt open, I open the floor plate removing cartridges from the magazine. I count cartridges to ensure all are accounted for, visually check to ensure the rifle is unloaded, and with the muzzle pointed in a safe direct, close the bolt with my finger on the tripped to release firing pin spring tension.

Hi Birdman2,

I've hunted with a nearly 50-year-old Model 700. It's my first big game rifle. It might be the most accurate rifle I own.

I've heard the same story about the Walker trigger a million times. I never had a single problem with mine. With my rifle's muzzle pointed in a safe direction, I open the bolt thus extracting the cartridge from the chamber and with the bolt open, I open the floor plate removing cartridges from the magazine. I count cartridges to ensure all are accounted for, visually check to ensure the rifle is unloaded, and with the muzzle pointed in a safe direct, close the bolt with my finger on the tripped to release firing pin spring tension.
Good for you , glad you haven't had a problem. I did. So I change triggers on both of my 700's. If you had the problem I had, I would hope you would change it. Remember my gun fired when I took the safety off. I changed a trigger on a 700 that was built in 1963 also.

Last edited:
The US Border Patrol created a video documenting a 700 that would ghost fire, plenty of better rifles out there. Remember that commercial that showed an Italian flag and some American dude toting old glory with his Remington ha ha, give me that Italian gun every day of the week.

If you had the problem I had, I would hope you would change it.
I haven't encountered a problem either, but your story rattled me enough to make a change this upcoming off season. It doesn't need to actually happen to get my attention, even if its unlikely to occur. Prevention is a lot better solution here.

I haven't encountered a problem either, but your story rattled me enough to make a change this upcoming off season. It doesn't need to actually happen to get my attention, even if its unlikely to occur. Prevention is a lot better solution here.
Absolutely, a trigger replacement is cheap compared to what actually could happen....

The US Border Patrol created a video documenting a 700 that would ghost fire, plenty of better rifles out there. Remember that commercial that showed an Italian flag and some American dude toting old glory with his Remington ha ha, give me that Italian gun every day of the week.
I agree, I have a few Italian guns, typically there quality is excellent.

That is the purpose of my original post. If it saves a life and or prevents property damage...

I used to hunt with at least 3 other Model 700 users. Their rifles were older than mine. None of them had a problem with their rifles.

That is the purpose of my original post. If it saves a life and or prevents property damage...
I agree. If any gun has potential for danger, repair is in order.

I've taken only my Model 700 .270 Win on many Rocky Mountain big game hunts.

I'm aware of a hunter who negligently fired a round from a Model 700. He was about 6 feet behind my friend and me. While attempting to unload it, he closed the bolt on a live round with his finger on the trigger. Why he attempted to close the bolt on a live round while unloading the rifle remains a mystery. He was too shaken to ask. Ditto for why he had his finger on the trigger with a live round in the chamber. He never hunted again after that incident. It was not the rifle's fault. It was his negligence.

Hunters hear stories. Elk hunters are fabulous raconteurs. "Anything less than a .375 H&H Magnum will not kill elk." A .243 Win through the heart and/or lungs of the biggest bull that has ever lived will kill it just as dead as the biggest magnum.

Back