Possession Limit

The people they really need to arrest, are the ones who exceed the daily bag limit.That is poaching.

Poaching is poaching. Whether you have exceeded the daily bag limit or the possession limit, you are in violation of the rules. One is not worse than the other. They often go hand in hand too. If a person violates one, they are quite often violating the other and a game officer will know this.

Poaching is poaching. Whether you have exceeded the daily bag limit or the possession limit, you are in violation of the rules. One is not worse than the other. They often go hand in hand too. If a person violates one, they are quite often violating the other and a game officer will know this.

Notice how nobody comments? Because they always have more than 9 birds at home,that's why.

I don't know anybody who considers what you have at home, as possession. I agree with this comment.
See the article I posted about Michigan. It seems there are some COs who would count what's in your home freezer. Granted, that's fishing, but in some states possession most definitely includes what you have at home. Even the actual regs posted at the beginning of this thread confirm it.

Don't know about your state, and of course you can do what you want, but I'll keep the number of Kansas-killed roosters in my Kansas-located freezer below 16. Any roosters I bring home from an out of state hunt will be labelled with a date, a count, and a state of origin and I won't consider them when counting to 16. There won't be any hard evidence about where those birds were killed, but I'll know where they came from and there will be a tremendous amount of evidence that I made a hunting trip to that state.

I don't know anybody who considers what you have at home, as possession.
You are wrong on this issue. But then again it probably depends on what your home state laws are. That's certainly not the case in South Dakota. Read the SD Reg in my original post on this thread. I agree with you that the first ones to be dealt with are the ones that exceed the daily bag limit. But someone who has way over the possession limit in their home freezer should also be arrested. I guess I don't see the need to shoot that many roosters even if you could. Guess that's probably a younger generation thing, shoot as many as you can. I'm older and for me it's about the hunt, not the number of birds I can shoot or have in possession.

See the article I posted about Michigan. It seems there are some COs who would count what's in your home freezer. Granted, that's fishing, but in some states possession most definitely includes what you have at home. Even the actual regs posted at the beginning of this thread confirm it.

I was trying to recall if I've ever heard of anyone getting in trouble for possession limit violations in hunting and I can't.

From what I can gather, SD still regards the possession limits of pheasants to include one's domicile.

This topic has me curious as to the actual laws. Here are some snippets from the South Dakota Codified Laws:
41:06:03:02
(2) Pheasants and grouse, unless processed at a wildlife processing facility and accompanied by the receipt, or at the domicile of the possessor, shall include at least one of the following attached: the head, a fully feathered wing, or a foot;

41:06:08:03. Possession limit. A person may have in possession at any one time no more than 15 male pheasants taken according to the daily bag limit.

Here is an interesting one from the fishing regulations. I believe the elimination of fish from the domicile to be included in the possession limit came in 2018. I think.
41:07:01:01(10) "Possession limit" means the maximum number of fish excluding those stored at a person's domicile, as defined by SDCL 41-1-1, that the person may possess or control as long as the fish were taken in compliance with daily limits;

I hunt a lot, because I choose to, and I can; I shoot a lot of birds because I hunt 50 days or more per year, it’s not because I am an overzealous killer. I prepare a lot of my birds for my coworkers, my mechanic and his crew, clients, friends, etc, and I eat a lot of my birds, too. I give cleaned birds to several clients, family, and friends. I don’t think I’m ever over my possession limit at my house, but frankly, it’s low on my list of things to worry about. Drinking and driving? Yup, make sure I don’t do it. Take my meds religiously? For sure. Max out my retirement contributions, and monitor my asset mix? Yes. Stay in touch with my elderly parents, and help them with what I can? Of course. Stress out over if I have too many pheasants in my home freezer, while having licenses from 4 states, which creates a math conundrum that I’m indifferent about, to be honest? No. Never have, never will. If wardens were routinely knocking on doors, maybe, but I don’t believe I’m ever over in the first place, as I enjoy the sharing of my bounty. To each his own, stress out over what you will, I guess.

I pride myself on doing everything within legal and ethical boundaries. In Illinois our possession limit is 6 pheasants, and I'll admit I probably have a few more than that in my freezer at times. Obviously, some are from other states. If you are worried about a CO checking your freezer, you probably have a lot more to worry about than the number of birds in your freezer. I always leave a wing attached to my birds, and label them with the date and state they were taken in. I do this more for transportation purposes, and I think labeling is required by law in SD. I may be incorrect about that, so correct me if I'm wrong. I do know one thing, when I'm leaving SD after my annual hunt, I never have more than 15 with me for sure.

I breast my birds when home, and when I put about 3-4 birds’ breasts in a gallon freezer ziplock, and roll it up tight to remove any air, it looks just like pork tenderloin. If a CO wants to thaw it and do genome sequencing or split the atom to determine what I’ve got, that’d be great…I’ll pour a drink and watch!🍻🤣

I breast my birds when home, and when I put about 3-4 birds’ breasts in a gallon freezer ziplock, and roll it up tight to remove any air, it looks just like pork tenderloin. If a CO wants to thaw it and do genome sequencing or split the atom to determine what I’ve got, that’d be great…I’ll pour a drink and watch!🍻🤣
I'm not a 100 bird a year guy, but I might be a 40 give or take.i agree with that guy who said not to go over the possession limit on a hunting trip.Or a daily limit, unless you blow one up.

I hunt several states every fall, usually 4, this year maybe one more. I hunt with a group in ND and not every one wants to bring all their birds home. I volunteer to take any birds not wanted. So I called the CO and asked how I could legally take 60 (depends on the year) birds home. I was told to get a written statement from each person with license number ,dates taken, bird species etc and I would be ok. FYI i do store them at my home, but I donate most to the local Veterans home. I also keep my limits if taken from all states in the same freezer. Yes, I do label bird species and state on the bag. My local CO told me I would have no issues if checked. But I don’t worry about being checked.

I'm not a 100 bird a year guy, but I might be a 40 give or take.i agree with that guy who said not to go over the possession limit on a hunting trip.Or a daily limit, unless you blow one up.
REALLY??
So if you BLOW UP A BIRD—you don’t count it as being part of your limit?😳 Just toss ‘stomp it do you? That’s a violation or actually could be several-—example—wanton waste-over limit—
How about all the cripples that —you can’t shoot well enough to kill and your super untrained dog can’t find?
Believe you claim to be from Montana—-You are only allowed 9 pheasants in your possession-in any form
You really should refrain from giving advice on this subject—or any other really—

Let me run a scenario by you guys. I hunt multiple states, ND, SD, Iowa, MN. I also do some hunting at game farms. I stock pile my birds and have a big Christmas dinner of Pheasant meat. I have a license for each state and I have possession limits for each state, I could literally have 45-60 birds in my freezer at some point in the year. How would the CO handle that if he came and looked in my freezer? How do I keep my SD birds seperate from my Iowa birds? I think the point of the law is really about not over harvesting any game animal by one person. I would never leave ND with more than my possession limit for that state of birds shot in that state.
Joel-and others-
Based on a good deal of experience regarding this subject—
In the scenario you gave-
‘If you had the licenses necessary to cover the number of birds you possess—that should take care of any issue—BUT—if you or others in this kind of scenario want to be extra careful receipts from hunted areas should/remove all doubts—credit card-gas-hotel-meals ect.

Not aimed at you Joel—
BUT-a warden/c.o. does not have the right too just show up and demand to inspect your freezer-refrigerator-home—
WITH OUT A WARRANT OR YOUR PERMISSION—FOURTH AMENDMENT!! Applies

I’ve heard of a CO showing up and busting fisherman who are egregiously over the limit, but never poking around checking for pheasants…happens, I’m sure…

Drinking and driving? Yup, make sure I don’t do it. Take my meds religiously? For sure. Max out my retirement contributions, and monitor my asset mix? Yes. Stay in touch with my elderly parents, and help them with what I can? Of course. Stress out over if I have too many pheasants in my home freezer, while having licenses from 4 states, which creates a math conundrum that I’m indifferent about, to be honest? No. Never have, never will.

Benelli Banger, most of your posts are informative and helpful.

This one is not. Taking meds and maxing out retirement has nothing to do with following the law. The rest of do not care if you take your daily medicine.

You are basically admitting to poaching on a public forum with this statement. Considering how much hunting you do every season, and I assume you enjoy it, I would suggest being more detailed in your approach on a possession limit. Labeling and keeping numerical track of packaged birds from the state it originated is not a difficult thing to do. Although the chance of getting caught is rare, it does happen. And as I previously stated, its a moral thing since enforcement is limited.

I'd be curious how some of you feel about taking too many deer. In my opinion, most people really don't like it if someone takes more than 1 deer a year (or however many your state allows).

Why wouldn't you care the same about pheasants or other game birds? And maybe those of you that don't care about possession limits for birds, don't care about taking too many deer either.

I pride myself in being a steward of the land when it comes to being a hunter. I abide by the regs, don't take too many birds than I'm supposed to, etc. I'm kinda surprised everyone here isn't on the same page with this.

Yes not drinking and driving is a good thing to do (also a law, like possession limits) but how hard is it to eat your birds during the season if you want to hunt alot? Shoot 100 birds a year if you want. Just eat them as you go. The point of possession limits is to restrict over hunting. Whether you agree with it or not.

Well played @Munster927. Just because someone harvests more birds and hunts in multiple states does not mean they are exempt from keeping track and following the law.

I for one would like to see more enforcement officers out there both in the field/forests, and on the lakes/rivers.

The vacuum sealers do work better.

Back