Let's talk spring turkey hunting

the birds can become decoy shy, so no decoy will be set
The last few seasons I haven't even used a decoy or a call. I did the first year I was hunting this particular flock and 3 toms came rolling right in. By the second season though, I could tell they were turned off by decoys and a call, so I didn't use them anymore.

My dilemma now is that they fly directly from the roost into the field. I'm tempted to place my blind smack dab right in the middle of the field. To me, it sticks out like a sore thumb and its unnatural. But I have heard others say that it doesn't bother turkeys. What are your thoughts on blind placement? Should I try in the field or keep it tucked away along the edge of the woods?

The last few seasons I haven't even used a decoy or a call. I did the first year I was hunting this particular flock and 3 toms came rolling right in. By the second season though, I could tell they were turned off by decoys and a call, so I didn't use them anymore.

My dilemma now is that they fly directly from the roost into the field. I'm tempted to place my blind smack dab right in the middle of the field. To me, it sticks out like a sore thumb and its unnatural. But I have heard others say that it doesn't bother turkeys. What are your thoughts on blind placement? Should I try in the field or keep it tucked away along the edge of the woods?
Put your blind out few days before season and throw a few branches around it and they'll be used to it in no time at all.

Ok, I must confess I may love turkey hunting the best of all, so there I said it out loud.

So tactics are standard every year. Start out early season using a flock set up for first couple weeks then move to a strutter decoy, or 3/4 strut Jake and hen for the middle part of the season and then the last two weeks generally a hen only decoy. I have found this to work well in the past.

This year I have the first two weeks booked guiding out of state friends. Then a hunt with outdoors writers and Nomad camo for CZ.

In May I am off to NW NE to the Pine ridge area for a Merriam's. Then back to KS to wrap up the season taking a corporate PF partner hunting for her first KS bird.

Pictured is my CZ Reaper Magnum w/ Vortex red dot loaded with TSS 3in #9 shot.

Good luck and be safe out there!

Attachments

• 2018rioreaper2.jpg
    2018rioreaper2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 2016 Double.jpg
    2016 Double.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 7

turkey unlike deer don't care if a blind suddenly appears. I would however wear all black upper clothing so you blend in better.

Sounds like you have a great season lined up, kick them up! Best of luck!! Keep us posted on how your season goes! That TSS is amazing stuff..............settled on 7 shot a few years back..........................just couldn't convince myself that 9 shot was a large enough pellet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sounds like you have a great season lined up, kick them up! Best of luck!! Keep us posted on how your season goes! That TSS is amazing stuff..............settled on 7 shot a few years back..........................just couldn't convince myself that 9 shot was a large enough pellet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I always had thought that I liked a smaller pellet on turkeys but I'd bought a shell that had 4s and 6s combined years ago and found that a lot of the 4s wound up in the feather and outer skin, those 6s were buried deep or passed on through. That shell made my mind on up for me, smaller it is. Plus when you shoot like I do a few extra pellets is never a bad thing. 😆

Watched a good TSS video early this morning on the Vortex website .................discussing the effective range of TSS.................It is a bit lengthy - 37 minutes - but worth it. I use TSS, but still keep my shots inside 50 yards............I credit Hevi Shot's marketing campaign................."I didn't come this far to miss" with changing my mindset to more expensive..............but much more lethal ammo. When you factor in all the trip costs, $5 per load (now $10 (n)due to covid BS) is a very small cost overall. Plus, you only need one shot, in theory:ROFLMAO:

very small cost overall. Plus, you only need one shot, in theory
You really should only need one shot. If you miss, and get another opportunity, you are one lucky SOB. The ammo isn't cheap but if you are only using 1 shot per season, one box will last you a while.

Here's my take on the ultra expensive turkey shells, they aren't necessary. There hasn't been one turkey that I've shot at and not gotten that I blamed the shell. Come to think, I'm not sure there's been a turkey that I've shot at that didn't find it's way onto my plate. If you get them into range, even the cheaper Remington Nitro Turkeys do just fine. The last few boxes of turkey shells I've used were Winchester Longbeard Cars and then Magnum Blends. I stick with the Winchester's as they are priced well and turkeys fall over just the same as the Magnum Blends.

Tungsten will always be superior to lead in density. And think if you sprinkle the front of a turkey w/#9tss and happen to bite into a tiny pellet, poof, tooth cracked and gone, $$$$. Lead is good enough for me.

Attachments

• MN Turkey.jpg
    MN Turkey.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 6
Here's my take on the ultra expensive turkey shells, they aren't necessary. There hasn't been one turkey that I've shot at and not gotten that I blamed the shell. Come to think, I'm not sure there's been a turkey that I've shot at that didn't find it's way onto my plate. If you get them into range, even the cheaper Remington Nitro Turkeys do just fine. The last few boxes of turkey shells I've used were Winchester Longbeard Cars and then Magnum Blends. I stick with the Winchester's as they are priced well and turkeys fall over just the same as the Magnum Blends.
I'll go ahead and agree with a portion of this. Standard turkey loads are fine IF you can get them into acceptable range. Standard range prior to the introduction of specialized ammo was approximately 35 yards. I patterned my shotgun and fell several turkeys at this range, or shorter, with the proper turkey ammo and shotgun. I started using Wincheter's Longbeard XR when it first came out about 7-8 years ago and when I pattered it at the range, it was a significant improvement. After seeing what it did at the range out to 60 yards, I felt comfortable taking a shot at a turkey that was within 65 yards. With standard ammo, there's no way I'd even consider it. Well then I got my chance the next couple seasons to see if it worked on a turkey that far out. The first two seasons I used it I dropped turkeys at 50 and 61 yards. That sold me on it.

I was having difficulty getting turkeys to come within that 35 yard range so the new longer range ammo was really a game changer. They would always hold up around 50 yards.

Fast forward to the last couple of seasons. Now, the issue is getting a legal bearded turkey to come within 65 yard range. They're holding up around 75-80 yards out. There's nothing I can do other than watch them. Its extremely frustrating.

When I deer hunt, I use a scoped rifle. I've dropped deer that were almost 400 yards away. Taking a 250 yard shot with a good leaner is nothing. Basically, if I see a deer, I can shoot it, more or less. So to just sit there and watch my target like a turkey for an hour because its out of range really sticks in my craw. I don't archery hunt, but I have to imagine that constantly seeing a deer or turkey but not having them come within close range would tick me off too.

I'll go ahead and agree with a portion of this. Standard turkey loads are fine IF you can get them into acceptable range. Standard range prior to the introduction of specialized ammo was approximately 35 yards. I patterned my shotgun and fell several turkeys at this range, or shorter, with the proper turkey ammo and shotgun. I started using Wincheter's Longbeard XR when it first came out about 7-8 years ago and when I pattered it at the range, it was a significant improvement. After seeing what it did at the range out to 60 yards, I felt comfortable taking a shot at a turkey that was within 65 yards. With standard ammo, there's no way I'd even consider it. Well then I got my chance the next couple seasons to see if it worked on a turkey that far out. The first two seasons I used it I dropped turkeys at 50 and 61 yards. That sold me on it.

I was having difficulty getting turkeys to come within that 35 yard range so the new longer range ammo was really a game changer. They would always hold up around 50 yards.

Fast forward to the last couple of seasons. Now, the issue is getting a legal bearded turkey to come within 65 yard range. They're holding up around 75-80 yards out. There's nothing I can do other than watch them. Its extremely frustrating.

When I deer hunt, I use a scoped rifle. I've dropped deer that were almost 400 yards away. Taking a 250 yard shot with a good leaner is nothing. Basically, if I see a deer, I can shoot it, more or less. So to just sit there and watch my target like a turkey for an hour because its out of range really sticks in my craw. I don't archery hunt, but I have to imagine that constantly seeing a deer or turkey but not having them come within close range would tick me off too.
The last few years I've been archery hunting for turkey. Definitely a little different challenge getting them to come into range. I haven't taken one with my bow yet, maybe this year now that I've found a new place close to home I should have more opportunity. I could have shot a Jake with my bow last year but I was stuck in my shotgun mindset with not shooting Jake's anymore. Was about 10 yards out, don't know why I passed on him. Maybe this year someone will get him and he'll have a beard and spurs.

The last few years I've been archery hunting for turkey. Definitely a little different challenge getting them to come into range.
The success rate for archery hunting spring turkeys in MN is like 10%. Good luck to you! Even the success rate with a shotgun here is not very good, its between 20-25%. I won't pass on a jake anymore. In previous years, I would and then I'd never get another chance.

The success rate for archery hunting spring turkeys in MN is like 10%. Good luck to you! Even the success rate with a shotgun here is not very good, its between 20-25%. I won't pass on a jake anymore. In previous years, I would and then I'd never get another chance.
I tried for 4 years to kill one with a recurve without a blind. I would hunt the first week with the bow then switch. I had several birds in range but couldn't close. Finally got a decent shot and managed for once to get to full draw. Choked and missed it. Then shot at least 100 arrow almost everyday for weeks until it screwed up my shoulder. Dam I hate old age!!

So I guess I lied about just playing with them this year again. My 11 yr old daughter's first bird today! Sat just 45 min, perfect for a kid. And to throw a wrench in the choke/shot size talk, this was a 20 guage with a fixed skeet barrel with 2 3/4 in 71/2 shot at 15 yds and rolled ole Tommy right up. I know about the choke, but the gun is really light and she is really comfortable with it so thats what we took. Best turkey hunt I'll ever have!20220409_164243~2.jpg

Last edited:
So I guess I lied about just playing with them this year again. My 11 yr old daughter's first bird today! Sat just 45 min, so perfect for a kid. And to throw a wrench in the choke/shot size talk, this was a 20 guage with a fixed skeet barrel with 2 3/4 in 71/2 shot at 15 yds and rolled ole Tommy right up. I know about the choke, but the gun is really light and she is really comfortable with it so thats what we took. Best turkey hunt I'll ever have!View attachment 3212

Back