SD late season public ground?

Gobbler

If the driving weather permits, I think I will motor about 20 hours and go look for some late season SD roosters. I know asking you to post pheasants hunting spots in SD is like asking you to post your S.S. # on the dark web and believe me I understand. So what I'm asking is maybe a decent section of the state that has a bunch of public ground. I will be hunting alone with my two labs. I know with the OnX app I can find my way around if pointed in a general direction. If required, I will wear a blindfold while hunting just to keep your spot safe. Also gives me a great excuse for missed shot. Any vague info will be appreciated. Thanks

Look at the SD GFP hunting atlas and search for areas with lots of WPA’s…best winter cover. I would be within 50 miles of the James River. And North of I 90 and South of Hwy 12. Big area, but I’ll stick with that advice,

WPAs best bet for public

Look at the SD GFP hunting atlas and search for areas with lots of WPA’s…best winter cover. I would be within 50 miles of the James River. And North of I 90 and South of Hwy 12. Big area, but I’ll stick with that advice,
Would second what BB said, big area but focus on wpas or game areas. Good luck post a reporr or pictures.

My observations lately are that the birds are bunched in the best winter cover around…WPA’s are often just that. Lots of private cattail sloughs have been disked under due to dry conditions…I’d focus on WPA’s, but knock on doors if you see good cover…,

I'd say any area west of Hwy 81 that has a lot of Waterfowl Production Areas. And before you head out, look at a snow cover map. Right now, the NE corner of the state is really the only place there's enough snow. We got 2"-3" Friday in my area, which isn't enough to slow the pheasants down at all. They're running little bastards & awful spooky right now.

Thanks men...as soon as I dig out of the 18" of snow I got here in Upstate New York. (for the record close to Lake Ontario. Nowhere near the NYC)
I will head west. I'm sure they are as spooky as a whitetail on the last day of gun season.
Thanks again

As far as knocking on doors Ive learned, never mention I'm from NY state without adding the Upstate New York and hope that maybe the landowner has visited the area and knows. Upstate NY is a completely different planet than NYC. So they tell me, as I've never been to the NYC and have no interest in going.
Usually one look at my face and most landowners feel sorry for me and let me hunt. I can usually hear them whisper to their wife as I'm walking away. "poor old fella"

As far as type's of public land's, or should I say public access lands, I had a little different experience last year during this same time frame. I didn't see much on WPAs, CREPs were my bread and butter, and of all places my hot spot that was loaded to the gills was a Walk In Area. All these dudes who posted before me have hunted out there way more than me and I believe what they're telling you. I'm just saying if you get out there and are cruising around looking for spots to hunt in an area you've never been in your life, don't write one off just because of the color of the squares on the map book.

For sure. But what I can tell you based on about 40 days of SD hunting this season, including 4 trips between Dec/Jan, the birds have been focused on cattails, in my experience. WPA’s are a great place for cattails. You might find them on other types of public land as well, but in my experience, WPA’s offer the best winter cover. Once you pick an area, scout as soon as it’s light out…drive around. There’s a WPA I drive by regularly right next to a well traveled highway…I routinely see 50-100 birds feeding in a picked field adjacent to it…it’s the recipe for what the birds need—food and winter cover. They’ll use cedars as well, seen that a lot. Find an area with lots of public land, scout like mad!! Don’t be afraid to call CO’s, they’re listed on the website. Good luck!

Last edited:
In many, many cases, if pheasants are roosting on publicly accessible land, they might only spend an hour on that land during the day. Say 20 minutes in the morning as they walk off it to go eat breakfast at sunrise, & 40 minutes in the evening before sunset. Otherwise, if weather's not horrible enough to really make them want to stay put, they're milling around in trees, lighter cattails, grass, thickets, any place they can be safe, comfortable, & doesn't take them too awful far from their mid/late afternoon feeding spot. But they can easily spend most of their day 1/2 mile from their roosting spot. My point is, they move, almost continually, during the day, even as they feed. But if they're not feeding, they're invisible, moving (within cover) from 1 prime hangout spot to the next. So look for spots where the public cattails, big thicket, thick draw, etc. bleeds across the fence onto private land. Lots of times, most of the birds may be clear across the fence, out of reach, but sometimes you'll catch a few close to the fence. Particularly, look for these spots in the far reaches of the area, away from roads & parking areas. Almost always, being near easy food ups the odds.

And try to minimize your discouragement if you find a piece of cover with tons of fresh tracks, but no pheasants. You just missed them, that's all. Could've been by 5 minutes; could've been by several hours. But the next little spot just like it could have 50 birds in it. They're around. It's just a simple matter of finding them & trying to pin them down. Simple. 🤣🤣🤣

Good points made by A5…find the epicenter and then figure out where they are at any given point in the day. Once snow falls, many of the usual suspect spots become less hospitable. Though I was mostly on private land, I was finding the birds in or extremely close to cattails at all hours of the day over the last 6-8 weeks…exceptions were last Tue/Wed, temps in the 50’s!!!

My observations lately are that the birds are bunched in the best winter cover around…WPA’s are often just that. Lots of private cattail sloughs have been disked under due to dry conditions…I’d focus on WPA’s, but knock on doors if you see good cover…,

Back