Pup going to training for a month

So I wanted fetch. He was there for 2 months total. He pointed well but wouldn’t retrieve so all I really wanted was retrieve. Everything kinda went from there. I think a lot of the issues I face is I’m from Pa. not a whole lot of hunting dog trainers in eastern Pa
Then the dog needs solid obedience and then force fetching which if done correctly collar conditioning would come after obedience then followed by FF. Does your trainer have a force fetch table? What method does he use for force fetching? Ear or toe pinch? Followed by stick and collar fetch. Did he show you the procedure with another dog in training? All questions to ask before hand. One of the best pointing dog trainers in the country is in your state.

He does have a FF table but I have not seen him use it personally. I know he says he does ear pinch. I will definately ask. I’d really like to learn this stuff myself as I really enjoy watching the dog I’m just completely clueless with hunting dog training. Hence me asking questions here. What trainer is that? I know there’s a well known one in western Pa somewhere

Get him a pile of bird contacts this season and he will figure out the hunting/finding part of this, he is a GSP, they know what to do, it might just be under the surface. The steady to whatever and retrieving that you are requiring are what is going to take the training and time.

Question, are you just a hard core hunter, 20 or more outings a season, going to competitions, a guiding service for hunters or how are you intending to use this dog?

Remy Thanks. I am from SE Pa so there are no real wild pheasant here. Me I hunt stocked birds and I do like to hunt as much as I can but am not what I’d call a hardcore bird hunter. What I want to do is take my son and dad out to a preserve and hunt birds and have a good time. I enjoy watching him work birds. I’d also like to do chukar challenges basically for fun. If I could win great if not no sweat off my back. So basically my dog is used to have fun hunting with family and go to chukar challenges. That said if he dosent point or retrieve no way he’d have a chance to win a challenge

Back