Getting on pheasants during the summer?

cyclonenation10

Just wondered if there were any tactics others had to get their birds on dogs this time of year? I have been trying to get my puppy on some birds the last few days after giving them a break during nesting, but haven't had much luck. I know there are plenty of birds around, as many of these areas are places I'll flush 50+ birds during a fall hunt. The mornings are definitely the coolest temp wise, but the dew has been really heavy. I imagine this is likely the main reason I haven't had much luck seeing birds in the early AM - along with the fact that crops and everything else provide ample cover this time of year.

What does a pheasants day look like this time of year? Are they still roosting in grasses/forbes, or are they in the crop fields? Any other tips?

Thanks!

We have a griffon 3 month pup that we take to mowed trails on the edge of CRP fields towards evening. It's hit or miss, maybe 50% for us right now of flushing or I should say seeing birds. We flushed a hen and 10 chicks last weekend along a trail, the chics took full flight and all flew over 100 yards. We keep him on a leash and only on the trails, he got some good wiffs of scent where they were and went back and forth for a while just smelling. That's all I am trying to accomplish right now with birds, just getting the scent and getting use to fields. Pheasants seem to hang close to mowed trails or field edges later in the day. We don't knock ourselfs out, justing trying to get scent for the pup

I do not hurt a thing! I have my 3 month pup on a leash walking a mowed trail. Use some common sense before making your smart axx comments.
I made no comment to you or your leash walking. Re-read my comments before making your dumb axx comments. It was directed to what a pheasant day would look like. My comments were right on par with what many wildlife agencies recommend. https://pheasantsforever.org/BlogLa...ining-on-State-Wildlife-Ar.aspx?feed=articles

I made no comment to you or your leash walking. Re-read my comments before making your dumb axx comments. It was directed to what a pheasant day would look like. My comments were right on par with what many wildlife agencies recommend. https://pheasantsforever.org/BlogLa...ining-on-State-Wildlife-Ar.aspx?feed=articles
Wouldn’t they keep public lands closed later than Mid-July if the DNR believed it was hurting birds? I can’t imagine there would be much pushback on that, so I’ve just always trusted that I’m good to go in late July and August.

I am certainly open to changing my mind, however.

Quail hatch doesn't even occur til late June and through July. Quail tend to raise multiple broods so you may see hatching into August. Plus late hatch pheasants. I saw a few pheasant chicks that could not fly last week. Common sense would be to keep dogs away from them. Much too hot to be working dogs on birds right now anyway, unless you are talking early mornings in a controlled situation. Busting up a young brood of birds just opens them up to predators. Hawks, owls, coyotes, feral cats, etc.

I tend to agree with WestKS. I've always been of the mind to leave the wild birds alone right now due to late hatch/nest. Re-nest situations as well. Plus the stress factor of a dog locking up on them. Some weeks old chick may have a heart attack from that.

Our wild birds have enough problems and stresses with predation, lack of suitable habitat and drought this year.

Now Huede I think isnt harming much keeping his dog on a leash. My thoughts/comments are more directed at those that free run their dogs to get em on birds.

I’d would agree that buying pigeons and a tip up cage or a launcher is a far better way to train a pup. You know where the bird is. You can lead your pup into the scent cone. Control the situation. Praise the pup. Training on wild birds is way too unpredictable. IMHO

From IOWA hunting regulations:

WHERE RESTRICTED. All dogs are prohibited on all state-owned game management areas be- tween March 15 and July 15 of each year, except that dog training is permitted on designated training areas. Field and retriever meets are restricted to designated sites.
A permit must be obtained from the DNR for field and retriever meets. The permit shall show the exact designated site of the meet and all dogs shall be confined to that site.
TRAINING DOGS. Hunters need a valid Hunting License and have paid the Habitat Fee to train a bird dog on game birds.

Here in MN, you have to get a permit to use public land for dog training (except for state forests). And by use, I mean to bring your own pen raised pigeons in a launcher and fire a blank pistol. We also have a stay out date that I believe matches up with Iowas above.

Here in MN, you have to get a permit to use public land for dog training (except for state forests). And by use, I mean to bring your own pen raised pigeons in a launcher and fire a blank pistol. We also have a stay out date that I believe matches up with Iowas above.
Has anyone ever gotten the permit, are they easy to get?

WI has a bird dog training permit. Easy to get at a dnr office. I think it was $25 for 2 or 3 years.
Gives you options to run your dog off leash year round. Maybe convienent depending on your location.

Has anyone ever gotten the permit, are they easy to get?
Iooked into it a year or so ago. It seemed to be more hassle than worth. I was wrong in my earlier reply, I believe (don't quote me, I'm trying to remember an email conversation I had with a Conservation Officer from when I looked into the permit) the permit was still invalid on WMAs. The hunting regs simply state "no live ammunition or blank cartridges" when training your dog on WMAs. You can just run them before April 16th and after July 14th.

I attached the link for the permit Bob, that has more info. But all the public land near me is unusable (WMAs I can't use the permit on and Aquatic Management Areas near me say no discharging weapons which includes blanks).

State forests however, the permit linked can be used on, but the closest state forest is 50 minutes away from me so not really handy.

I am in the camp of not messing with the pheasants out of season, period. I put in a ton of time trying to build habitat and build the bird numbers, my dog never gets into anywhere that I would be pheasant hunting, outside of hunting season. Unless your dog is only a pup, he will remember what they are supposed to be looking for.

A pheasant day would look like a hen taking care of her chicks. Why in the world would you want to disrupt a hen raising her brood? Worst time of the year to try and put your dog on wild birds. Leave em alone and go buy some pigeons. You will have plenty of time this fall.
That is right.Do not disturb until November.

Back