For those of you with GPS collars..

cyclonenation10

How durable are the antennas on the handheld and collars? I recently purchased the Sportdog Tek 2.0 and love the collar and handheld thus far. Everything has worked pretty much flawlessly thus far, however I can't help but wonder just how durable the antennas are in general on these type of collars. Mine have started to bend slightly on both the handheld and collars, is this a concern? Has anyone had issues with antennas not lasting very long? I attach my handheld to my belt via a clip and so it just kind of dangles along my thigh and bounces around a decent amount. Like I said, no issues so far, but curious if they can be expected to last a full hunting season?

No experience with the collar you mentioned, but my Garmin Alpha antennas have held up quite well. They do get a bend on the collar antenna but mine are due primarily to how I store them.

Also, you should be able to buy replacement antennas should you need to one day. My Garmin antennas on the collar and handhelds are easily removable and I can get spares from Gun Dog Supply pretty inexpensively. I assume Sportdog would be the same.

The antennas on my Garmin Alpha have held up very well. I've ordered extra antennas that I keep in my hunting bag just in case one get destroyed or lost.
That's actually a pretty good idea. I may need to get another for my handheld. I have the 2 shorter antennas that came with the collars but I probably should bring them with me. Never thought about in field destruction or losing them.

My handheld came with two antennas, long and short. Same as the collars.

You're right. I remember now the handheld did have a 2nd crazy long antenna. I'll have to throw it in my bag too. Thanks for the reminder 5 👍👍

Lol, it seems crazy long to me also.

I started with an Astro 220 and DC 30 collars probably 14 years ago and now run an Astro 430 and T5 collars and have ran between 3-6 collars every year. Over the years I have probably replaced 4-5 antennas on the collars and I hunt 45 + days a year. I have only replaced one antenna on a handheld and that when I got it caught in the pickup door. I purchased Tuff Skin aftermarket antennas for the collars from Outdoor Dog Supply. They work well and are reasonably priced. I carry one in my electronics bag when I travel.

I’m looking at the alpha 10 atm. Anyone have one yet? I’d be interested to hear any feedback on this model.
Buy the 200i - well worth the money in that you can see the screen in the sun. That was my biggest complaint with the 100 - that and all the garbage bloatware that was on it - they thinned some of that out and I think you can remove it. Broke it in last season.

Thanks KsHusker I’ll check that one out! I’m not really in a big hurry right now- I still have time. I’m really hoping to hear some feedback on the alpha 10- it is the next/ newest generation to the alpha 100. My brother has the 100- too big and too clicky- I have a hunch that garmin streamlined it with the 10. It’s definitely smaller too.

Thanks KsHusker I’ll check that one out! I’m not really in a big hurry right now- I still have time. I’m really hoping to hear some feedback on the alpha 10- it is the next/ newest generation to the alpha 100. My brother has the 100- too big and too clicky- I have a hunch that garmin streamlined it with the 10. It’s definitely smaller too.
My friend has the 550 or whatever the super basic trainer/gps model is below the Alpha 100 in the past -- I think it's relatively new too - It worked well for what it was --- if they still offer it check it out or maybe the 10 is a revamped version of what my buddy has.

I had made my bed with the 100 system and was deep enough in I already had 3 collars so just dumped more money on the 200i -- Guess the main deal is how much you want to spend - do you care about color screen or not and really how simple do you want to go.

I do like the 200i screen, easy to see as I said and they simplified it a lot - also the mapping feature and track feature is better IMO than on the 100 -- Kind of neat to see where you and your dog went -- is it really worth the extra cost - I dont know -- but I stopped gambling, dont smoke and really dont drink anymore - so I figured what the hell - I'll call this my addiction.

Buy the 200i - well worth the money in that you can see the screen in the sun. That was my biggest complaint with the 100 - that and all the garbage bloatware that was on it - they thinned some of that out and I think you can remove it. Broke it in last season.
How easy is the 200i to use as far as correction settings go? I've been using Dogtra stuff for close to 20 years but don't really want to try the Pathfinder system they offer as it's a little convoluted and am used to dial on the Dogtra unit. My lab hunts close but there are times it would be nice where he is in the thicker/taller stuff and am intrigued by the ability to easily track the hunts before and after seeing how much ground was covered. Not to mention being able to pair it up with my watch to give the direction of the dog without having to look down at the unit itself. I was leaning towards the 550 pro or whatever it is but feel I might have buyers remorse.

I don’t think the 550 pro has a map screen. It’s a much more streamlined approach than the 100. It point to your dogs location rather than show it’s path on a map. It has a faster process time too. I almost bought it, it’s a good system. I currently have the one under it- sport pro. Which has no hiccups but does not have a gps system. My youngest dog is now coming up on 3 yrs old this November- she is a trailblazer and the main reason I’m looking to upgrade. The other dogs are so dialed in I don’t ever correct them with the collar, but I do use it for commands.

How easy is the 200i to use as far as correction settings go? I've been using Dogtra stuff for close to 20 years but don't really want to try the Pathfinder system they offer as it's a little convoluted and am used to dial on the Dogtra unit. My lab hunts close but there are times it would be nice where he is in the thicker/taller stuff and am intrigued by the ability to easily track the hunts before and after seeing how much ground was covered. Not to mention being able to pair it up with my watch to give the direction of the dog without having to look down at the unit itself. I was leaning towards the 550 pro or whatever it is but feel I might have buyers remorse.
1000x easier than the alpha 100

You can program several dogs corrections in (if you're running more than one)

There's a toggle switch on the right side -- you just push the up or down button (a physical button - think your volume button on the side of your phone - but BIG and easy to use with gloves) --- anyways that toggles between the dogs at the top 3 correction buttons which you can pre-program what they are (vib, tone, continuous, momentous etc and intensity -- you can also change intensity once it's up - but you can have presets)

You can choose to lock that button too (and all inputs) or just lock the screen while it's in your pocket

I really like it - the 550 is good too - my buddy has it and works well - just a really simple b/w screen that has an arrow showing the direction the dogs are from you and distance -- I think it may have a button at the top you twist to switch between dogs for correction - I cant remember.

Have had the Alpha 100 and tt15 collars for 8 or 10 years now. Never a problem with the ant. on the handheld.
Get one or two seasons out of the collar ants. on average before failure. Keep a couple replacements in the Garmin bag.

Back