Dove Hunting

Labchaser

Hey everyone, I am thinking about heading your way the 2nd week of September to do some dove hunting. I have done a little bit of research and it seems like the western portion of the state near the Colorado line maybe a good place to find a few. I was just wondering if I am hot or cold? I can figure it all out when I get there but was just wondering if that was a good start. I have pheasant, quail, and Turkey hunted out that way but I have not been there during dove season. Thanks!

I had some good dove hunts in the nc part of the state last year. If you wait until after the 15th of sept, you can chase chickens, double check but I think that went through. And there is a number of nice looking walk in fishing ponds. You could go for a sept. slam

I had some good dove hunts in the nc part of the state last year. If you wait until after the 15th of sept, you can chase chickens, double check but I think that went through. And there is a number of nice looking walk in fishing ponds. You could go for a sept. slam
Thanks, that is where I have pheasant and quail hunted. I did see a good many chickens but could not get within 5 miles of them...January though.

Thanks, that is where I have pheasant and quail hunted. I did see a good many chickens but could not get within 5 miles of them...January though.
In my experience, any part of the state will do well, depending on what has been cut and what hasn’t, my suggestion would find an area that has had a small portion of corn cut so the birds are concentrated to one area not a broad area. Water and your good

In my experience, any part of the state will do well, depending on what has been cut and what hasn’t, my suggestion would find an area that has had a small portion of corn cut so the birds are concentrated to one area not a broad area. Water and your good
I agree with that. It can be good anywhere. Hunt water or hunt feed.

If you hunt water, you want level, clear banks. Doves want to be able to see danger sneaking up on them. If it's rained recently and there's sheet water in the fields or puddles in the ditches, water can be a disappointing hunt. If you're close enough to a town that there are multiple houses on every section, each with it's own sewage lagoon or scenic mudhole, water can be a disappointing hunt. But if water is relatively scarce, the right pond or overflow from a cattle tank can be awesome!

Depending on the progress of the corn harvest and the local management practices for wheat stubble, feed can also be a good hunt. There is often a lot of food on the landscape at that time of year between wheat fields harvested about now that haven't been worked yet and corn that is newly cut. The first cornfield in an area can be a great hunt. 3 days later when there are many more cut it will be disappointing. Don't be afraid to walk a wheat stubble or corn stubble and shoot them on the flush. These will be longer shots. I don't do this with dogs because dogs make them flush at even longer ranges and it's often too hot for them.

anywhere is likely to be ok.
pattern the birds and scout your ground, they move in and out of areas over night, crap shoot.

Thanks everyone...we shoot most of our birds over sunflowers that time of year which is why I was thinking the NW part of the state. They will spread out when farmers start combining corn but concentrate back on the sunflowers once the waste grain begins to sprout. I am sure there are a ton more migratory birds that are coming through there than here and hit whatever is available when they are coming through. Powerlines and irrigation systems are good places to look around here and I am sure it is the same out there. Thanks for all of the help.

Geez, I talked myself into going to Montana to grouse hunt. Now I am not sure what to do...haha! I may just throw the mojo dove and 7.5’s in the truck and follow through with the original plan. Good luck tomorrow!

got a few in NW. seen more, seen less in past years. breast halves now brining to be bacon wrapped with a slice of apple. crops full of either wheat or milkweed seeds.

Last edited:
Over here in Missouri around lake of the Ozark’s we haven’t even thought about getting the combine out to shell corn. Still green and high moisture. My dove hunting was supposed to be awesome this week so scheduled vacation. Plan b is go to a spring south of me and catch tame trout all week. At least I will be outside.

Over here in Missouri around lake of the Ozark’s we haven’t even thought about getting the combine out to shell corn. Still green and high moisture. My dove hunting was supposed to be awesome this week so scheduled vacation. Plan b is go to a spring south of me and catch tame trout all week. At least I will be outside.
It’s picking up for sure, we had a nice Labor Day hunt this eve

We had two good hunts around Wichita, Thursday the 2nd and Monday the 6th. There were more doves than we have seen in many years. I really have no idea why. My friend who's land we hunt just noticed birds starting to show up the weekend of the 28th and 29th. He has about the only cut corn in the area, so they were pretty concentrated.

On the other hand, on Saturday afternoon we were out in central Kansas in an area that has been good for several years. westksbowhunter might be right that all the rain Thursday night through Saturday morning drove them off. Even if it didn't drive them off, it raised the water level in the pond I hunt up into the weeds.

We saw birds out north of Greensburg. Rained all night and the roads to our spot were too bad. Ended up just making a scenic drive. Did see quite a few on wires and fences. A few of the fields we've done really well in the past were stubble and hadn't been turned over. Overall a bust. Guess its going to happen on occasion. Saw a ton of teal in the standing water out in the fields.

My wife and were out Sunday I was working my pup so she did most of the shooting. I went back Monday evening to another pond that we saw more using on the day before. The cows came in about 7 but we were done so I picked up the mojos and threw the birds on the bank for a quick picture.

Attachments

• 22EEB38B-20BD-4DB2-8AC8-1A174DB4F3AC.jpeg
    22EEB38B-20BD-4DB2-8AC8-1A174DB4F3AC.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 626FEA53-9C1B-4DE7-83AB-84FBA731D62B.jpeg
    626FEA53-9C1B-4DE7-83AB-84FBA731D62B.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 29813778-1F52-4ECC-BE35-70A9D38E9FE8.jpeg
    29813778-1F52-4ECC-BE35-70A9D38E9FE8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
My wife and were out Sunday I was working my pup so she did most of the shooting. I went back Monday evening to another pond that we saw more using on the day before. The cows came in about 7 but we were done so I picked up the mojos and threw the birds on the bank for a quick picture.
We had two good hunts around Wichita, Thursday the 2nd and Monday the 6th. There were more doves than we have seen in many years. I really have no idea why. My friend who's land we hunt just noticed birds starting to show up the weekend of the 28th and 29th. He has about the only cut corn in the area, so they were pretty concentrated.

On the other hand, on Saturday afternoon we were out in central Kansas in an area that has been good for several years. westksbowhunter might be right that all the rain Thursday night through Saturday morning drove them off. Even if it didn't drive them off, it raised the water level in the pond I hunt up into the weeds.
I don't think it really drove them off just relocated. I am hoping that when it dries up that my ponds will produce.

Back