Chick sighting thread?

Exactly! These weather trends are easy to pinpoint with all the online tools…but overall, much of SD has had good rain at the right time.

Guys, these posts are meaningless if you don’t share general locations (state or part of state)
True, there wouldn't be anything at all wrong with that. But typically unnecessary. The talk of weather/conditions as they relate to pheasants, especially seeing pheasants, is all many of us need to get interested, if not excited.

Oh ya, but I only hunt Iowa, any earlier, my old GSP wouldn't been able to handle the heat...my new GSP is black, he might struggle with the heat even more I am fearing. There ususally aren't too many hunting days in IOWA with temps in the 50s or above before noon.

So my buddy has a 200 acre farm that has a creek running almost thru the middle of it. A small field corn/beans rotation and 40 acres of brome make up 1 side. There is probably 30 acres of creek bottom crp with rows of trees and the normal creek bottom trees and brush. The balance is a small building site and and a larger corn/bean field. Guy is a efficient farmer. There used to be good pheasant #s on the property. He would introduce young nephews and nieces to hunting there. Well after coyotes moved in
The bird numbers dropped considerably. The state got permission from him to introduce turkeys and he didn't think they would be a problem so he agreed. Pheasants became nonexistent in a couple years. I have hunted there a couple times in the past few years just trying to find any sign and no birds.

Last year I saw a couple roosters out early in the year. Yesterday dogs pointed a hen and she had at least 4 pigeon sized chicks with her! Now on the downside I also saw a young skunk , and a young racoon so the birds are still up against it.

Was damn nice to see that little brood! I won't run the dogs back out there for a month and when I do I will be toting a varmint gun.

NW Iowa, driving to Okoboji Friday evening. Saw 4 adult pheasants (no chicks) in 3 places where I rarely, if ever, see a pheasant, and all at around 6:00 pm, which isn't really prime time for them to be out & about. Saw NO pheasants in the 4-mile stretch where I usually see them. But I know they're out there. Conditions look great!

Back