Cheap lead shells

I think there will be some cheaper lead 4-6 shells at places like Walmark. But I don't think they'll be last year's cheap. I wouldn't pass up $11 a box, if you need some. But who knows?

Last edited:
In northern Indiana/SW Michigan we have Meijer stores, akin to Wal Mart. Today while shopping, I visited one and they had 3 boxes of Winchester Super X 12 gauge 1 ounce #7.5 loads for $7.99. I have enough 12's so left those alone, but they also had 7 boxes of Winchester 20 gauge Super X, 7/8 ounces of #7.5 for $7.99. That's a bit higher than what I've seen at Wal Mart, but if one does a lot of subsequent running around looking for cheaper 20 gauge loads, the $7.99/box is probably cheaper, so I bought some of those. We seem to be able to find shotgun loads here, but some are costly. For instance, in a small town SE of home there is a hardware store that carries Browning shotguns and rifles as well as Colt, S&W and Nighthawk handguns, etc. They sell Browning shotgun loads but I'm not paying $10.99/box for 1 1/8 ounce of #8 12 gauge shells. The 20's are even higher.

I think there will be some cheaper lead 4-6 shells at places like Walmark. But I don't think they'll be last year's cheap. I wouldn't pass up $11 a box, if you need some. But who knows?
I hope so. 12 dollars a box is my limit for magnums.

In northern Indiana/SW Michigan we have Meijer stores, akin to Wal Mart. Today while shopping, I visited one and they had 3 boxes of Winchester Super X 12 gauge 1 ounce #7.5 loads for $7.99. I have enough 12's so left those alone, but they also had 7 boxes of Winchester 20 gauge Super X, 7/8 ounces of #7.5 for $7.99. That's a bit higher than what I've seen at Wal Mart, but if one does a lot of subsequent running around looking for cheaper 20 gauge loads, the $7.99/box is probably cheaper, so I bought some of those. We seem to be able to find shotgun loads here, but some are costly. For instance, in a small town SE of home there is a hardware store that carries Browning shotguns and rifles as well as Colt, S&W and Nighthawk handguns, etc. They sell Browning shotgun loads but I'm not paying $10.99/box for 1 1/8 ounce of #8 12 gauge shells. The 20's are even higher.
Ok, this is the thing.For pheasant, no less than 1 1-4 oz. Loads.You need good knock down power.You can usually find them for less than 12 dollars a box.

Sorry to respectfully disagree---BUT one certainly does not need 1 1/4 ounce loads to kill pheasants. I've used 1 1/8 ounce 16 gauge Remington Express (green/yellow box) #5's and 6's for years and successfully harvested birds with very few lost. For that matter, in the early to mid-1990's when there was a strong population locally, I killed birds with a 20 gauge Parker Reproduction SxS using 1 ounce #5 and #6 Remington loads.
I try hard to avoid the straightaway "rump" shots where all the fat and feathers are. Other than that I take the shots as they come; we don't get that many chances anymore just to blow off an opportunity. I use a flushing dog and he is a strong retriever. I don't feel undergunned with the above.

Our kill ratios the last couple years have been the same with 20’s as 12’s. Bought my buddy a 16 so this year we are taking only 16’s and 20’s and leaving the 12’s at home. Don't feel under gunned at all. Will be shooting 1 and some 1 1/8 oz loads.

I would buy whatever Pheasant appropriate load you can find. Prices have jumped with most manufacturers and or retailers, so not sure you will find your pre 20 reasonable price. I too have seen Win High Brass for less than 10 a box at Walmart recently, (though only in 20) which is surprising. I've been keeping an eye on my local retailers of various sort, and with the Dove opener here, and practically nothing for them ammo-wise for the last 6 weeks or so, I don't have high hopes for the ammo companies to come thru for the remainder of the year for much of us bird guys, at least in store. I've got what I need for the season, but I really miss going to pick up another box I don't really need, just to try it. Lol. Good luck...

I know a guy who said he shoots limits with a .410. Maybe his great grandma was Annie Oakley. I'm sticking to a 12 w/a square load (1 1/4 ounce) and an I.C. choke. Call me an uncivilized savage if you must. 👺
That's my formula as well.I use 4s a lot, usually Remington, or federal. I don't like browning, or that high dollar golden pheasant. I use full choke at times, and extra full for turkeys. I like Remington, Browning, and LC Smith.I have owned 3 Beretta over unders.Nice guns, but not my go to.

I know a guy who said he shoots limits with a .410. Maybe his great grandma was Annie Oakley. I'm sticking to a 12 w/a square load (1 1/4 ounce) and an I.C. choke. Call me an uncivilized savage if you must. 👺
I agree with Bob on this. An ounce and a quarter of 5s in 12 gauge with an improved cylinder choke will mask a fair shooter and will seem to be as good as anyone. The open pattern also won't destroy the bird, if you give them just that extra half second. You will need a lot fewer second shots...*I do shoot over pointers. Guessing if you have a pointer, you practice this already. Flushers you usually won't be giving any extra time to the bird and maybe a modified (or tighter) choke depending on how close/far the dog works. Can hardly wait the short 2 months we have now!

If shells were $50 a box I would still buy exactly what I wanted and what I needed. Isn't there more important things to worry about than the price, I am more worried about availability. Really for hunting, shells are one of the least expensive parts. Most guys won't but 3 or 4 boxes pheasant hunting per year. Back during the golden years when we had good number of birds, I would use less than a case per season unless we got into a lot of quail.

Last edited:
Back