Does Your Lawn Have Weeds...

John Singer

...because you are a pheasant hunter?

I often wonder, when I pull into the driveway after a hunt, and step out of my vehicle, if am seeding my lawn with noxious weeds.

Now there is a good point here. Do I care about my lawn? Oh hell no, the weed seeds would have to compete with dandelions which make up the majority of my lawn. But I never brush my dogs out in another field other than the one I've hunted them in. Generally I try to brush them out and put the crap in a garbage bag and than in a trash can at a gas station. Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense but at least I am making a small effort to stop invasive weeds from spreading.

Now there is a good point here. Do I care about my lawn? Oh hell no, the weed seeds would have to compete with dandelions which make up the majority of my lawn. But I never brush my dogs out in another field other than the one I've hunted them in. Generally I try to brush them out and put the crap in a garbage bag and than in a trash can at a gas station. Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense but at least I am making a small effort to stop invasive weeds from spreading.
I’ve never thought about that, it is a good point.

As a landowner I would look askance at dog with a bunch of weeds in its fur coming to hunt.

Between round up, weed-B-gone and fertilizer I'm not worried that there are seeds landing in my yard.

Between round up, weed-B-gone and fertilizer I'm not worried that there are seeds landing in my yard.
Welllll.. Is roundup what we want our dogs running around in? I know that they and us come in contact with while hunting, but my dogs chew grass from my lawn(very loose definition), but I try to keep those toxins down around my house. My wife is adamant that we use no fertilizer or weed killer where our dogs can get into it, she might have a good point.

I generally only use round-up in my rock beds. Dog for the most part doesn't like walking in those. For the grass weed-b-gone is safe after it dries for people and animals. Same goes for the fertilizer.

My yard has weeds but I'm sure it doesn't relate to my hunting. No chemicals for me in my yard. I rarely even fertilize. For some reason, my neighbors who have yards out of better homes and gardens, never have birds in their yard (songbirds). My yard, where I don't try to compete in the lawn competition, I have all kinds of squirrels and birds here. Something I've noticed the last few years and I wonder if there's any correlation.

Back