New strap vest

Bob Peters

This one comes up every season, probably multiple times. I have a browning traditional vest that I really like and will keep forever. That said it can be a touch hot at times. I've been looking to grab my first strap vest before season, the only real requirement is I want one with a shoulder strap that won't interfere with my mount. I've seen a few that have buckles too close to the shoulder pocket for my taste, or maybe really thick padding. I appreciate the recommendations as always.

The buckles on Filson strap vests are well below the shoulder. Very durable quality too.

I just bought the new Filson strap vest. Super impressed by the quality and feature on vest. A bit pricey but looks to last a long long time. Front pocket for dog trAnsmitter, nice front pockets that won’t let shells fall out and a spot for h20 bladder. I think they have been on hold for almost a year.

I have had a Q5 Rimfire for several seasons now and I love it! It's not the best for short walks in my opinion. Not a pain to take it off between fields really, but when I had the traditional I could just leave it on all day. A small thing really. On the bigger walks it's a necessity, for both me and the dogs

I just bought the new Filson strap vest. Super impressed by the quality and feature on vest. A bit pricey but looks to last a long long time. Front pocket for dog trAnsmitter, nice front pockets that won’t let shells fall out and a spot for h20 bladder. I think they have been on hold for almost a year.

It will last a long time.

I don't hunt in warm temps. 100% of my hunting is after firearms deer season is over in early November here and beyond, so it is rare that I get anything above 50 degrees to hunt in. If the strap vest is primarily because a traditional one is too warm, I have no reason to use one.

My vest also has orange patches on the shoulders and I don't always wear an orange hat, so in order to be legal I have to wear it.

Final Rise has a newish version of their vest out. It is a little cheaper than their main Summit version. I have the Summit and Love it. I use it for Quail, Pheasant, Dove, Crow, and Turkey hunting. Very versatile.

I've hunted a lot in 70+ weather, & my old "traditional" vest just doesn't add appreciable heat as long as I'm dressed appropriately underneath, which usually amounts to a light, long-sleeve tshirt (long sleeve only so arms don't get scratched up by grass/weeds). If it's 70+, I'm going to be hot regardless of which vest I wear. But as mentioned above, the vast majority of my hunting is below 50, much of it below 20. Each item of clothing decreases my comfort level by one notch. And my old vest provides a legit layer around my core, particularly in terms of breaking the wind (yes, breaking wind :ROFLMAO:). So I get to wear 1 less layer than those that go the strap vest route.

I was in dire need of a vest before last season. Apparently I added a few pounds during my two decades away from bird hunting, and my old vest didn't fit. The year before I used a fleece big game vest. It was hot and heavy! In looking for a new vest, I found nothing in stock, in stores or online. After what seemed like weeks of research I ordered a Final Rise vest. I have never regretted the decision. It's very comfortable. Holds plenty of water for the dogs and myself. Plenty of room for shells and dog first aid supplies. I can slide a bird into the game bag one-handed and it has lashes to hold extra clothing. They are not cheap, but few things that are handmade in the USA are.

I have a strap vest and coat, both are browning and have considerable years and miles. Both have been well worth the money as well. The strap vest sees 90 percent of the field time. I only wear the coat if it’s below 20 or there is precipitation.

I have a few strap vests. One is a really light weight old Cabela's vest. Very basic. Two pockets and a game bag. Great for hoping in and out of truck doing small areas or ditches. I don't use it much anymore. My primary vest is a Pella strap vest that they don't make anymore. It can be hard to get birds in the back but it works and I like it.

Out of boredom, I just ordered a Final Rise vest. Do I need it? No, but I ordered it anyway. Just got the box and waiting for Father's Day to open it. I am going to pretend my kids bought it for me for Father's Day because they're going to inherit $300 less when I'm gone.

I’ve never looked at a strap vest. Are any front loading? Have terrible arm flexibility .
Perfectly happy with my traditional. Holds a limit of pheasants plus easy. Magnetic shell pocket flaps, water bottle pockets, extra bag on the back for carrying a shedded sweatshirt. And all sorts of other interior and exterior pockets for car keys, cellphones and transmitters.
Peregrine is the brand and can be found a lot cheaper than list if you look around a bit

Back