Birds in light grass

Bob Peters

Monday evening during the golden hour in Iowa, birds were coming out of the woodwork. I was on a monster piece of public land, pointed the dog into the wind and followed that happy wagging tail. The day before Skye had ran down a bird that took a long time, I didn't keep up, and sure enough it was a rooster. I promised I wouldn't fall behind again. After putting up a few hens, she got on a hot scent, and her pace and tempo increased. I ran as fast as a middle age dude can go, struggling to keep up. Finally that rooster popped up 30 yards in front of me. I got the gun up and somehow knocked him down with one shell. Those birds really move in light grass. I was glad to have held up my end of the bargain for once.MRIA.JPG

My running days are over but man what fun it was. My last couple labs were built for speed, weaving in and out with that tail going back and forth. I trailed him a a hundred yards or more many times. Sometimes I would be so out of breath at the end getting the gun mounted it was a chore. There was no better feeling than completing the deal for him. I am enjoying watching the new pointer work, but it is definitely different. Good job.

Atta girl, Skye!! Hunting pheasants in the light grass with a lab isn't for the feint of heart. But to be able to witness the entire chase is why I do it over and over again. Such a satisfying experience. Glad you got to be a part of a good one in Iowa, Bob.

Back