northeastern, Montana October 2023 place to rent

Capecodmike

A buddy and I are thinking about coming out to northeastern montana for month to bird and deer hunt. Possibly the Glasgow area +/-.

i‘ve looked for a 3 bedroom rental in the area (on the chance another buddy to two comes out for a shorter stay). Vrbo, Vacasa, spoke to a couple of real estate brokers. I don’t see a whole lot to rent.

I thought I would turn to the forum here to see if anyone might have an off market connection. Place would need to be furnished and dog friendly for one well behaved bird dog.

we are thinking October of 2023 into early November. If anyone has any ideas please pm me.

thanks in advance.

Im
Not trying to rain on your parade, but taking a long trip to Montana is in my mind crazy. Way too big of country and too many hazards. Montana hunting is not easy for man or beast. We most of the time take at least 6 amd have taken as many as 10. Don’t think we have ever had too
Much dog power.

Capecodmike
Sorry i don’t have a lead for a place to stay
But I say go have some fun. I hunt Montana with one dog and he does fine. We target pheasant and pick up Huns and sharpies as we find them. My dog has never had a pad issue(has busted a couple toe nails, hasn’t slowed him down) he puts on a minimum of 10 (gps) miles a day. We hunt three days straight. If I was going for a month, I would either take days off or only hunt a few hours a day. Watch the temp, plenty of water and plenty of breaks. I do the same in ND.

As a native Montanan and avid hunter, I have never booted my dogs in MT- never had any reason to. Make sure your pups pads are "toughened up."
Northeastern MT is a vast expanse of real estate with a variety of terrain, but nothing compared to the sharp volcanic rock found in parts of Arizona. Yes, we have prickly pear cactus, but dogs will readily learn to avoid them as much as possible. October can deliver a wild range of temperatures. Take caution of warm days when the temps can easily reached 70+ degrees by mid to late morning (on the other hand it can be well below freezing- prepare for all)

My biggest concerns while bird hunting the first part of the season are porcupines, skunks, rattlesnakes, hot days and the occasional badger.
I know of a place that has pet friendly - fully furnished cabins for rent. Not sure if they have any vacancies-- pm me for contact number.

Why my one dog has issues I don’t know…I did do my best to toughen her pads last summer…I know many other guys whose dogs experience the same thing…several threads about it on Upland Journal…

When hunting on rough ground and wheat stubble my friend's labs always had foot issues. Booted after hunting just one day. Abrasions around the pads and nails developed. It took weeks to heal. Boots made the difference to prevent issues on dry, rough and abrasive ground. Helps with ground cactus too. I do believe certain labs had more foot ailments than other breeds. If you are thinking of booting your dog, just do it and don't wait before it is too late.

dogbooties.com

they make boots for sled dogs, different grades/thicknesses available.
my hot climate prevents excess running to toughen the paws, these are the way to go.
reduces abrasions in a big way. worth the money!
the light weight ones wear out in 3 days or so, but still worth it, very flexible. velcro straps.

Never had to boot my dogs in MT, but do go over all their feet every night. Biggest problem is mud that dries between the toes if left in that can cripple a dog. Removing it at night is essential. Also I don't go until there has been frost, no danger of blue green algae than.

Never had to boot my dogs in MT, but do go over all their feet every night. Biggest problem is mud that dries between the toes if left in that can cripple a dog. Removing it at night is essential. Also I don't go until there has been frost, no danger of blue green algae than.
the boots protect against grass awns getting between the toes too, stay on well with stretch velcro, easy to wash up in the kitchen sink, dry overnight. added protection.

Back