Emergency haying.

1. Forum Politics - Anything political is banned from this point forward. This is a pheasant hunting forum, I will leave it as such. If you want to get political, go over to Twitter. Twitter and/or Failbook are the perfect dumpster fires for politics. I am a libertarian/political dissident and I can’t stand politicians. I don't care if you don't agree with me. This is a free service.

Thanks Dad. So glad you are here to hawk posts in the “anyone but people who live in SD forum”.

My hunting season will "officially" kick off on September 1st with the start of dove season. Goose season is open and I did go out for a little bit, but haven't hunted seriously. When I do get out and about, it will give me an opportunity to assess the amount of haying that is occurring on public ground in this area. FWIW, 90% of my public land hunting is on WPA's. Every few years those get grazed, cut or burned. I don't like it when I show up to hunt and the cover is gone, but it isn't the end of the world. Pheasants adapt and so will I. I'll try to do a follow up post on what I discover.

Additionally, it has been a very wet August. Yesterday was as vicious of a storm as I can remember. And when running out to see if my boat was still on the lift, I encountered a black pheasant. Granted, it was a regular ringneck whose feathers were fully saturated, but I did do a double take.

You have one hell of a case of last-word-itis

Hey "good boy"--you don't have the corner on hard luck stories; all you have to do is visit a few Native American reservations in pheasant country (ND or SD) and you will see Third World at its grittiest. I suppose you'll tell me now how much worse it was in Outer Mongolia or some damn place but if you want to be a real do-gooder I suggest you start at home. And you can take your sanctimonious bullshit and you know what to do with it. I'm still seething from your idiotic, lame, cowardly excuse for a President's decisions that resulted in exceeding loss of life yesterday of people I care about. And don't parse words with me, I have a dictionary too and I'm in no mood for your left wing bullshit.

I live to hunt birds , but I also grew up on a farm / ranch and now do that on the side. Drought is tough we went through it in Oklahoma from about 09 to 13 or 14. Ponds went dry lakes went dry, we had fields where the grass didn’t just stop growing it died out completely. If emergency baling saves some farms , I get it. It’ll be tough hunting but the rains will come and it’ll be alright in the end.

Hey "good boy"--you don't have the corner on hard luck stories; all you have to do is visit a few Native American reservations in pheasant country (ND or SD) and you will see Third World at its grittiest. I suppose you'll tell me now how much worse it was in Outer Mongolia or some damn place but if you want to be a real do-gooder I suggest you start at home. And you can take your sanctimonious bullshit and you know what to do with it. I'm still seething from your idiotic, lame, cowardly excuse for a President's decisions that resulted in exceeding loss of life yesterday of people I care about. And don't parse words with me, I have a dictionary too and I'm in no mood for your left wing bullshit.
Wolfchief,
I have the upmost respect for Native culture, the continued struggle for equal treatment and resources to combat societal ills within your communities.
When I threw out the 80% of the world struggling, that included ALL indigenous peoples. I've got a website (pm me if you want to call bullshit and I'll get you the information) that contributes to the Native American College Fund, so I do start at home and it was a result of my time elsewhere that led me to look closer to home.
It's true sir, obviously, that I'm a liberal. Doesn't mean one size fits all whether it be red or blue.
As to the current situation and loss of life, there were major screwups. Biden is to blame for the most recent and most tragic screwup, doesn't take a conservative to see that.
What else don't you want to hear....oh, "people you care about"... doesn't take a conservative to care about our soldiers, if someone knows a soldier personally, then, yes, I don't know their pain...as to parsing words???? It's really just me trolling labrador because, like a scab, I can't resist picking at it...
Seems like your reaction is a visceral reaction due to current events, elections, and other things difficult to control.

Burn some sage and forget about my drivel.

I have the same thought.
Only different.

Okkaaay... just got off the phone with Mr Todd, 30 miles west of Salem... he was hauling water as the herd is pretty much locked down eating silage and being watered.... says they got 70 points? of moisture, I believe ( not sure what that means)... Still crops out and will cut his high moisture corn soon with the other to be cut later.. said some green in the ditches and they're not mowed around his area...
Nothing really different in that from what has been detailed here previously, he just wasn't talking disastrous at this point.

Things will be cramped for the majority of areas. One doggers should have more birds in their small blow downs and tree lines
😇

I have the same thought.
Only different.

Okkaaay... just got off the phone with Mr Todd, 30 miles west of Salem... he was hauling water as the herd is pretty much locked down eating silage and being watered.... says they got 70 points? of moisture, I believe ( not sure what that means)... Still crops out and will cut his high moisture corn soon with the other to be cut later.. said some green in the ditches and they're not mowed around his area...
Nothing really different in that from what has been detailed here previously, he just wasn't talking disastrous at this point.

Things will be cramped for the majority of areas. One doggers should have more birds in their small blow downs and tree lines
😇
.7 inch I suspect…I’m in touch with farmers kinda close by and they were around .5

I have the same thought.
Only different.

😇
Like BB said 7 10ths or 70 hundreths

Apparently I'm late to the party here today with my notifications.

Seriously.... you can't talk even pheasant hunting anymore without bringing up the government. But then again, some hunting does exist because of government programs, etc... so I do like the government for hunting and protecting our shared natural resources. The ridiculousness of the left / right is such a farce and so is this thread.

Maybe we should get into a debate about Keynesian vs Austrian economics? Why? no point. Weird that most empires fall at 250 years... 1776... do the math, we are at the end. It has nothing to do with Joe Biden, Donald Trump or any previous president. This has to do with the politicians, aristocrats and peasants fighting over the most minuscule stupid shit.

Why are we failing in society or this "empire", I believe, moral decay based on history. No one really knows why Rome fell. Maybe it was moral decay. People fighting in "online forums", in bars, etc. talking about Orange Man like he's the bogey man. My uncle almost has a seizure when talking about Donald Trump and how Joe Biden is the savior of the universe.

I realize we are all getting pressured to "pick sides" in every part of the world these days. Yes, I get it, but it's not happening here in this forum. I'm political atheist. You guys want to start talking about any president or politicians, I'll start banning people with no warning. All politicians are stealing from us at the end of the day, so if we can't agree on that, then we should all just accept our fate in 2026 (plus or minus a few years) at the end of the empire as idiots - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

I was in Ipswich this morning and took the long way home back to Watertown. Here are some of my observations.

1. The recent moisture has greened things up all over the place. This is good. On the downside, there was some serious hail damage, some south of Ipswich, in the Warner area especially and then more hail damage south of Webster. While the damage wasn't widespread, that means little to the farmers whose crops were ultimately destroyed. A few years back, hail wiped out a lot pheasants in the Clark area. They rebounded and it was earlier in the season (chicks took the brunt), but it can be devastating.

2. Mowing. Fortunately, I did not see a lot of haying on the places I hunt. Granted, that is predominantly WPA's, but there were two spots that had been hayed. Additionally, the dryness in the early summer seems to have stunted the growth and while there isn't much left in the growing season, there is some and now the moisture is present for it to take place. I remain optimistic.

3. Overall. I think conditions will be more favorable than some might think. Granted, so much of pheasant hunting is hyperlocal that I cannot speak for the entirety of northeastern SD, but where I hunt looks good. Not great, but certainly not bad. My drive occurred around noon and I did not see any pheasants. With tall corn and soybeans, in addition to the typical day of the pheasant, that doesn't surprise me. They are there, but I'd need Sage to help me find them. ;)

Pheasant hunting is a special undertaking. Some years are better than others. Based solely on my annual harvest since I've had Sage (circa 2014), 2020 was the best, even though the pup was on the IR for the end of December and all but the last week in January. The winter was mild. Brood rearing conditions were less than optimal, but not abysmal. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say numbers will be slightly down from 2020 based on the spring/summer. But I could be greatly surprised and will do my best to foster that experience.

I was in Ipswich this morning and took the long way home back to Watertown. Here are some of my observations.

1. The recent moisture has greened things up all over the place. This is good. On the downside, there was some serious hail damage, some south of Ipswich, in the Warner area especially and then more hail damage south of Webster. While the damage wasn't widespread, that means little to the farmers whose crops were ultimately destroyed. A few years back, hail wiped out a lot pheasants in the Clark area. They rebounded and it was earlier in the season (chicks took the brunt), but it can be devastating.

2. Mowing. Fortunately, I did not see a lot of haying on the places I hunt. Granted, that is predominantly WPA's, but there were two spots that had been hayed. Additionally, the dryness in the early summer seems to have stunted the growth and while there isn't much left in the growing season, there is some and now the moisture is present for it to take place. I remain optimistic.

3. Overall. I think conditions will be more favorable than some might think. Granted, so much of pheasant hunting is hyperlocal that I cannot speak for the entirety of northeastern SD, but where I hunt looks good. Not great, but certainly not bad. My drive occurred around noon and I did not see any pheasants. With tall corn and soybeans, in addition to the typical day of the pheasant, that doesn't surprise me. They are there, but I'd need Sage to help me find them. ;)

Pheasant hunting is a special undertaking. Some years are better than others. Based solely on my annual harvest since I've had Sage (circa 2014), 2020 was the best, even though the pup was on the IR for the end of December and all but the last week in January. The winter was mild. Brood rearing conditions were less than optimal, but not abysmal. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say numbers will be slightly down from 2020 based on the spring/summer. But I could be greatly surprised and will do my best to foster that experience.
Constructive post, thanks.

Back