Are you staying home?

My comment was made 10000% tongue-in-cheek. Even though I live within an hour & a half of almost all my pheasants, I'm well aware they're anything but inexpensive.
Hey, as long as the wife believes it, we are good !!

A friend and I hunted near Pierre, SD and Mobridge, SD last October. Tough hunting in areas we were familiar with. Gas prices didn't help either. Then a group of us hunted Great Bend, KS in late November. Again, tough. Then, just to show we were gluttons for punishment, we hunted GB in late January. It sucked also.
So, while trying to prove that my mother may indeed have dropped me as a baby, I am in the planning stages of a hunt this fall that will start in Manhattan, MT, go south through the central states, turn west in TX and end up in NM 6 to 8 weeks later.
Any info anyone can offer on ND, OK, TX hunting and Nebraska sandhills hunting would be appreciated.
No, I am not staying home.

Same. I'm about 65 miles one way from all of my pheasant hunting, so there's no lodging or meal expenses. I actually think its pretty reasonable for me to have the kind of hunting that I do and be able to sleep in my own bed after every hunt.
Reasonable is an understatement. It's fantastic! Those of us living in pheasant country, even if it's intentional, are blessed.

Those of us living in pheasant country, even if it's intentional, are blessed.
I hear ya. I didn't select where I live solely based on proximity to good pheasant hunting, but there is probably going to come a point where I don't have that opportunity anymore so as long as I'm able to, I'm going to take advantage of it.

rumor today, some gas stations are programing their pumps for an additional digit, yup, they are preparing for
$10 plus gasoline. would guess the east and west coasts are the ones, but that would probably leave the midwest at
7 or 8 dollars per gallon. now it's getting serious. BDBH still my plan too.

Last edited:
I can’t justify spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 (or more) just in gas for five days of hunting to maybe shoot a couple handfuls of pheasants, especially since I’m only two hours from good ruffed grouse country. Just gonna have to put more pressure on the forest birds.

I can’t justify spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 (or more) just in gas for five days of hunting to maybe shoot a couple handfuls of pheasants, especially since I’m only two hours from good ruffed grouse country. Just gonna have to put more pressure on the forest birds.
I can save 200.00 plus and just drive up and Hunt ruffs with you!! But then I would probably just go ahead and go out west anyway. So I'll probably do the smart thing and spend 15 k on a vehicle that gets good gas mpg., then drive twice the distance!! Sounds smart to me!!

I go visit my mom in the nursing home and see the people “living” there…they’d trade everything they’ve got for a few good weeks of health and freedom…stay home if your family won’t eat otherwise…other than that, live while you can.
I'll bet that in the back of most of our minds, there is that fear.... Investments gone...10.00 gas....bread lines... I've always said If wild bird #s come back to good levels, something bad will have to happen to agriculture.... GULP!!

Back