Cutting costs this year?

So for you "Penny Pinchers", I made the long drive up to the Iowa Minnesota border this week and did a little experiment. Going up, I ran the higher octane gas and averaged 31.6 mpg in my wives Terrain. Coming home, I went with the cheaper gas and averaged 28.5 mpg. Most of the drive going up is up hill so I figure the higher octane gas gives even better fuel economy than the 3.1 mpg difference I got. Moral of the story, it doesn't pay to go cheap. I have no idea how much I spent on gas nor do I care really. I can't change it, and I can't drive without gas in the tank.

Going up, I ran the higher octane gas and averaged 31.6 mpg in my wives Terrain. Coming home, I went with the cheaper gas and averaged 28.5 mpg.
I'd say that's darn good for an SUV regardless. My wife's Ford Escape doesn't get that kind of mileage.

WWBH, but was was the cost of each, I am not sure you have established it is cost effective to use the higher octane. What was the cost per mile using each fuel is the question. If the high octane costs 20% more and the mpg increased 15%....

Agreed, well done on getting that mpg!

WWBH, but was was the cost of each, I am not sure you have established it is cost effective to use the higher octane. What was the cost per mile using each fuel is the question. If the high octane costs 20% more and the mpg increased 15%....

Agreed, well done on getting that mpg!
Be honest I never really paid attention. When I pull up to a gas pump its because I need gas. If it's $2 a gallon or $5 a gallon, without it, I ain't going anywhere.

I'd say that's darn good for an SUV regardless. My wife's Ford Escape doesn't get that kind of mileage.
It is a 4 cylinder. That Ford Escape should get better mileage than the Terrain. I keep my oil changed every 3,000 and change the air filter every other oil change. It has a 162,000 miles on it and has always got about 29 mpg on the highway. Still has the original plugs and wires. I did replace an oxygen sensor 4 or 5 years ago but that is it. I do buy the best tires and keep them rotated every oil change. The Terrains are in no way, an SUV.

The lakes here are absolutely packed with boats every weekend. 50% of those people are from out of state. Marine fuel is $5.00 - $6.00 / gallon. I really dont think you will see much decline in the numbers of people out hunting due to fuel prices. May see some heavier truck pooling and some dogs crammed into one box like a clown car. I can't remember what year it was the last time fuel got stupid expensive (09' maybe?) it didn't stop us..

It is a 4 cylinder. That Ford Escape should get better mileage than the Terrain. I keep my oil changed every 3,000 and change the air filter every other oil change. It has a 162,000 miles on it and has always got about 29 mpg on the highway. Still has the original plugs and wires. I did replace an oxygen sensor 4 or 5 years ago but that is it. I do buy the best tires and keep them rotated every oil change. The Terrains are in no way, an SUV.
Next question is how fast were you driving? I've got a 2021 GMC Acadia with a V6. If I keep my speed 65 or under I can get around 30 mpg with no wind and fairly level terrain.

I think my wife is going to loan me her subie forester for my solo trip/trips this year. Averages 38 on the highway. Of course, it won't loaded but a lot better than my Tacoma at 18. It got 21 when I bought it but after I put a pretty big topper on and oversized tires, not very good. I'm still thinking about buying one for myself just so I won't have to answer to her for how it's going to smell after a week.

Next question is how fast were you driving? I've got a 2021 GMC Acadia with a V6. If I keep my speed 65 or under I can get around 30 mpg with no wind and fairly level terrain.
My average was 68 mph. Some interstate driving and some just state highways. Again 4 cylinder and much smaller vehicle than the Acadia.

I think my wife is going to loan me her subie forester for my solo trip/trips this year. Averages 38 on the highway. Of course, it won't loaded but a lot better than my Tacoma at 18. It got 21 when I bought it but after I put a pretty big topper on and oversized tires, not very good. I'm still thinking about buying one for myself just so I won't have to answer to her for how it's going to smell after a week.
Not me, the Tacoma will be full of gas and rolling 70-75 mph down the road. Won't have to worry about snow or mud. A 2wd won't get you far around here when it rains. I get right around 20 mpg out of my Tacoma. It is a 2020 model TRD Off Road with a topper.

birddude, not sure where you are from or how far you drive, but I think I would agree with WKBH and spend a couple extra $s on the gas for a 4x4 truck rather that $30Kish on a vehicle that might have issues getting where you want to go. And then you would own a Subaru and be one of those guys. I think it would be called "buyer's remorse".

I traded with my wife. She gets to go to Germany for 10 days and I get to go hunting without letting me know the cost of my trips.
Seriously, one or two trips to SW-NE for about 5 days of hunting (2 1/2hrs one way). May take my TT with me to save some costs on lodging/meals Boondocking. The rest at the hunt club nearby or eastern CO taking a walk with the dogs. Cant wait (really) Gotta get her on birds. She is now 8 months and getting ready. IMG_1570.JPG

No, about 25 miles west of there. You know where Holstein, IA is? I see no location listed in your bio.

My average was 68 mph. Some interstate driving and some just state highways. Again 4 cylinder and much smaller vehicle than the Acadia.
My wife just got an AWD Rav4 hybrid and that thing is awesome. We were getting 37-38 mpg @ 82-84 MPH coming back from Colorado earlier in the month. It is a company car for her, but when the time comes for a new one we might try and buy this one.

No, about 25 miles west of there. You know where Holstein, IA is? I see no location listed in your bio.
I do. I'm from Omaha and my wife's family lives and farms up in the Holstein and Ida Grove area. Shoot me a PM and maybe try and link up this fall. (y)

Reach-out when you are in the area and we can maybe each see some new terrain. I will have to prepare for that long 40-50 minute drive, if we meet on your ground! Opener is coming!

Back