+++ Bird Dog Bunkhouse 2022 +++

dukxdog

*** Bird Dog Bunkhouse 2022 ***

Here is your opportunity to be afield hunting wild roosters with your hunting buddies and dogs. You are also invited to come solo and make new friends while staying here.

Last fall was a bit tougher hunting due to drought conditions leading to farmers being allowed to cut hay on much of the public hunting areas. That doesn't mean that there weren't plenty of pheasants or that we didn't take our share. This winter was relatively easy on the birds. My friends who came back to hunt in December and January 2022 found lots of birds and no hunters! The fall 2022 season will again be very good.

This is my eighth season making my house available to hunters coming to South Dakota. Many of the guys have returned each year to hunt wild roosters. Some hunt five days where as several stay to hunt 10 and 15 days!

For 2020, South Dakota changed opening week from a noon opening hunt time to 10am start for every day of the season. They also extended the season to end January 31 giving hunters another full month to hunt! This speaks volumes as to how they feel the pheasant population has been.

My offer is for lodging with hunting on your own with your personal dogs. This is NOT a guided hunt. Hunting is excellent so no need to pay for private land access. If you would like to supplement the available public hunting with a day or two on private land I can share contacts I have made to hunt good farms for $100-150/gun/day depending on availability.

I can furnish references on request. Guys come from all over the country to stay at my house. Several guys who frequent this site have stayed here to hunt and many still do.

My house is set up for groups up to eight people. Six or more people will have the house to themselves.

For this coming South Dakota pheasant hunting season I have the following dates available:

October 14-18 ---- available -- $450 per person

October 19-23 ---- available -- $450 per person

November 25-29 ---- available -- $450 per person

Nov 30-Dec 4 ---- available -- $450 per person

December 5-9 ---- available -- $450 per person

December 10- 14 ---- available -- $450 per person

December 15-19 ---- available -- $450 per person

PM me here for my phone number to answer questions, provide specific details and make reservations.

Don't miss out on another year of fun :) Here are photos from 2021

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Here are some answers to QUESTIONS:

I get $225 to book your dates. Balance $225 is due by September 15th

If you can't make it and tell me before August 1st I refund your full deposit right away.

If you tell me you tell me after August 1st then I will advertise to fill your spot or you can get someone to take your place. If that happens I refund ALL your deposit as soon as I receive the replacement deposit.

If you tell me after September 15 and I can't fill your cancellation there is no refund.

If you die I'll refund your money. I'll need to see the death certificate :) Haha, we both hope that doesn't occur 🤪

If I can fill your cancellation at any time I will refund all the money you have paid.

I'm a fair guy and like to be treated the same. I want guys to come have an enjoyable time.

If you come solo you can hunt alone. If you like the other guys there you can hunt together if you choose. There are no house rules pertaining to who you hunt with.

Yes $450 is the price. No added or hidden fees. It's five nights lodging. You take care of your own meals. Kitchen is well equipped for anything you choose to make. I have a gas BBQ grill. There are three refrigerators, a large upright freezer and a designated cleaned bird freezer.

I provide cable TV and WiFi internet for your computers and phones.

No dogs are allowed inside the house. Dogs are NOT allowed in the house! Guys have chosen to break that rule previously and their dogs ruined my furniture. NO DOGS IN THE HOUSE!!! If you can't abide by that rule then please don't come to my house.

I built a nice dog barn with 10 built-in kennels each having outside welded wire runs. The dogs are comfortable out there. I also have airline kennels in the garage if you prefer your dogs using them. Some guys choose to keep their dogs in their truck kennels. You have several options to make your dogs comfortable during your stay.

I'll help you with maps and places to hunt.

I have some contacts for hunting private land. That costs $100-250/gun/day. Up to you. Public hunting is good enough you shouldn't have to pay to hunt. Kinda depends on how good of a hunter and shot you are. I don't pay to hunt and I hunt 30 days straight. I kill lots of roosters.

Call me. Guys like staying at my house. I have lots of references if you want to ask someone other than me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
How fast do these fill up? I'm trying to get a group together and maybe give this a try.

Some of my dates filled quickly with my regular guys for this coming fall.

I don't usually put my available dates out until May. It just depends from year to year. No rush really. Check with your friends to see who can come out.

Thanks!

Not asking for an exact address or hotspotting by any means, but what part of the state are you in? Just trying to get an idea how many days of vacation this trip is gonna require. Thank you!

I can hands down verify Bobby is a stand up guy. Stayed with him our first couple of years out there. A wealth of info and a great house set up for hunters. First year I had a guy back out late on us. I expected to eat his part of the trip. First night Bobby handed me back that guys amount since he was able to fill the spot. Didn’t have to. Also lots of options close by to hunt for sure. Good luck to everyone this fall and can’t wait for our trip.

Thanks Matt. I'd forgotten about that. Fair is fair.

I've filled a few spots for this fall but still have plenty of good dates available for you guys. Send a PM to get started. Thanks!

**Summer Update**

There was a good number of pheasants which held over from 2021 season.

The hatch was excellent due to favorable weather and nesting conditions.

We had good precipitation which helped produce grasshoppers and insects that the little birds feed on.

Large numbers of young birds are being seen this summer by my friends who live there. First hatch chicks are doing well. There are also smaller chicks telling us that hens which lost their nest or broods re-nested for a second hatch.

This fall will be an excellent hunting season. I'm very excited and optimistic.

Here are the available dates with open spots to stay at my house.

October 14-18 --- 8 available ---$450 per person

October 19-23 --- 5 available --- $450 per person

October 29- Nov 2 --- 2 available --- $700 per person (includes 3 meals per day)

November 25-29 --- 4 available --- $450 per person

December 15-17 --- 6 available --- $250 per person

Send me a PM so I can give you my phone number to answer questions and book the dates you want to hunt.

Last edited:
So your sayin' for six guys staying 5 days at $450.00 a person equals $2,700.00. Way overpriced!!
Sorry, just my opinion..
Got to look @ what you are getting- private room in a house with full kitchen. Kennel for dog,inside bird cleaning and map of which public ground to hunt and his years of experience & advice on where to hunt which saves countless hours of driving/ hunting unproductive ground or a single room in a motel with none of the above @ $75 + nite plus cafe food. Or $300 day at a lodge
Do the math……..
Disclaimer - not my place but I have stayed there & will again in the future

Now take that $450.00 p/person x 5 persons = $2,700.00 for 5 days, right. Let's say you rent the house out for 25 days per month = $13,500.00. You have just paid the mortgage and most of the insurance for a year.
Not a bad gig..

Got to look @ what you are getting- private room in a house with full kitchen. Kennel for dog,inside bird cleaning and map of which public ground to hunt and his years of experience & advice on where to hunt which saves countless hours of driving/ hunting unproductive ground or a single room in a motel with none of the above @ $75 + nite plus cafe food. Or $300 day at a lodge
Do the math……..
Disclaimer - not my place but I have stayed there & will again in the future
I have also stayed at Bobby’s place a couple of times. As mentioned above there are a lot of “extras” included with a stay there. You have to decide if it’s worth it or not for you? Some it won’t be but others it surely will be. Only reason we have moved on is some changing of the area we typically hunt and also for some greater flexibility in number of days but neither are his fault, just our situation. Wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again. The other thing I’ve gotta share is first year we went I had a guy bail on the trip fairly late. Fully expected no refund of his deposit. First night in camp Bobby came over and handed that guys cash to me. Didn’t have to but he was able to fill the spot so he did. That went along ways with me in showing what kind of a guy he is.

At the end of the day lots of lodging options out there that offer different things. Pick what works for your group! Having choices is a great thing!

Now take that $450.00 p/person x 5 persons = $2,700.00 for 5 days, right. Let's say you rent the house out for 25 days per month = $13,500.00. You have just paid the mortgage and most of the insurance for a year.
Not a bad gig..
Correct - not a bad gig IF you have a house and put in the time. I don’t so thank goodness for Bobby for sharing his passion. Can’t fault a guy for being a success and if it’s such a great gig why aren’t you doing it

he also picks up maid cleaning service, utilities and kennel clean up. nice to have a full size fridge for your food and beer
and a place to cook your own food and make your lunch each morning. with a motel, it's a food crap shoot every day.
place to clean your birds after dark too.
it just depends on your needs. nice option.

Is "your room" nothing more than a bedroom w/no TV or bathroom, or is it just a place to sleep. Also, many motels allow you to keep your dog in the room and most motels that I've stayed at are
around $60.00 a night.
Also, is this a 5 or 6 bedroom house w/only one bed in a room, or do you have to double up sometimes?
Many  motels have a free breakfast and if you stay over 4 days many compt. the fifth night.
The motels always have clean rooms & linens everyday, along w/a microwave.
By-the-way I always field dress my birds, and wash them up in the room.
You guys make it sound like it's a deal, but in my opinion it's not. Sounds way over priced to rent a house for 5 days at $2700.00.
My 2 cents!!

Is "your room" nothing more than a bedroom w/no TV or bathroom, or is it just a place to sleep. Also, many motels allow you to keep your dog in the room and most motels that I've stayed at are
around $60.00 a night.
Also, is this a 5 or 6 bedroom house w/only one bed in a room, or do you have to double up sometimes?
Many  motels have a free breakfast and if you stay over 4 days many compt. the fifth night.
The motels always have clean rooms & linens everyday, along w/a microwave.
By-the-way I always field dress my birds, and wash them up in the room.
You guys make it sound like it's a deal, but in my opinion it's not. Sounds way over priced to rent a house for 5 days at $2700.00.
My 2 cents!!
Quality comes at a cost and quality is what you get at Bobby’s I understood working within a budget as I have many times in my life but there comes a time in your life when your time is worth more than $$. Maybe you would feel better if you realize your cost is $450 not $2700

Not a bad gig..
If you don’t like it don’t go. Why people bag on how others spend or make their money is beyond me. For 15 bucks over the price of a hotel you get knowledge and comfort. I don’t get paid for what I do I get paid for what I know

Back