Wma info

COWAN

Just curious about how busy the WMA's get since they plant pheasants on them. I would rather seek private land to hunt but incase I can't find any is the reason I ask.

Just curious about how busy the WMA's get since they plant pheasants on them. I would rather seek private land to hunt but incase I can't find any is the reason I ask.
I hunt the Sterling WMAs occasionally and while they do get busy when the birds are released there is plenty of room to spread out and not bump into other hunters plus there are half dozen release areas with with varying types of habitat from grass, tree lines,cattails and sage brush
Tough to find private land that hold pheasants
What area of the state are you hunting?

I hunt the magic valley wmas once a week and usually shoot one bird. They are hunted hard and it seems to pick up even more after big game season. But thats not just the wmas. Everywhere I have hunted this year I have notice being over run with people since big game season ended. I guess that's why I only hunt birds, everyone and there uncle becomes bird hunters when it's the only thing to hunt.

I hunt the magic valley wmas once a week and usually shoot one bird. They are hunted hard and it seems to pick up even more after big game season. But thats not just the wmas. Everywhere I have hunted this year I have notice being over run with people since big game season ended. I guess that's why I only hunt birds, everyone and there uncle becomes bird hunters when it's the only thing to hunt.

Magic valley area is king of pay to play according to relatives in the area. Which pushes all the common people to Wma’s ,BLM ground and limited Access Yes areas. Not much private ground to hunt if you don’t pay or have a close relative who owns land.

Magic valley area is king of pay to play according to relatives in the area. Which pushes all the common people to Wma’s ,BLM ground and limited Access Yes areas. Not much private ground to hunt if you don’t pay or have a close relative who owns land.
We found tons of pheasants but they were on private. We never could contact the owners. WMA'S were a joke.

We found tons of pheasants but they were on private. We never could contact the owners. WMA'S were a joke.
The landowners go underground during hunting season when everyone is looking for them. They are easier to find in July.

Back