Rising Costs

I'm building a new house right now as a retirement gift to my wife. We cancelled it last year because of material costs. I won't dispute that gas is high, but $16.59 for a 2x6 stud, 77.96 per sheet for floor sheathing, $25.62 for a 2x6 16 . Well, you get the picture..
And we are 20% higher here in resort town; I don’t know how people can afford these prices…

I'm building a new house right now as a retirement gift to my wife. We cancelled it last year because of material costs. I won't dispute that gas is high, but $16.59 for a 2x6 stud, 77.96 per sheet for floor sheathing, $25.62 for a 2x6 16 . Well, you get the picture..
It is predicted prices will climb again this summer. See the below announcement from Sustainable Forestry Initiative. Effective March 2 for a six-month period (subject to extension) all timber originating from Russia and Belarus is ‘conflict timber’ and therefore cannot be used in PEFC-certified products. By extension this applies to such timber entering the SFI supply chain as well. This action will likely further constrain global timber supply and could put additional upward pressure on U.S. lumber prices.

More info at: Timber from Russia and Belarus considered ‘conflict timber’ - PEFC - Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification

I don't know how people can afford some of the homes I see for sale. 600,000 maybe 700,000 bucks? I can't afford that. Apparently people must make a A LOT more money than I do.
I've built homes my whole life. At 64, I did not want to build this one on my own, but with prices they way they were, I decided to tackle it to save money on labor to go towards materials. I've been able to get this 2 story house to the roof truss stage so far with help from a high school retired air force guy and a part time laborer. We set the garage trusses yesterday and got the roof sheathed. Too cold to work outside on Friday so we brought gable ends into the shop and prepped them with lookouts, sub fascia and housewrap. Headed to Chamberlain to fish for a couple days of rest.

Back