Lost my private ground

TABLEROCK

We just lost access to our longtime private hunting ground and are now in a pinch to access some new ground. Looking for some new private ground to hunt around Pierre SD. Willing to pay a fee anywhere within 75 miles of Pierre and either side of the river. No lodges please.

PM any recommendations

4 Hunters in our group.

I've lived in SD for over 30 years. Used to have a lot of private land to hunt. It's all dried up unless you are willing to pay. Not sure what you were paying for the land or what you want to pay now. But good private land brings a premium. I know a great place within 70 miles of Pierre but their prices have skyrocketed. I just looked on their web site and they are now getting $500/day just to hunt, no lodging or food. This is a family farm operation and not a lodge or preserve. They have great hunting but $500 for 3 pheasants seems ridiculous. But as long as they can get people to pay it will keep going up. Good luck in your search, sorry I can't be of more help.

Hate to say it, but you'll probably be forking over a chunk of change to find some private hunting ground. Your best bet is boots on the ground, knocking on doors and hope you find some old timer farmer that is WAY out of the loop on how much folks will pay for private grounds.

I've lived in SD for over 30 years. Used to have a lot of private land to hunt. It's all dried up unless you are willing to pay. Not sure what you were paying for the land or what you want to pay now. But good private land brings a premium. I know a great place within 70 miles of Pierre but their prices have skyrocketed. I just looked on their web site and they are now getting $500/day just to hunt, no lodging or food. This is a family farm operation and not a lodge or preserve. They have great hunting but $500 for 3 pheasants seems ridiculous. But as long as they can get people to pay it will keep going up. Good luck in your search, sorry I can't be of more help.
Do not pay to hunt!!!!!😐😐😐

Yes ... prime hunting land does not last forever.
Although I still have most of the access to private land to hunt pheasants here in MN, I've lost my access to hunt deer on private land now four times in 25 years. The land has either been sold to new owners or the owner has granted permission to a relative instead. I don't foresee the issue occurring where I hunt birds because pheasant hunting simply does not have the popularity that deer hunting does here.

Honest question, if someone has access to quality private ground, why would they divulge it to a stranger on the internet?

I think I’m supposed to say something nice now to avoid being reported so good luck this season!

Honest question, if someone has access to quality private ground, why would they divulge it to a stranger on the internet?
I don't think they would. In fact, in my opinion, you would be an idiot if you did.

Years ago I had some great private land west of Aberdeen, SD to hunt. Hunted it for years. Then I took a local guy I knew out there to hunt. After that he went back and offered the farmer money to hunt. Eventually I was denied access to that land. Bad move on my part. If I had access to private land today it would be only for me, my grandson and maybe a close friend.

Hate to say it, but you'll probably be forking over a chunk of change to find some private hunting ground. Your best bet is boots on the ground, knocking on doors and hope you find some old timer farmer that is WAY out of the loop on how much folks will pay for private grounds.
Huh, don’t know what to say. Maybe I’m taking it wrong.

I don't think they would. In fact, in my opinion, you would be an idiot if you did.

Years ago I had some great private land west of Aberdeen, SD to hunt. Hunted it for years. Then I took a local guy I knew out there to hunt. After that he went back and offered the farmer money to hunt. Eventually I was denied access to that land. Bad move on my part. If I had access to private land today it would be only for me, my grandson and maybe a close friend.

Agree completely with you on this. I reached out to a couple of pay to hunt farms I know to help out the original poster and also shared some other thoughts with him but not sharing any of the access we have worked hard to get. That is one of the reasons it is just myself and my buddy going each year. I am not going to show others what we have worked to establish and risk losing that access. Plus I really think when it’s just the two of us and hat makes getting permission a little bit easier then 3-4+. Good luck to all this year!

Huh, don’t know what to say. Maybe I’m taking it wrong.
You seem like a fair guy from your posts - I wouldn't take offense - not in the posters mind but more likely a comment about the younger generation taking over farms and everything being about the dollar now and the changing times.

I'm not a fan of how things are changing either but bound to happen I guess.

With the inflation that we are blessed with now I am confident that will include hunting. Goosemaster will have to move to a 47 Studebaker.

If I lost my place to hunt I would call some local places I have stayed or frequented and start there. Years ago we got on a great piece of land in Eastern SD by just asking the question to a waitress where we dined. She was tipped well for the lead. At the time we were knocking on doors and hunting public. Then we forked over the money for one day and it was well worth it.

I lost a good spot 2 years ago. The owners kid got into bird hunting, and shut down the hunting permission. Dang it!!
Most common reasons I've heard for not granting permission to hunt, in this order:
4. We hunt that.
3. My son's coming out in a week to hunt.
2. We're waiting until after deer season.
1. My son-in-law hunts that.

Most common reasons I've heard for not granting permission to hunt, in this order:
4. We hunt that.
3. My son's coming out in a week to hunt.
2. We're waiting until after deer season.
1. My son-in-law hunts that.
I wish that was what the folks around here said, but the #1 reply was "Sorry, but Remy hunts that"!

I have plenty to hunt currently and if I know one of my buddies (or anyone else) hunts a parcel or has a connection/relative to it, I won't pursue it. I am not sure many places I do have permission, that the permission is exclusive to me.

One couple where I hunt, I take pumkins to in the fall, they love it! I am set there, until a grandson starts hunting.

I am also selective on who I take (very few) or who I even tell where I hunt. I know guys that will "back-door" you, like expressed above.

Back