Moisture coming….

2005, lots of SD lost power for 10-20 days…20,000 poles went down…my generator ran the farmhouse pretty well, smart guys in my gang turned the power to the line off, then we backfilled into the washer or dryer? Does that sound correct? Opened a window and ran the cord into the house to the dryer I think…fun in a way…we prevailed. 6000 watt generator.

2005, lots of SD lost power for 10-20 days…20,000 poles went down…my generator ran the farmhouse pretty well, smart guys in my gang turned the power to the line off, then we backfilled into the washer or dryer? Does that sound correct? Opened a window and ran the cord into the house to the dryer I think…fun in a way…we prevailed. 6000 watt generator.
Yes, it sounds correct.

Another round may be on the way. Apparently, there are many "disturbances" triggering out in the Pacific just south of Alaska.

Backfed/backfeed

This morning on the local news, they are talking about Sioux City possibly needing to implement water conservation efforts soon it we don't receive substantial rain. Lack of precipation locally and runoff in the Missouri River basin causing this. The director they interviewed said in his 20 years, they have never needed to use any of these efforts. So still dry here, not much change. 80% chance of some rain here tomorrow...we'll see if that happens. I does look like we are done (for a week away) breaking low temp records. Low was 19 Tuesday morning and farmers were planting corn all over the area later in the day, guess they feel the pressure to get it in the ground with the current prices....optimistic that it will rain...and warm-up! More high winds continuing, that is getting old. All will be fine, eventually.

This morning on the local news, they are talking about Sioux City possibly needing to implement water conservation efforts soon it we don't receive substantial rain. Lack of precipation locally and runoff in the Missouri River basin causing this. The director they interviewed said in his 20 years, they have never needed to use any of these efforts.
That is downright scary. Its happening everywhere in the western half of the country too. I would not want to make decisions with water right now.

Here in central MN we had the worst drought I've ever experienced last year, but a surplus of snow this winter plus substantial rain so far this spring has helped us dig out of it nicely thus far. We had water cuts last summer too, the first time I had experienced that living here. Hopefully you get some much needed moisture tomorrow and a wetter pattern continues.

any updates from those in ND or with contacts up there?

Talked to guys in north central SD and they got 2-2.25” between Friday and Saturday. Put some areas to 4” in the last 7-8 days. What that area needed!

any updates from those in ND or with contacts up there?

Talked to guys in north central SD and they got 2-2.25” between Friday and Saturday. Put some areas to 4” in the last 7-8 days. What that area needed!
My area of ND, drought is over. Many areas will have no
Power until the 15th to 31st of May.

That seems crazy that it could take that long. It must be a LARGE area or just one heck of a blow/icing there or maybe power poles and everything else they need are hard to come-by now (like a lot of things). Whatever it is, a bad deal for the folks living there. We receiced a strong half inch where I live in this last opportuntity Friday/Saturday. Enough to give the farmers a 3-4 day break, doesn't dry-out very quick with the cool temps we have. 10 miles south they had about an inch, spotty as usual. Hope they do better that they think on the time to get power restored and I also hope the majority of the birds survived it.

That seems crazy that it could take that long. It must be a LARGE area or just one heck of a blow/icing there or maybe power poles and everything else they need are hard to come-by now (like a lot of things). Whatever it is, a bad deal for the folks living there. We receiced a strong half inch where I live in this last opportuntity Friday/Saturday. Enough to give the farmers a 3-4 day break, doesn't dry-out very quick with the cool temps we have. 10 miles south they had about an inch, spotty as usual. Hope they do better that they think on the time to get power restored and I also hope the majority of the birds ent survived it.
I saw the color-coded map that shows the 4 different date ranges for re-establishment of power, put out by the electric utility. Thousands of poles snapped….

"US Farm Report" just played a segment on the ND spring blizzards with a rancher. They were with a family that just starting to calve during these 2 back-to-back storms, they had pics of calves filling up the back seat of a pick-up and calves warming-up/drying off in the front entry inside their home. But what the take-away was, that the family was thankful for the moisture that ended the extreme drought they have had for 2 years. They lost calves, but it saved them from having to sell the herd. It really made me think about many of our thoughts/concerns about weather are so insignificant compared to the survival of gererational family ranching/farming operations.

Back